Cruising through western NC. Where to go? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
aboderoc.com
I'm going to be in Asheville next Friday with my new-to-me 80 series. We're making a loop from Florida on Thursday to Asheville and need to be in Atlanta by Saturday morning. We are hoping to do some hiking while we're in town and I'd also like to hit some fire roads (no serious offroad just yet) or just cool back roads that are a fun drive or have a nice view.

I see Chattahoochee and Nantahala National Forests are basically between ATL and Asheville, so if I venture off the highway I'm guessing there are some great places to check out in there.

If you can recommend any roads to try and hit or some trails to hike, we would appreciate the tips.

So you have one day of driving or two with an overnight somewhere?

Couple ideas - I haven't done all of this:

North Route: Head west hit the BRP here/there - - and take it to the Heintooga trail, then come down through Mingo Falls. A little hiking there. Come on down through Dillard GA.

Gorges Route: You could do the BRP down to Brevard. Hike to some waterfalls on the way. Take old 64. Hit Gorges. Hike there.

Some highlights via Google Maps:

Folk Art Center: Google Maps
Pisgah Inn (great overlook, average food): Google Maps
Heintooga Trail Entrance: Google Maps
Mingo Falls: Google Maps
Sliding Rock: Google Maps
Gorges State Park: Google Maps
Nantahala Outdoor Center (further West): Google Maps

I'm going to be in Asheville next Friday with my new-to-me 80 series. We're making a loop from Florida on Thursday to Asheville and need to be in Atlanta by Saturday morning. We are hoping to do some hiking while we're in town and I'd also like to hit some fire roads (no serious offroad just yet) or just cool back roads that are a fun drive or have a nice view.

I see Chattahoochee and Nantahala National Forests are basically between ATL and Asheville, so if I venture off the highway I'm guessing there are some great places to check out in there.

If you can recommend any roads to try and hit or some trails to hike, we would appreciate the tips.
Since you’ll be between Asheville and Atlanta Look into the Georgia traverse. It’s north Georgia. Beautiful scenery and well maintained fire roads.

Just did Catawba falls in the Asheville area. A great little hike to the falls. Our hike involved young women changing their clothes in front of us. Which is Asheville appropriate

BE730848-7609-4D4D-B385-404E6A0B0B1A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom