Cummins R2.8 Engine Sawp on a LC 1985 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello
Has anyone done a engine swap with a Cummins R2.8 on a LC 60.
Any comments or knowledge?
Thank you

Did you ever go through with the R2.8 Conversion? If so, any feedback? I spoke to a restoration shop in KS, and they have done 4 of them and tell me they won't do anymore on a FJ60. Their feedback was the engine always had Turbo engaged to keep it at highway speeds, etc. I am thinking they had a gearing or tuning issue, but was looking for any feedback.

I like a good sawp thread

Did you ever go through with the R2.8 Conversion? If so, any feedback? I spoke to a restoration shop in KS, and they have done 4 of them and tell me they won't do anymore on a FJ60. Their feedback was the engine always had Turbo engaged to keep it at highway speeds, etc. I am thinking they had a gearing or tuning issue, but was looking for any feedback.

I'd wager that the turbo on my 2.7L inline 5 Mercedes sprinter is always engaged. Its a tiny little turbo and there is no noticeable lag in that engine. If thats how the engine is designed its shouldn't be a problem...unless of course it means the engine burns through turbos for some reason

There is a RPM calculator on the R2.8 website. Scroll to the bottom of this page:

I input all the data for a 6L80E and I should be in the top of the "efficiency" range. Now I assume that "engaged" turbocharger means producing significant boost. That would suggest a fair bit of load and throttle. Maybe with the H55 manual a truck would be at a high enough RPM to be annoying but I doubt it. My truck isn't close to done so I can't comment on driving dynamics yet.

Turbo diesels are supposed to be on boost. A 12ht is making boost at almost all times except idle even coasting down hill in gear
The 2.8 doesn't have a lot down low but is happy up around 3k rpm starts running out of puff not long after
h55f should be fine just that 3rd to 4th gap will catch you out in the hills.

Imo more omf than a stock 12ht but not a huge jump.
Note the one I've been driving is euro5 spec and seems a slightly lower output than the crate engine 110kw 360mn vs 120 and 400 which would be a nice jump

Last edited:
Turbo diesels are supposed to be on boost. A 12ht is making boost at almost all times except idle even coasting down hill in gear
The 2.8 doesn't have a lot down low but is happy up around 3k rpm starts running out of puff not long after
h55f should be fine just that 3rd to 4th gap will catch you out in the hills.

Imo more omf than a stock 12ht but not a huge jump.
Note the one I've been driving is euro5 spec and seems a slightly lower output than the crate engine 110kw 360mn vs 120 and 400 which would be a nice jump
EXACTLY how I describe my Cummins 3.3. Always under boost (fine by me) but 3 and 4 gap in the hills is spot on, definitely catches you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom