cummins repower 2.8 crate engines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I remember reading about the high torque number at idle being around 80% on the gasser.

80series_zps93924323.png

Again, what transmission would people use?

The A442F and A343F are geared for gas engines.. turning nearly 3k on the freeway at 70 with stock gears and tires. While that is technically within the RPM range of these repower diesels it is FAR outside the most efficient range, and won't be enjoyable to drive for tens of thousands of miles with the thing screaming away. And that's assuming someone would make a bellhousing adapter.

You could always throw some much larger tires on to help... but then the lack of horsepower/torque will be even more evident.

The A442F and A343F are geared for gas engines.. turning nearly 3k on the freeway at 70 with stock gears and tires. While that is technically within the RPM range of these repower diesels it is FAR outside the most efficient range, and won't be enjoyable to drive for tens of thousands of miles with the thing screaming away. And that's assuming someone would make a bellhousing adapter.

You could always throw some much larger tires on to help... but then the lack of horsepower/torque will be even more evident.

Exactly.
Check this out

If you love the way the UPS trucks sound, go for it.
These are not suitable for car application. They are loud and vibrate more then a California earthquake. In other words a phenomenal and overpriced POS.

Check out the other diesel threads for more refined and passenger car designed diesel engines.

There are a few good options when it comes to diesels. Mercedes would be a very good start. I6 and V6 flavor. Grand Cherokee had a Mercedes diesel a decade ago, now they use VM Motori (not my first choice due to the after-treatment they have, which requires ECU tuning knowledge to turn off those features).

I will have to ask the same question here, as I did in the original thread about this R2.8

What do you do about the OEM transmission which is not geared properly? Still going to use the 4-spd Land Cruisers came with? Not a good idea.
Less torque, less HP, same bad gearing, same weight>>>> poor performance>>>not worth it.

- Get a 5 speed transmission behind the 1FZ-FE and it will be a wonderful setup. (not easy at all, members here have dissected this very issue for a few years)

- Get a german diesel with it's own (5/6/7-speed transmission) and it will will be a dream to drive. Lightweight, powerful, smooth, efficient.

It just dawned on me.. I don't know why I keep trying to dissuade people from getting excited about these engines. They are expensive enough that VERY few people will end up actually swapping, and those that do will most likely be disappointed in how it worked out, especially for the money. They will quickly be exposed as not worth the cost/time/work. I'm reminded of the 4BT swaps.

Unlike most of those putting in vortecs or 6BTs.

There is more than one version of those transmissions (both were available in diesel-powered vehicles). My factory turbo diesel truck has an A442F. IIRC the gearing is the same as the gasoline version although it is not the same transmission and you could consider the 1HD-T to be relatively high-revving diesel.

It just dawned on me.. I don't know why I keep trying to dissuade people from getting excited about these engines. They are expensive enough that VERY few people will end up actually swapping, and those that do will most likely be disappointed in how it worked out, especially for the money. They will quickly be exposed as not worth the cost/time/work. I'm reminded of the 4BT swaps.

Unlike most of those putting in vortecs or 6BTs.
Who cares? Every single person who "wastes their money" buying an R2.8 funds development of an engine that might be a better fit. It is in all of our interests for this new diesel-crate-motor trend to gain some traction. Maybe Mercedes will release an OM642 crate motor if Cummins is highly successful?

There is more than one version of those transmissions (both were available in diesel-powered vehicles). My factory turbo diesel truck has an A442F. IIRC the gearing is the same as the gasoline version although it is not the same transmission and you could consider the 1HD-T to be relatively high-revving diesel.

What is the axle gear ratio on the 1HD-T truck?

It does no good to mention that the 2.8 has great torque at 1800rpm if you're going to retain the trans. THere's nothing for replacement TCs with stronger lock-up or appropriately low stalls.

Speaking from 1st hand experience here, you need a diesel that will make some power all the way to 3,000 RPM or you will just be spinning the TC and never really go anywhere. The 6BT makes great power at 2000, but since there's power to spare, it will still pull well to 3500. You NEED that power range or you will NOT get the mileage you're hoping for as all the power will be lost in the high stall of the stock converter. You cannot just force a lockup and torque your way through it because the lock-up clutch isn't *that* strong. You'll just destroy the thing try to lock it 1800RPM and using it to accelerate the vehicle.

If the plan is to swap the motor and trans and and and.... maybe just get a rubicon and call it a day.lol

You need a bigger diesel that makes pulling power at 3000RPM (the 6BT will do this as will other larger diesels).... or just drop in a LS...

-Phil

Might also add that we swapped in 3.54 gears everything I just said about the power range applies with that in mind... if you're running the 4.10s, then just forget about it times 2....

Maybe Mercedes will release an OM642 crate motor if Cummins is highly successful?

Anyone want to take guesses as to what that would cost?

I'll let the board be the long term judge of how successful this cummins program is for cruisers. My guess is not very. Especially as more people install 6-spd auto 5.3s and document how easy/cheap/efficient it ends up being.

People in the US are just too sensitive about diesel engine noise. Its not that bad, I am in Nicaragua right now, driving a LC Prado all over the place, 3.0 non turbo GX version with 5 spd manual, slow and loud, but it gets the job done comfortably. If this were the plush version with the added turbo motor it would be sweet! But this one gets up to 120 kph to cruise, no problem.

I too would much rather like a 5 speed swap for the current gasser motor though in the 80 I have in California.

IMG_20170523_094742048_HDR.jpg

Banks is asking $29K for those 3.0 V6 VM Motori diesel engines, plus tranny and t-case.
MB would have to be slightly higher in price.

It would be far better to buy a diesel MB (used) keep the powertrain and sell the body.
Or a Jeep Grand Cherokee, as they use the MB diesels engines, or the new ones with VM Motori (read Banks).

People in the US are just too sensitive about diesel engine noise. Its not that bad, I am in Nicaragua right now, driving a LC Prado all over the place, 3.0 non turbo GX version with 5 spd manual, slow and loud, but it gets the job done comfortably. If this were the plush version with the added turbo motor it would be sweet! But this one gets up to 120 kph to cruise, no problem.

I too would much rather like a 5 speed swap for the current gasser motor though in the 80 I have in California.

View attachment 1469588

Not true.

The farm tractor variety Cummins is selling are a horrible car application engines. They are very noisy and vibrate a lot.
If you drive a Japanese designed diesel car, you are talking about two different things. Not even close to Cummins.

I DD a diesel since 2012. Love it. But it comes from Bavaria. No noise, no vibration. Pure enjoyment.

I would love to swap that engine in my 80. With it's own transmission. The Transmission is closely related to the GM 6L80/6L90 version Banks uses so it may be easier to use their own transfer case.

All I need now is a lot of money, a good diesel swap mechanic, and a divorce.

Oh, and what do I do with my Robbie rebuilt 4.6 1FZ-FE engine?

I would rip the 6BT out of my Ram and put it in my 80 in a heartbeat.....if it didn't weigh over 1000 lbs. I just couldn't bring myself to basically add the weight of another 1FZ-FE to the front end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom