Current draw

I was cleaning the terminals on my diesel yesterday and when i went to reinstall the cables, i heard a small little sparking sound. Sure enough, when i touched the heavy black wire(10 awg maybe) back to the positive terminal of the battery i got a pretty good little spark. The keys were out of the ignition and everything was off but i still am getting some sort of current draw. The first thing i checked was the wire going to the glow plug buss bar. I unhooked it from the bar, and touched the black wire back to the positive terminal and no more spark. So now i figure i'm getting 12vdc all the time to the glow plugs.
I grab my meter and do some checking...

Here i hooked the + meter lead to the glow plug wire..

And here is the - meter lead to the - battery terminal...

Here are the keys in the seat with nothing turned on...

But yet i'm still getting 12vdc...

Do i have a stuck relay? I have a relay mounted on the floor board of the passanger side... is this where i need to start?

Thanks
Cody

MrMoMo

That's not rust, it's Canadian patina...

Can that fluke measure how many amps you are drawing? I would guess that it is more likely a radio memory that is causing the small spark. (not sure how it is backfeeding the glow bar though)

It's a trick... the keys are in the ign. and turned on when you get the reading... that's an old one..... :hillbilly::hillbilly: Don't you think anyone will believe you unless you have a foto...... heh heh

It's a trick... the keys are in the ign. and turned on when you get the reading... that's an old one..... :hillbilly::hillbilly: Don't you think anyone will believe you unless you have a foto...... heh heh
I wish ! Turns out that one of these relays (not sure why there are two of them) was stuck in the closed position.

It ended up being the bottom relay, so i slid a knife blade in between the points to free it up. I will pull it off tonight and clean both set up properly.

Here is the cover for the relays i found in the glovebox.

Thanks for the help :cheers:

One relay gives you glow when the glow switch is on, the other one gives you glow when the key is on start.

I cleaned mine up with a fine diamond coated nail file then polished them with crocus cloth, that was a few years ago and they have been fine ever since.

Top Bottom