Custom designed and fabricated wireless phone charger / cradle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ever want to be able to just set your phone on a cradle with one hand when you get into the LC and have it charge (no plugging it in!) and still be able to see the phone screen for Google maps, etc?

I've been working on variations of this wireless car charger / cradle for the last 2 years. I wanted a holder that I could just set my phone (Samsung S10+, but will work with any phone that supports wireless charging) on to charge (no plugging in) while I was driving, but I also wanted to be able to see the screen for maps, etc. The charger that I built into the design is a 10 watt faster charger, so it charges pretty fast. I embedded magnets into the body of the cradle and put the same plates that you use for the magnetic holders behind my phone case so I can drop the phone on / off the charger with one hand, and it stays in place while driving. I couldn't find one that met my requirements anywhere, so I designed / built my own.

I've tried the setup in 3 different configurations now (there's a metal plate on the back of the charger so it's easy to move the whole thing around) - vent holder, windshield holder and the CD mounted holder. I like the CD mounted holder the best, I think is looks the best, and is probably the most stable. It does cover up a little bit of the climate control stuff as you can see, but it's not bad. I've also made the back bracket adjustable so I can move the whole charger up / down for perfect placement.

It's printed in PETG, so it's extremely durable, and no issues at all in a super hot closed up car in the summer.

At their request, I've fabricated and sold a bunch to friends and acquaintances. If anyone is interested, please let me know. The price is $95 plus shipping.

Let me know what you think of the design!

(Originally posted to the 200 Forum, cross posting here since charging support is even more limited on the 100)

DSCF0493.jpg

DSCF0498.jpg

DSCF0487.jpg

DSCF0506.jpg

DSCF0511.jpg

Do you have a CD player in your dash? If it doesn't cover up anything critical, that might be the best bet. That's in pictures 2 and 5 above. Otherwise I know a lot of people are using the vent mount.

Want to PM the details of your phone and we can arrange the rest via PM?

The price of $95 includes:
- Cradle, wireless charging electronics inside the cradle, printed adjustable bracket
- 2 Metal strips with adhesive backing to attach to back of phone or inside case (so they line up with the magnets in the cradle)
- The attachment to the charging unit inside the case is USB C (this is the new standard and work much better than the older micro USB connectors)
- I guarantee the cradle will work with the wireless Qi charging with your phone / case. If it doesn't, send it back to me for a full refund, or better yet, I'll design and send you a new variant that works perfectly with your phone / case.

Does not include:
- USB cable - end that goes to the charger in the cradle needs to be USB C as mentioned
- USB charger that plugs into cigarette lighter - I recommend a 2.4A model for fastest charging, I prefer Anker or Aukey, or I can supply one for an additional fee if you want. I don't know how much power the USB connector outputs on my 2017, but I don't use that to power the cradle.

Does not include whatever method you want to attach to the truck:
- CD mounted magnetic base. I can supply this for an additional fee if you want, I recommend using the Apps2Car model found on Amazon.
OR
- Vent mount. I can supply this for an additional fee if you want, tons of great ones on Amazon.
OR
- Window mount. I can supply this for an additional fee, also many on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom