Custom D4D to H55F Bell Housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
High and dry in the desert, dancing between hemisp
Hello all,

I've met a Cruiser guy here in Australia who can make a bell housing to go from the 3.0 litre D4D Hilux/Prado turbo intercooled diesel to the H55F 5 speed (or the H41/2 if you're so inclined).

The advantages of this engine over a 3B, 13BT, 2H, 12HT or 2LT are that it is VERY powerful, efficient and modern. it is also a Toyota engine, and is very, very plentiful here in Australia (unlike all of the above). It is a 4 cylinder and the intercooler sits on top of the engine, so you can either put a small scoop on the bonnet or move the intercooler to the front of the radiator.

The disadvantage to this engine is that it is very modern, and therefore needs the computer, etc. in order to run (much like putting a new Vortec in a Cruiser). However, this is what makes it so powerful and so efficient.

I'm not sure which clutch we will use, but I hope to use the factory 2F clutch for ease of install/replacement in the US.

The cost if I get only one of these made is about au$3,500. However, the more I get made, the better the price will be. If I can get 10 made, the cost will be about au$1,000 - au$1,200 each. If I can get 12 - 15, then they should be less-than au$1,000 each.

Any thoughts/interest in this?

Cheers,

Josh

Any thoughts/interest in this?

My thoughts are that it would be AWESOME, that's what.

Seems to me that a D4D engine in a relatively lightweight 40 would be a pretty efficient setup. I really, really wish I could get into something like this right now....

Dan

Someone needs to buy up 1KZ-T engines and rebuild them into 1KD-FT engines.

that sounds cool for a 40 or a 70.
I would probably keep whatever 5-speed came with it for a pickup. Especially if we're talking W59/R150 in a pickup.

The D4D comes in the Prado and the 4 door 4 wheel drive Hilux, so it has plenty of grunt. I don't recall the figures right now, but the horsepower and torque are similar to the 12HT I believe, and significantly greater than the 13BT.

The reason I want to go to the H55 transmission is because I want to avoid having to swap axles. The diff in the front is on the wrong side, and the diff in the rear is centred. Thus both axles would need to be changed; thus a bell housing seemed like the better option.

Also, the transmission on the Hilux is pretty long (similar to the H105), so I am not convinced it would fit in a 40 series without reversing the rear springs to gain length. It would also require cutting new holes in the floor for the transfer case and gear shifter to enter the cab.

Josh

What is the standard transmission? if its a 1K family engine you should be be able to bolt a R151 and cruiser split case behind it no worries

I think the R151 and split case is too long for the SWB 40/42. It would fit your MWB 74 no worries. I only had a 9" rear shaft on my 40 before I moved the rear axle back 2".

What did it cost you to rebuild your 13bt in Vic?

Cheers,

Josh

horsepower and torque of the 3.0 D4D

According to Toyota engine site, the 3.0 litre D4D has 163 hp and 317 ft lbs of torque. Not too shabby.

The Hilux 4 door 4wd/5 speed is also rated at 28 - 31 MPG, so it would seem realistic to expect 24+mpg with one in a 40/5 speed. The best I ever got with my turbo-charged 2H/5 speed/3;70 gears was about 17.

Josh

I just hope you've factored in the wiring into your swap plans. Adapting it to the gearbox will probably be the cheapest part of the exercise.

I think a 13BT would surpass those power and torque numbers with no trouble at all while also giving comparable fuel economy to the 1KD. The earlier 1KD-FTV's I've driven would only do around 12 km/l (instantaneous fuel consumption readout from the computer) on a flat and smooth road. Overall average was significantly lower but this truck was auto.

I just hope you've factored in the wiring into your swap plans. Adapting it to the gearbox will probably be the cheapest part of the exercise.

I think a 13BT would surpass those power and torque numbers with no trouble at all while also giving comparable fuel economy to the 1KD. The earlier 1KD-FTV's I've driven would only do around 12 km/l (instantaneous fuel consumption readout from the computer) on a flat and smooth road. Overall average was significantly lower but this truck was auto.

I'm not overly concerned about the wiring. I've installed a 2000 Chevy Vortec and that is probably more complex due to the emissions controls. I'll get the computer, wiring harness, etc. and splice it into the factory LX harness.

As for the 13bt - I'd love to go that route. However, I have been looking for a 13bt for 5 years, and all that I come by either have 400,000 kms (and they still want $5,000 for them) or they want more for the engine alone than I could buy a BJ74 for. They are not as common here as they must be in Kiwiland.

Josh

simple questions like .. where to get tach signal come to my mind .. and the second it's reliability of that engine in a heavy Cruiser .. those engine rely in boost ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom