Custom radio delete cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working up a cover in 18ga to finally cover my radio hole :) Will probably be blued/black but plan on brazing something in silver accents. Should I do the ugly “T” the plastic one sports, or maybe the old Japanese logo, etc.?
B71F85D4-EA26-40A3-8BF7-11B172212D8E.jpeg

Tell us how you folded the edges over. And the T, my thought would be to make the general shape out of a piece of hardwood and hammer into it, but I’m guessing you have a more clever method.

I like it.

Tell us how you folded the edges over. And the T, my thought would be to make the general shape out of a piece of hardwood and hammer into it, but I’m guessing you have a more clever method.

I like it.
Thanks, I’ll get better pictures up at some point. The 18ga is an excuse to break out a few body hammers and get some practice in. Just cold forged around a steel scraps bars - no heat required but hardwood would still be too soft to form the lips/corners. The T is 999 silver (been doing some jewelry work), brazed to the plate and hammered for texture. Two studs brazed to the back. Like most sheet metal the heat distortion needs to be considered. Maybe black paint with the silver T polished. Cruiser jewelry 😀

I like it to. Do one out of weathered copper. I always wanted to make one out of billet aluminum with a nice edge and all kinds of neat little details.

How do you plan on holding it in place over the hole?
The 2 studs on the back have temporary “found” springs bolted to them, I’ll put up another pict... Need some spring steel to fab a new set (that hold better) from the hardware store, etc. A simple bolted bracket on the back would also work, probably a tight reach from under dash to tighten things up. Also some rubber weather stripping on the plate’s edge to protect the paint - my original paint is a little worn around the radio hole anyway from the PO.

I like it to. Do one out of weathered copper. I always wanted to make one out of billet aluminum with a nice edge and all kinds of neat little details.
Copper would be easier! I had thought about brass (also easier) with black paint but the 18ga steel was all I had lying around. Like an old brass Leica camera - when the paint scrapes off the brass shows through.

I followed the link... $52 for a piece of plastic and currently no stock. Plastic makes great garbage can... metal seems right for a 40. :D

Plastic was OEM. Seemed to do well for many years. Also, I have a metal garbage can as well. And it is more bent up than my plastic ones. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom