Crusier top garage hoist... pics? Ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy- Not sure if this is cruiser tech but...

Just bought my first house! Got a sweet 2 car garage, with 10 foot ceilings, honestly I am just as excited about the garage as I am the rest of the house.

Anyhow, I was hoping to rig up a hoist/pulley system that can raise up the top as a one man operation. It doesnt seem to hard to make happen, but I am sure someone else has already done it.

Any pics, or ideas? I was thinking of a manual boat/trailer winch and a nylon sling to hoist it up. Do you think the top would flex or warp if it wasnt reinforced or at least raised up with some wooden beams under the top?

Anyone learn anything the hard way or have a good idea?

Thanks in advance.

Rezarf <><

This might help. I got a catalogue in the mail yesterday from California Car Covers. They sell lots of accessories besides covers, and I saw in there some hoists for tops for luxury cars such as Mercedes. They cost $$$. I think the price ranged between $600 and $700. Anyway, I remember looking at the pictures wondering if you could copy one for a Cruiser. Sorry I don't have a pic in front of me, but you might do a Google search and see if they have a website and online catalogue.

Tell you buddies your having a party

Tell your buddies, free beer and food. When they get there, you tell them, by the way. We got to take the top off the cruiser.

They cuss, but they always help.

:cheers:
J.R.

JRFJ4- said:
Tell your buddies, free beer and food. When they get there, you tell them, by the way. We got to take the top off the cruiser.

They cuss, but they always help.

:cheers:
J.R.

That is sweet when you got friends... new house, new town.

Rezarf <><

REZARF said:
That is sweet when you got friends... new house, new town.

Rezarf <><

i got a buddy who lives up in boulder
you get some beer and i bet i can get him and a couple of guys to come help you.
pm me with your phone# i'll have him call you

PabloCruise said:
Rezarf,

Boulder is a friendly town...

What ar you doing tonight?

Come meet the fine folks of Rising Sun 4x4 Club

We meet at Stevinson Toyota...

TJ will even follow you home and help take you top off (NOT a sexual inuendo) :D

dingdong said:
I saw some good ideas in these threads. I like the engine hoist idea the best.

Garage Hoist Search

It should be the one in the hardtop removal thread.

bunk link ding dong....

Sorry about the link. It did work when I previewed my post.
I just put 'garage hoist' in search.

my line of work requires that I lift and rig things all the time .If you like I could design you something .Let me know if you have trouble finding what you are looking for!

I had one made for my Jeepster Commando by (I think) these guys: Hoist It was rigged to attach to my Yakima racks, I would just hook it on, unbolt the top, hoist it up, and drive off. Easy one-man operation. I didn't trust that heavy thing hangin' in my garage, so I made a folding dolly thing so I could roll it off to the side out of the way. I wouldn't trust the cheapo ones made for Heep Wangler tops, they look too flimsy for a metal top. I'll try to find any of my records from when we were designing the thing, but I.m afraid they're long gone...

Nial

I use self arresting straps tied into the joist.
DSCF0031.JPG

http://www.tym.us/FJ40top.html

go there, i did the same thing, only in my garage, and with a hand winch instead, but it works out pretty easy, i used chains instead of rachet straps so that it didnt stretch (my rig barely fits in my garage, so i need all the lift i could get)

Jonathan // SandRider

dgangle said:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=48220

I am convinced that if you stay on this board long enough you are sure to see virtually every topic re-discussed every 2-3 months.

yeah, but if you stay on long enough, you can act like you know something and just tell the new guy what the old guy told you 3 months ago....ha ha ha

malphrus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom