Custom full-size floor mats for cargo bay (and more): $14! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Well, whenever I go wheeling, the back if full of boxes and stuff. I still have the rear OEM carpet, but it is starting to show age a bit, notably where it's over the bolts that hold the tie down. It's still in great shape but I don't want it to get worse.
So I looked for a way to get a decent looking custom rear floor covering. Wanted that inexpensive of course. I think I found something OK.

Floor tiles from Costco. These are intended to be used for softer floor covering. They are made of a semi-solid foam. Picture something halfway between hard rubber and pipe insulation. Or a fairly stiff neoprene suit. Beauty of it is that they are modular and cheap ($14 for 8 2'x2' with borders thrown in).

So I did the entire rear of the 80. Used only 6 out of the 8. Came out reasonable I think.

The good:
- price
- ease to work with, can be cut with scissors
- modular, remove or add at will for whatever reason.
- pieces cut cleanly can be reinstalled as cover for holes (see middle row seat tie down)
- easy to take the old carpet and trace over the foam and then cut
- will protect OEM carpet if put on top or can be used by itself.
- easy to replace a piece if it gets damaged
- the border pieces make it look a bit better.
- easy to trim around stuff and into curvy areas, will fit under side panels.
- not slippery
- great color match for the gray trucks. They also come in various funky colors (blue, red etc) for the daring ones.

the bad:
- a bit softer than I would have liked and maybe not that durable if you're careless with plopping down sharp metal stuff on them.
- took something like 3 hours to measure, cut, and put in (I'm slow)
- thin enough that without the carpet, the seat bracket bolts stick out a bit. (I will put in round heads soon.)

about 3/8" thick or so
the holes I cut in the back are not big enough for the rear seats holddowns, but easy to cut out bigger if I ever put the seats back in. I use these brackets as tiedowns for cargo for now.

here are some pics:
DSC01450 small.jpg
DSC01442 small.jpg
DSC01443 small.jpg

Last edited:
more pics
DSC01444 small.jpg
DSC01447 small.jpg
DSC01448 small.jpg

oh, needless to say, not a great solution for wet cargo, given the seams...

can use elsewhere in the truck and shop (intended for folks standing up to relieve leg and foot aches I guess).

I would be completely thrilled if they were a bit harder. Oh well...

Smart find.

I had just gotten some Husky Liners but this looks like a perfectly viable option.

Not bad Eric. BTW...you aren't slow, you are meticulous! :D

I've been looking for something cheap like that for it's intended use - in front of my workbench in the garage. Will check my local Costco.

nice find- I think this would be a good start for sleeping in the truck too!

I found out after I did mine that if you tape the seams on the backside it makes it quazi waterproof.

I use this in my 62 as well.

ah, good idea! thanks. May do that if needed.

nice work....i think that'll be my next project.

Sams Club has them too. I used it on the floor of my fish house. Good stuff, but is a little easy to scuff/cut if not careful.
P1012152.JPG
P1012239.JPG

Can't tell you how many times I've seen these in use in the dairies I visit. FWIW, NAPA also carries a simliar product, in case Costco isn't nearby.

too thin to be able to sleep on comfortably with nothing else. But will help some of course.

oh, needless to say, not a great solution for wet cargo, given the seams...

can use elsewhere in the truck and shop (intended for folks standing up to relieve leg and foot aches I guess).

I would be completely thrilled if they were a bit harder. Oh well...

If you removed the boarder trim at the back edge, would look just as good and eliminate a seam in a high traffic area. The stock chrome trim piece could be placed over this the keep the edge protected and in place when sliding items over it.

It looks really good and I bet it adds to the sound deadening.

I have a Tuffy liner that fits in the rear. It is medium hard 1/16th inch plastic, has a two inch high lip around the boarder to retain spills but it always slides around and makes the rear seats difficult to lock down. It always is difficult to slide a heavy object in without it being moved out of place.

If you removed the boarder trim at the back edge, would look just as good and eliminate a seam in a high traffic area. The stock chrome trim piece could be placed over this the keep the edge protected and in place when sliding items over it. snip

you're right, would have been better to cut off the teeth there, in fact. I was trying to save 2 entire tiles, which I did, but ended up with enough left over that I probably could have skipped the border, I think. Was close.

That looks great! I was on my way to costco to buy those same tiles when I stopped at a auto parts store and they had a rubber pickup bed liner on clearance that I trimed like you did for a full length mat that just went over the carpet. The best part of having a full length liner is that I can flip forward the seats and fill the back with car parts, firewood ect. without messing up the carpet. This is the most practical mod I have done.

IMG_1047-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom