Cummins swap ideas........ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so to answer my own question, I think the Atlas is only passenger side drop for the front, whereas for the 80, we also need the rear output to be passenger side drop....there goes that idea.

so to answer my own question, I think the Atlas is only passenger side drop for the front, whereas for the 80, we also need the rear output to be passenger side drop....there goes that idea.
That's why I was saying AA needs to make an offset case. It would save us spending $$ on adapters

I dont think the orion would work for me since I am using an NV4500.

Creating a custom fuel tank or finding another that would fit with a centered driveshaft would work..but adds to the overall project and I wasn't really looking to swap out axles..so original plan of adapting HF2A to NV4500 is still the plan.

Just got a shipping confirmation on another piece to the puzzle. Got a great deal for a Split to NV4500 adapter. Mr Cimarron I am excited to hear your results on the TC gears.

Just got a shipping confirmation on another piece to the puzzle. Got a great deal for a Split to NV4500 adapter. Mr Cimarron I am excited to hear your results on the TC gears.
Is this piece coming from Dustin? If it is, watch to see if anything actually gets picked up. My 55lb shipping label was created 6 days ago and nothing has been picked up yet.

upload_2015-4-1_16-13-50.png

Nope Urban Cruisers had one they needed to get rid of. Got it for about half price. Its on a truck already. Sorry about the BS you are dealing with.

Waiting on shims for proper bearing preload at the moment. Hopefully next week I can put oil in it and go for a test drive.

I have been running a 4bt,NV4500,Orion for many year in my 80. It works and AA has an adapter....
image.jpg
image.jpg

If you are gonna go this far why mess with 203/205 doubler that weighs nearly 300 pounds and makes your rear DS that much shorter? Go Atlas and never look back. I put a four speed version in a dedicated crawler and I can't say enough good things about that decision.

I am going with the split case as of now. Adapter is in the mail. I think I have come to the conclusion this will not be my crawler primary wheeler. So low range gears are not going to be such a priority. If I move that way on the future either atlas or t case gears.

Any update on this thread? Im doing my digging to see who is or has run the 6bt/nv4500/np205. I have my 6bt and nv4500 trying to find the best tranfercase option. 205s are pretty easy to come by and drive lines are easily made. Any update?

Just do what the majority if us have already done and adapt the NV4500 to the HF2AV.
@NLXTACY is about to release the adapter and modified mainshaft

Wits end guy? Is there a thread you can tag me on to fallow this? Been hesitant to do this option due to the lack of production. As what I know now it’s deal with Dustin or find plans and find a machine shop on my own. But if a wits end guy is going to have these parts in stock I may consider that again.

Problem you’ll run into with a 205 is finding a 29 spline 205. Theyre very much not common. NWF makes a female 29 spline 205 replacement for any big bearing 205 but its like 400$ and you still need a big bearing 205. On the plus side you get rid of the stupid coupler.

And then... you have a centered output which may or may not work because gas tank...

205s are absurdly beefy but 1.96:1 low range is lame.

I do run that exact combo though, 6bt, nv4500, 205 but then I have a 14 bolt which is only slightly offset diff and a non stock fuel tank behind the axle. Not certain that the stock tank wouldn’t have cleared but from all my research into this, I feel pretty sure it would not have cleared.

Final thought, though expensive if you wanted a “crawl box” you can add a ORD magnum box in front of a 205 for some crazy gearing options and because of the adapter housing used between the 205 and nv4500 you only add about 3” when that housing gets removed for said magnum box.

Now with that all said, if you dont intend to wheel hard, the hf2av is probably the better easier route.

Last edited:
Wits’ End “guy”? 🤔

It’ll look something like this. I’m not putting up a link or price until I have everything in hand and ready to go. I don’t want to enter this diesel stuff until I have my ducks in a row.

View attachment 1935174

Do you have a rough time table when that will be and/or price? I am debating on talking my brother-in-law into trying to make time with his busy schedule to machine them up for me if it isn't going to be available until next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom