Current shop to replace/rebuild diffs in Bay Area. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Disclaimer: I called Valley Hybrids but they are very much about a month out to get some work performed.

With that in mind I need to purchase some parts. The rebuild kits will be Timken and Koyo but I want a ring and pinion that isn’t Chinese. I don’t mind some off-shore stuff but let me know what you guys recommend. I’ve settled on 4:88s.

Second, who do you guys recommend currently in the area besides George? I know I’ve seen a thread somewhere about local shops but I’m talking about todays current times that are open for business?

Here’s my list of Bay Area shops.

Tiger Motors in Santa Cruz is my go to shop for most everything Toyota. Good prices, straight forward honesty, easy to work with, and the owner is a master Toyota mechanic who pays attention to details. Garrett tells me when a project or repair are best handled elsewhere, such as diff or transfer cases gears.

Rearend Specialties is a good place for diff gear setup in the South Bay. They do axles, bearings, and biffs as well.

Arabia’s Overkill is top notch. Jeff is highly experienced and they have experience with Land Cruisers and they are hard to get into as a result.

Mudrak’s knows their way around Land Cruiser very well...doesn’t get better. Gary is highly experienced and drives an 80 on the Rubicon.

A+ Japanese Auto Repair is a good general shop, can easily handle your job, they get local awards for service, and get good reviews.

4x4 & More has changed hands a few times, but they get good reviews. I’ve found them a little over priced, but they will meet internet pricing on parts.

Ben Lifted is a small shop that I don’t have much experience with, outside of chatting with the owner. Nice guy.

Custom Cruisers is also a small shop. They ask to leave a message and they’ll get back, but they are in the shop all day, so response time is a day or so.

No experience with the Toy Shop.

Tiger Motors
2810 Soquel Avenue
Santa Cruz CA 95062
1 (831) 476-1329

Rearend Specialties
1040 Di Giulio Ave # 350
(408) 988-3619

Mudrak's Custom Cruisers  
Address: 22690 Broadway #2, Sonoma, CA 95475
Phone (707) 292-3509

4x4 & More
5040 Scotts Valley Dr. Ste A
Scotts Valley, CA 95066
(831)439-0902

A+ Japanese Auto Repair Inc.  
Address: 780 Industrial Rd, San Carlos, CA 94070
Phone (650) 595-2277

Arabia's Overkill Jeep Fabrication
1436 White Oaks Rd. #15
Campbell, CA95008

Shop Phone :1 (408) 626-8660
Shop Fax : 1 (408) 626-8661

BenLifted
34 Janis Way Suite B
Scotts Valley, CA95066

Phone. 831.440.9910
Fax. 831.440.9920

The Toy Shop
4818 Geary Boulevard
San Francisco CA 94118
1 (415) 386-0122

Custom Cruisers FJ40
25 Buena Vista Avenue, B
Gilroy CA 95062
1 (408) 842-3540

Last edited:
MS auto gears in Santa Clara. Cheap and do decent work. It's who Custom Cruisers uses.

Excellent! I’ll reach out to the shops in Santa Clara first. I’m currently activated to assist with the food banks and civil unrest in the region.

Excellent! I’ll reach out to the shops in Santa Clara first. I’m currently activated to assist with the food banks and civil unrest in the region.
Don't tread on me

MS auto gears in Santa Clara. Cheap and do decent work. It's who Custom Cruisers uses.
Thank you for the recommendation. I need a shop to install diff and transfer case gears. MS Auto will do both!! Rearend Specialties will only do diff gears.

Last edited:
Thank you for the recommendation. I need a shop to install diff and transfer case gear. MS Auto will do both!! Rearend Specialties will only do diff gears.

Can I ask what your rig's purpose is and set-up. I ask and wonder if I should consider doing the transfer case gearing as well.

I'm on 35s and do a bit of towing. The grapevine sucks in an 80 with out a power adder. There's a bit of a pass coming into Gilroy.

Thank you for the recommendation. I need a shop to install diff and transfer case gear. MS Auto will do both!! Rearend Specialties will only do diff gears.
You called them? Nice.

Can I ask what your rig's purpose is and set-up. I ask and wonder if I should consider doing the transfer case gearing as well.

I'm on 35s and do a bit of towing. The grapevine sucks in an 80 with out a power adder. There's a bit of a pass coming into Gilroy.
Word, but t case gearing won't help that unless you do underdrive gears whcih are the lose

I’m building my rig for crawling in the Sierra’s with Slinky stage 4, 37’s, 4.88’s, high range 10% underdrive, and low range 25% gear reduction. With that gearing I’ll be able to crawl over many obstacles that previously required plenty of skinny petal and potential to break things. This chart and thread show transfer case gear ratios with either or both transfer case gear sets.

09AA6788-8EE2-4F40-AD8F-F50317D913EC.jpeg

Wholly moley! Thanks for all the POCs and feed back. “That ‘ill do pig, that ‘ill do”. -Babe reference.
No problem. I have an app that stores all this stuff. It has unlimited pages to write notes.

What do you decide to do for gearing? The low range gears are the main reason I‘m regearing the transfer case. Since I’m in there, might as well do the underdrive too. Still considering the part-time kit. Not sure I want to open that can of worms right now.

@digitalmarker check out the list of Bay Area shops. Thanks @Road Apple I'll probably see you around. I'm live on Summit Rd and in Santa Cruz often...
When I get my truck back from suspension and armor upgrades, we’re going to have a Santa Cruz meet up. Will let you know.

When I get my truck back from suspension and armor upgrades, we’re going to have a Santa Cruz meet up. Will let you know.

I was thinking about hitting up Santa Cruz next week with the family. Went to Hollister Hills this weekend and had a blast.

I might pull the trigger on some ARB lockers as well. I thought about TJM but I don’t see many for sale...

Does anyone have experience with TJM lockers or vendors?

Does anyone have experience with TJM lockers or vendors?
Don’t have any experience with TJM lockers, but here is a thread discussing them.

I gave that thread a read but not a concise answer. Seems like it’s hit or miss with ARB, I am on that boat as well having needing to replace the seals on the rear unit for my 60. It was an older unit so I’m not sure how much the design has changed.

I’ll keep searching but I’m strongly considering going with TJM.

@dsmud4u - if you are re-gearing, it’s the best time to get lockers installed too.

check out Eaton e-lockers. Mine have been flawless for 3 years of use now. The e-lockers don't have compressed air seals to wear out & can use the stock selector switch on the dash.
x2 on eaton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom