Current opinions on Tacoma 3.4L (5vz-fe) swap? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just want to know how you are getting that kind of MPG in a Taco. When I had mine I needed to be going downhill with wind at my back to get 19, city was 13-14 mpg and that was with a 2in lift and 255's. You put the the 3.4 in the 40 that is what kind of milage you are going to get. Be done with it and put in a 13BT/H55F.
The best answer yet.:D

I am not all that familiar with the 3.4 other than riding in friends trucks with them.

I personally have a FJ-40 with 3RZ in it and it does fine. I kind of went a little different on the rest of the drivetrain though I am running a SM420 and dual mini cases. I also put in a 85 front and 89 rear mini truck axle. I am running 5.29's and 38in swampers to wheel and 37in BFG KO's on the road. I have put about 7-8K mileson the set up I get better mileage on secondary roads/city than highway but I average 20-22mpg. I am also running an aluminum cowl and tub so I am fairly light.

Just fyi

I am not all that familiar with the 3.4 other than riding in friends trucks with them.

I personally have a FJ-40 with 3RZ in it and it does fine. I kind of went a little different on the rest of the drivetrain though I am running a SM420 and dual mini cases. I also put in a 85 front and 89 rear mini truck axle. I am running 5.29's and 38in swampers to wheel and 37in BFG KO's on the road. I have put about 7-8K mileson the set up I get better mileage on secondary roads/city than highway but I average 20-22mpg. I am also running an aluminum cowl and tub so I am fairly light.

Just fyi
A40 with 3rz, that cool,you have to show us some pics.

I will put some up when I get home I am currently deployed I should be back stateside the middle of May or so.

I originally wanted a 3RZ in my 84 mini but my 383 sent a rod thru the side of the block and I had just purchased the 3RZ. I went with OTT industries bell housing adapter and used there zero tranfer case adapter. It turned out pretty well. I have zero complaints for wheeling it around PNW. I am headed to California to wheel for a few weeks in late August. We will see how it does then. I considered four linking it at the same time but $$$$ flow limited it to the engine and PRICEY adapters. So I am still SOA/SR.

I will get the Pictures up when I get back sorry for the wait

Thnaks for the reply, I will be waiting to see the pics and any more info.
I had a Tacoma with the 3rz , by far was the best of all the Toy trucks I had.
I think it is a good swap for the 40 , aside from the 13bt.
Sorry for the highjack.

I just want to know how you are getting that kind of MPG in a Taco. When I had mine I needed to be going downhill with wind at my back to get 19, city was 13-14 mpg and that was with a 2in lift and 255's. You put the the 3.4 in the 40 that is what kind of milage you are going to get. Be done with it and put in a 13BT/H55F.

Low 20's from the 3.4 is not uncommon.

I doubt it has anything to do with my setup, but more about how I drive. I accelerate slowly, dont drive much over 60 and use cruise control often. Going down the highway the engine is only at 2100 +/- RPM, hardly even sweating and I shift at about 2800 RPM. The motor rarely sees 3000 RPM.

The only time I get less 19/20 mpg on the highway is going over the passes in 4wd at 35 mph for 50 miles. My lowest tank I have checked was 17.5 mpg which was lots of city and a mix of snow/mountain passes.

Did you adjust your MPG for tire size? That will throw you off a few %.

Just fyi

Nice setup, where you at in WA?

We definately need some pics...

The 3vz and 5vz usually end up getting pretty similiar mileage in Tacos, which would make sense if you are getting low 20's in the cruiser.

You guys think the stock cruiser t-case is weaker than the stock chain driven taco t-case? I never would have guessed that and dont know if I believe it unless somebody has some info that I dont know about.

I am not interested in swapping axles to a weaker design (taco). Worst case scenario I can swap in a split-case.

You guys think the stock cruiser t-case is weaker than the stock chain driven taco t-case? I never would have guessed that and dont know if I believe it unless somebody has some info that I dont know about.

I am not interested in swapping axles to a weaker design (taco). Worst case scenario I can swap in a split-case.
RF1A T-cases
79-91 top shifter with 7 bolt rear cover &
RF1A
80-95 with forward shifter with 7 bolt rear cover
are all gear driven
Axles are a different story.

I am outside Spokane about 30 minutes.

I will get the pics up I have the whole build up on disc just need to load up all the pics.

I am happy with the 3RZ it pulls the cruiser around just fine though the R's get pretty high going down the interstate since I do not have overdrive in the SM420. That is the reason I get better mileage on secondary roads 55-60 than I do on I-90. I sold my other 40 with a 383 and SM465 after I got this one built, I get atleast twice the fuel mileage out of the 3RZ.

This cruiser is by no means a serious rock hound or nothing I sold (or I should say my wife) my 84 mini after I got here so the cruiser will be the main hunting rig this fall. I kind of built it for all around use but I do not think it would like pulling the boat out of Lake Rosevelt so I haven't towed anything beside a 2 place quad trailer since I built it beside the Cummins dosen't care what I put behind it.

I will get the pic's up when I get home

Interesting thread. I routinely get over 20mpg in my stocker 96 4runner with 160k on it. 4.30 gears, automatic 4x4. It's a limited so it's probably as heavy as they come and I've got FJ cruiser alumium wheels and 265/70/17's on it now. I also have the stock wheels with 265/75/16's which are a little shorter. Either way I usually get 21-22mpg on the highway and my mixed commute of about 18mi freeway and 4 miles city I get around 18-20. Not sure what has been done, but I'm pretty sure it's all stock.

I'd love to have that engine in my 40. I think it's considerably more reliable than my 2f. I've yet to have any issue with it.

So, the auto is the same one as the later 80 series right? Is the output shaft the same? if so you could just go 3.4 to auto to 80 series transfer case and have a nice set up. I like the idea of a doubler though, but I could go either way on the tranny.

Keep us up to date on what you decide. I'll be doing some type of swap in the next year or two and I was thinking about going this route.

Tranny

I think you have it right, I am pretty sure the trannies are the same A340.

I really wanted to stay manual, but I think the auto with the 80 t-case would be a good combo. Throw on the 80 axles for good measure and you are set.

Didn't Toyota put the A340 F in the truck and the A343 F in the land cruisers starting 95 ??
And before (85-94) , it was the A340 H which has integrated transfer case that is hydrolicly shifted??
Isn't the A340 also found in most of most 4x4 JEEPS and other Japaneese 4x4 trucks of the same era ,but with manually shifted transfer and under adifferent names??

On second thought, I'd rather not have full time 4wd in the 40. Especially if mileage is a concern. I don't think the 80 t-case would be the best choice. I know you can do a conversion, but that's more work than it's worth IMO, expecially when you could probably do a toybox and split case for less. Plus, with the auto you could push the engine right up to the radiator without concern for the shifter and make room for the extra gear box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom