Cummins swap ideas........ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422318800.970233.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422318833.577267.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422318845.810077.jpg

Nothing like some pics to get a thread back on topic. What do you guys think?

93 but it has the nv4500 so either late 93 or someone did the tranny conversion.

I'm really loving this thread, I'm on the fence about a cummins swap so all this info is gold. I really want to thank all that have done this swap and are currently doing it. Definitely motivates me to do my own.

Now for everyone's favorite question, what kind of mpg are you guys getting? I ask this not in hopes of savings, but rather seeing what kind of range to expect.

Realistic average MPG is probably somewhere around 18-19. Worst I've gotten was 16 with 9 hours of off-roading during that tank. I've gotten several 20+ with tailwind all highway tanks but usually get 18-19. My usual average before conversion was 12. So same vehicle doing same driving now gets me 18 so that's a 50% increase in mileage.

Nice pics.

If you don't want to go with the split case behind the NV4500, and instead want to use the HF2AV case, we have another option.

I have been talking with Dustin and he is willing to make an adapter that will mate the Dodge NV4500 to the factory HF2AV case. he would buy a new 2wd NV4500 mainshaft, which is about 6 inches longer than the 4wd version. He will then cut and respline the output end of the mainshaft to fit the Toyota xfer case. You would then rebuild your 4wd NV4500 using the respIined 2wd shaft. Cost would be somewhere between 700 and 1000.

What do you guys think? Sounds appealing to me.

Realistic average MPG is probably somewhere around 18-19. Worst I've gotten was 16 with 9 hours of off-roading during that tank. I've gotten several 20+ with tailwind all highway tanks but usually get 18-19. My usual average before conversion was 12. So same vehicle doing same driving now gets me 18 so that's a 50% increase in mileage.

That is exactly my experience. Right on 19 most of the time.

Nice pics.

If you don't want to go with the split case behind the NV4500, and instead want to use the HF2AV case, we have another option.

I have been talking with Dustin and he is willing to make an adapter that will mate the Dodge NV4500 to the factory HF2AV case. he would buy a new 2wd NV4500 mainshaft, which is about 6 inches longer than the 4wd version. He will then cut and respline the output end of the mainshaft to fit the Toyota xfer case. You would then rebuild your 4wd NV4500 using the respIined 2wd shaft. Cost would be somewhere between 700 and 1000.

What do you guys think? Sounds appealing to me.

That sounds pretty cool to me. I actually would have kept my AWD if that was an option.

I think I would still have swapped but I think it's a good option. Real good option if the driveshadts stayed the same length. It would save an easy grand just on driveshafts and split case.

We are going to attempt to keep the xfer case in the same position as tha t would certainly simplify the install and lower swap costs.

I need to get the length of the NV4500 (including belhousing) to compare to the length of the A343 + cummins belhousing.

If they are within a few inches, we maybe able keep the xfer case in the stock location.

I can get some measurements. The stock transfer case that is behind this nv4500 has a right side drop. I may look into rebuilding it. It would probably be cheaper then a adapter and rebuilder for a split. Need to identify exactly what t case it is take measurements and look into lower range options.

Look above I posted pics. Is there gear options for a 205? Have not had a chance to research.

I can only see a corner of it in the above pics but its a 205. Square saginaw CV flange in the front and a 1410 yoke in the rear. They're a 29 spline input with 32 spline outputs front and rear. 3:1 is the lowest gear set you can buy for them AFAIK but I don't think they fit the dodge 205 so you'd have to check into that. Magnum box is a better option IMO. 203/205 isn't a bad choice either. The cool thing is that 205s are near indestructible.

If you end up getting rid of that flange I'd take it off your hands for the price of postage! :D I could always use a spare.

Last edited:
I wish AA or anyone would make an offset case for the 80's... This would really save room and time trying to upgrade the drivetrain in these cruisers..

AA makes the Atlas that,bolts right up to the back of an NV4500 and you can specify passenger side front drop. Is there any reason why this would not work in an 80.

Cummins + NV4500 + AA Atlas 2/4 sounds like a stout drivetrain to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom