CSF Radiator Install

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by Seth Lemke, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Seth Lemke

Seth Lemke

I've been a lurker for years, leaning heavily on the forums for information. My FJ Cruiser is really my wife's and that means I don't get to modify, so I haven't had anything to add until now.
    [​IMG]
    With 183K miles on the truck the water pump finally started leaking a month ago. I swapped it and all the tensioner/idler pulleys on the front. While I was in there I got to looking at the radiator. There's nothing wrong with it, but the truck has lived a hard hot life in Houston and the plastic end tanks are getting chalky looking.
    Turns out there's not a lot available for our trucks in the way of all aluminum radiators. I found that CSF had started making them, but couldn't find any for sale. I reached out to them and they said they had them but hadn't updated the sales software yet but I was welcome to order one. They even gave me a discount for being one of the very first ones to order. I've had a bad time shipping radiators in the past, but packaging was great. Solid foam and coroplast protecting the core.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BMThiker likes this.
  2. Seth Lemke

Seth Lemke

Installation is basic radiator stuff. If you use a long extension you can get away with just removing the upper grill. You can snake your way next to the headlights.
    [​IMG]
    And through the lower grille.
    [​IMG]
    The only issue is that leaving the plastic in place means you can't get your hands to the bolts. A magnet on a stick is your best friend.
    [​IMG]
    The only parts you have to swap over are the rubber bushings which came apart easily. This is my favorite car to work on. Toyota did such a great job screwing it together.
    [​IMG]
    The radiator is expensive but it's all aluminum and the core is about twice as thick at stock. It takes about a half gallon more coolant to fill the system now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There isn't any drama. It just fits. Twice as thick and everything drops right back into place.

BMThiker likes this.
  3. Seth Lemke

Seth Lemke

The coolest part of this (for me) is that the radiator is set up for an automatic truck, and mine is a manual. This means that the built in trans cooler isn't used.
    [​IMG]
    Right now I'm shopping for the proper heat resistant hose, a 12V pump and a shower head. For those of us with manual transmissions, we get a free heat exchanger for back country showers. :)

I'm thinking this is the start of a long slippery slope with this truck.

joabmc and BMThiker like this.
  4. BMThiker

BMThiker I aim to misbehave Moderator SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the contribution. I'm over 200K now and still running stock H2O pump and radiator, but good to know there is an aluminum option available.:clap:

5. Seth Lemke

Seth Lemke

They're reliable enough that you have to take off perfectly good parts to upgrade them. It's a good problem to have. :)

BMThiker likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.