Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mr Cimarron

DRIVE, BREAK, FIX, REPEAT
SILVER Star
Threads
I figured it was time to start a build thread. I bought the 97 LC with factory lockers back in November 2011 from your typical soccer mom who never used it for off road purposes. It was purchased knowing I wanted to put a diesel in it. After debating on a Toyota or Cummins diesel I finally decided I was going with the Cummins 6bt. Parts was a big factor and knowing that there are plenty local mechanics that can work on them.
I will be starting my long drive to Jonesy's Offroad in Portland to have the conversion done. Along with the 6bt I am putting in a manual NV4500 trans along with a 60 series split case. I already installed 80 series Aisin hubs for the part time conversion.
I've never been to the Pacific Northwest so I am looking forward to the drive. I will update the build once it starts which hopefully begin in a month or two.
Here are some pics of what I have done so far since purchase.
This is the day I drove it home.
IMG_0297.jpg
Couple months later visiting Big Bend N.P.
IMG_0563.jpg
Current as of today. Just recently sprayed it with U-Pol Raptor liner. Still need to do some touch ups but it will have to wait.
IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

Mr Cimarron, I am excited to see how it comes out. Will you need to get new front springs?

Mr Cimarron, I am excited to see how it comes out. Will you need to get new front springs?
I don't think so but I have thought about it. I'll wait to see how it sits and handles first.

What would a ballpark cost for this conversion be? Motor included?

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

What would a ballpark cost for this conversion be? Motor included?

I won't speak for any shop costs but it all depends on where you source your parts whether you find a donor vehicle or buy individual. I tried finding a good parts truck with no luck. I'm guessing I'm in for around 8-10K in parts right now of what I have sourced myself. That included new and used parts.

Thanks!

That was about what I was thinking.

So you are doing 6BT OBDII conversion?
The 12v 6bt is mechanical unlike the 24v. In Texas diesels are safety only for inspections. Would I like to be OBDII compliant for ease of finding out what may wrong with things, yes but I like the simplicity of less electronics as well.

Are you guys going to start a "build thread" for this build? Would love to watch the build.

Are you guys going to start a "build thread" for this build? Would love to watch the build.

I plan on posting all the info I can once the build starts. There are some who have already done the same combo swap before. They have build threads on here.

I have my most of my parts right here. 215hp 6bt, nv4500 with input shaft upgrade and double disk clutch. I have the whole truck, don't know what else I'd need.

I'll be watching this like a hawk!

Just finished the long drive to drop cruiser off at Jonesy's. Joel gave me a tour of the shop and some of the custom stuff they do. All looked like top notch work.
I did get to spend an afternoon in Moab earlier this week and an evening beach drive along the NW Oregon coast. It was Easter Jeep Safari week so lots of cool rides to see.
The new 315/75 Duratracs did great. Complete range of terrain from street, slickrock, sand, washboard, and beach.
Here's a photo of the motor along with some poser shots from the trip. Did the trip solo so no action shots.
C9C87644-B988-4526-BC95-65656B64A873-3666-000001FDBF5186ED.jpg

3F1DC19B-388D-4A0E-8363-ED49676DF9FE-3666-00000200C926D8C8.jpg

A9E9D4D8-66C4-4229-879C-A207DB7A084F-3666-00000200AB5B1D78.jpg

Will update when stuff starts happening. Until then I am cruiserless.

What was the labor cost to do the conversion? You mentioned the parts were around $8K...

What was the labor cost to do the conversion? You mentioned the parts were around $8K...

I won't know labor costs until the conversion gets going and I start recieveing weekly updates. No flat rate for this type of conversion. To respect Jonesy's shop or any other shop I don't feel comfortable talking labor costs.

That's cool, guess I'll have to give Jonesy's a call myself seeing as how I apparently don't know the secret handshake when it comes to talking estimated shop hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom