curious about jack stands... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
saw something odd yesterday at Harbor Freight.
Was looking at buying some bigger jack stands. Saw a bunch rated at "6 tons" and stamped as such.
But then a close inspection of the box revealed that it said something like "rated at 6 tons *per pair*" (emphasis mine). So, I'm starting to wonder if when a stand is rated "X tons" that does not mean that a pair of them (2) can support X tons, since they are also always supposed to be "used in pairs".
That would explain why I always thought these things look rather flimsy.

Sooo, if I have a stand that says "3 tons" will it actually support 3 tons safely by itself or not?

anybody knows?

E (who always puts something under the wheels or frame in addition to using jacks)

Bumper jack baby :eek:
its all I use unless I fixed the tire on the double wide then i toss a cinder block under there :D

I got the widest based jack stands that i could find as most of the stuff I work it tall and heavy so stable is what i want when im working under anything

:cheers:

e - I BELIEVE (and could be wrong) that they are always rated in pairs. Then again, think about it. One jack stand would only lift 1/4 of the truck, and if that's all you were using, the rest would be supported by the rest of teh tires on the ground.

That said, this is one place that no one should ever try to save money. jack stands can kill you. Get the best darn ones you can afford. Wide base, best teeth, and look at the top, whether it's beveled or flat etc.

DO NOT SAVE MONEY ON THIS ITEM. Delay the sliders, second batt or anything else, but don't go cheap on this. We like our forum members to be around so we can abuse them a little longer. :D

Junk...could you suggest types of jack stands that would be acceptable. I am looking into getting a set and would like to hear any advice on the best/safest ones out there.

I prefer the square based ones that are welded up with a ratchet mechanism. As Junk stated, having a lip on the shoe is nice in that it can craddle the frame which will help hold it in place. Go to Sears and get a good set there.

Look for the ones that are welded all or most of the length of the bent metal structures that make them up. Some are just tack welded here and there, and the worst are bolted or not connected. Junk's on with this one - if something slips and puts lateral force on the jackstands you'll be glad you got the best.

Doug

well, I'm tellin' you, if a device that has "3 tons" stamped on it is only designed to support 1.5 ton (plus the safety margin, if any), because it's supposed to be used with another, that would pretty darn bad. And also likely to generate some substantial lawsuits sooner or later too...
sheesh...
E

I have the 6-ton HF jack stands and they're not bad at all. The base is made up of two sections which are welded up along the entire length of the seams. The top is not flat--it's cup shaped with teeth to grab on to whatever you plan on putting in there (including your fingers if you're a klutz). They also have the ratcheting mechanism. The second reason for getting the 6-ton stands is the height: with the 3-ton stands, you're going to be at the max height with the cruiser. You don't want that for stability reasons.

I always use them in pairs regardless of what I'm doing. It's easy if you use a floor jack under the axle (you want one with about a 20" lift)--you can lift the entire front/rear of the truck and place both jacks at one time, then lower the truck onto the stands. For extra insurance (if you don't need to be working where you jacked the truck), just leave the jack in place after lowering the axle onto the stands. Takes all of about two minutes to put it all in place.

Tom

I'm with Scamper........

Wayne S :cheers:

I'm with Scamper as well. In addition to my Sears quick lift 20" jack I bought an additional pair of 12 ton Jack stands. They are great as they lift really high and are really strong. They weren't from Sears but a tool store (made in China). They cost me like $100 CND (or $75 US).

I'd sleep under these babies if I had to.

Along the jack idea...... Harbor Freight has a 2.5 ton long frame jack that has a 30" lift, for around $140 on sale. Had to return the first one....... damage in shipment...... they promptly sent me another one :D.

Wayne S :cheers:

Moved, since this topic is likely of interest to many....

I've got two GOOD ones, need two more, and 4 lighter ones for whem I'm working on an axle housing off the rig....

I have had all 6 in use already....my next pair will likely be custom ones with more height, since there are times when I need it...

If you are a member of Sears free Craftsman club, then you could run out and buy their package for the quicklift 3-1/2 ton jack and jack stands. Get the best you can afford, then when you can afford more, get them :D

I've got a set of good jack stands for quick jobs, but for the jobs when the truck is up for a half day, or I really need stability, nothing beats 1' sections of 6x6.
Go to home depot, buy a 10' 6x6, and have them cut it into 1 foot sections. Nothing is more stable, and helps to prevent having to fully extend jack stands.

I'm using railroad ties, 3' long under the wheels as backup.

Anyway, I'm fed up with my 3 tons stands. They look way too flimsy under the Cruiser.
First chance I get, I'm buying 12 tons, price be damned. It's just not worth scrimping when you spend a lot of time under the dang thing! This is definitely not a tool that you want to take a chance on! On aftersight, this is the one thing that should come first, before all the other toys!

Watch out, out there folks!

Eric

just got the 12 tons jacks ($75 at HF)

Best money I've spent in a long time. Now it really feels secure to work under there.

The 3 ton jacks were a (bad) joke

E

Advanced Auto has 6 ton jack stands for about 30 dollars a pair. bought 2 sets of them. They are holding up the cruiser as we speak... They are good size, have the stepped land pad to cradle the frame, good ratch, and have a good size square base. Now if the dam floor wasn't cracked and shifting i would be all set.

Stew

HF had a sale on 6 ton jacks a few days ago for less than $20 IIRC
but I'd say go with 12 tons anyway, worth the difference in cost
E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom