Cummins 12 valve swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello folks I really like the idea of installing a 12 valve Cummins in my Rig, After researching the information and what it takes to do it here on the forums I decided to move forward and do it.
However I’m missing a few parts that I can’t find because I don’t have the information such:
Torque converter -transmission bell housing - and engine/transmission adapter ring or spacer.
I don’t know where to find those parts or the part number .
If you guys can give me some input on this matter please.
My Rig is an 1993 80 series Automatic front and rear lockers.
Thanks.

Ya so basically your starting at ground zero. What year Cummins are you wanting to use? auto or manual? Do you have welding/fab experience?

Those questions will push you down one of many expensive time consuming paths.

Is it a diesel or fuel ? You gonna keep the same transmission? And what about the fuel/diesel consumption

I do have welding/fab skills as well as mechanical too.
The 12 valve Cummins was in production from 1989-1998
I don’t think it matter if the engine was mounted on Auto or manual transmission.
And Fuel efficiency don’t bother me at all.

I don’t think anyone is still making the auto adapters. But there’s an NV4500-hf2av adapter out there that wits end and/or lostih have. So you’d be best off getting that setup. The 6bt is right on the edge of being overkill, so I wouldn’t go nuts trying to find the last couple years, most powerful P pump. The VE would be plenty and get better mileage. However, the VE pumped units had a Getrag. Just some stuff to consider.

I do have welding/fab skills as well as mechanical too.
The 12 valve Cummins was in production from 1989-1998
I don’t think it matter if the engine was mounted on Auto or manual transmission.
And Fuel efficiency don’t bother me at all.

What are you hoping to gain? It has to weight 3 times what the stock engine weighs. If fuel efficiency does not matter why not swap in an LS and not carry the weight penalty?

There is a Proffitts converted 4bt 80 series currently for sale for 15k. You could skip the build and parts search.

If you use the "search" you will find a few good threads on installing 12V. If my memory is correct I think you'll have better luck installing 5spd than trying to find adapter to A442. I drive a 24V (in a p/u) every day and they are a great engines. I'm not sure I would want to listen to one in my cruiser thou. Good luck

If you aren't dead set on an automatic and have fab skills a 12v,getrag& np205 swap is possible without any adapters.Just have to replace and relocate the fuel tank.

It’s not much more than stock. Maybe 2-300 more I believe.

A stripped 6bt Cummins is about 1100 pounds. My big block Ford weighs in at 636 pounds. A quick google says your stock engine is 584 pounds. That is without the heavier accessories and 2 batteries that come with the 6bt. You are talking double the engine weight. A Big block ford looks like a viable swap at this point.

There are a lot of 12 valve swaps at this point, its a proven setup, not sure why people get so wrapped up in the weight. I mean sure a ls variant is cool too but doesn’t do much to scratch the diesel itch. Either you get it or you don’t...

The 1st gen drivetrain setup is cool but If you go down that road just do yourself a favor and find an nv4500. And then probably just adapt a LC case to it. Easily done. I did a 205/WJ tank because of 14 bolt and 40s but if I was retaining stock axles and say 35s... hf2av itd be.

As far as adapting the auto. Not sure where duiser diesel adapters bs is on selling them anymore but do yourself a favor and just steer clear anyway. I’m unsure that there are any other options.

I’d comb through all the cummins swap threads and see what everyone else did. I feel like some were pre duiser, I thought Cody??, but I may be wrong or they may just be manual swaps.

If you can find an adapter for auto next concern is trans controller and flex plate, CJmoon has done most of the legwork here but can’t recall where it all stands

What are you hoping to gain? It has to weight 3 times what the stock engine weighs. If fuel efficiency does not matter why not swap in an LS and not carry the weight penalty?
My main goal is to gain more power, my rig is too heavy when loaded (5 passengers, armor, roof rack loaded with coolers, propane tanks, spare tires etc etc ) going uphill on a highway is very frustrating I’m currently running 35 inch tires and 4.11 gears (original manufacturer size)
With the 6bt I’m hopping to get more power and torque (turbocharger will definitely help)
I’m currently deciding on the gears either 4.56 or 4.88 but honestly I don’t think the gears alone will solve my problems.
Anyways thanks for all the input guys.
Researching is painful specially when is no easy answers.

@Whiskerz ”a quick google” is good. But go ahead and read a bit more than it takes to refute someone. 584 is a completely stripped block. Wet 1fz is around 800. Wet Cummins is a bit under 1100. Not a huge difference. And what does a BB Ford have to do with a anything? I don’t see any area it belongs in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom