Crushed By a Large Tree (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have any experience with this? Happened today and I am not home. No glass broken. LMK your thoughts. Hoping this is not a loss.

EF3E079C-4930-464E-9F7F-E4D7A03964D3.jpeg

28CC1110-CD03-4F38-AAD3-F537B8493DBC.jpeg

holy s***, thats a tough one, racks done
hows the roof?

I hate to say it, but that's gotta be totalled. These rigs are so expensive to fix and that doesn't look good at all.

Sorry boss.

make sure insurance knows about all the extra stuff on you truck

Looking at the second picture there is a lot of weight on the rig. Not a good sign. I'll go out on a limb and offer positive thoughts that the house roof broke enough of the fall that the rig roof can be repaired.

Something else must be holding up most of the weight. With no broken glass, saving it might depend on the skills and tools used to remove the tree. I wonder if Lifting it off the LC with a crane truck and carefully cutting the trunk up could be one way to get the best possible outcome. Just whacking it up in place and allowing the full weight to further crush the truck could be not so good.

Edit. Or even better, lift the tree off enough to drive the LC out.

Man, that’s horrible. Hopefully it’s fixable or at least you make out ok with your insurance company.

My condolences . If it does survive, surely you can get a new roof rack from front runner as that’s about as good an advertisement as they could get.

I'll go out on a limb…

Too Soon!

You might be in luck. Some painting will be needed but maybe the truck will live. Nice color BTW.
Maybe if you send them pics - the rack that saved the truck, they will give you a big discount on a new rack.

Even as expensive as tree removal is, I’m wondering if its worthwhile for your insurance company to pay for the very best in order to save a large payout on the LC. I’m thinking lashing across the split to secure the large sections together and then, in concert, lifting that point as well as above and below enough to free the LC before any other work is done. Not my line of work, just a thought. Hope it goes well.

Nothing to add but my hope that it’s salvageable. Red wings are making a playoff push though so that’s something. (Fellow wing fan here)

Wow! Looks like the house took the brunt. Going to be on the tree guys to not crush the vehicle.

I wouldn't wait around or think too long on this one. You don't want the tree to continue to shift and for things to get worse. The truck looks surprisingly okay - I don't see any bulging doors, windows or bent metal. I suspect your roof is all scratched up and maybe badly dented. If so, and you repair it, make sure you run whatever wires and cables you might ever want through the roof and A-pillars while they have the headliner down.
The truck looks surprisingly okay, I think you might have lucked out.

Wow, that sucks. We had ~40mph wind at my place and I am at sea level (and <mile from Baker Beach as the crow flies). Up at ~2000 feet the truck was literally rocking so I am guessing 60mph+.

I'd go for total loss....but I'd be more worried about the house and wind coverage on the policy.

With all that impact and weight on the roof, I'd imagine every roof-rack mounting point is dented/damaged. Salvageable? Maybe.

I'm worried about the OP's chances to replace the vehicle if totaled. Mine is insured for a stated value which I hope is enough to get a used replacement in as good of shape.

I'm worried about the OP's chances to replace the vehicle if totaled. Mine is insured for a stated value which I hope is enough to get a used replacement in as good of shape.
Double check your policy, usually with stated amount policies you either get stated amount or market value-whichever is lower. An "Agreed Value" policy would mean you get paid out the exact dollar amount the agreed value. This is so that JoeBlow with a '99 Civic can't get a stated amount policy for $100k.

Double check your policy, usually with stated amount policies you either get stated amount or market value-whichever is lower. An "Agreed Value" policy would mean you get paid out the exact dollar amount the agreed value. This is so that JoeBlow with a '99 Civic can't get a stated amount policy for $100k.

Side note, I was thinking of switching to Allstate and asked for an agreed upon value to insure and they will only do it for classic cars under 3k miles a year or something like that :-/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom