Cruiserteq Underdrive gear set install gone wrong, any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.oregontrailer.net
I’m hoping someone might have an idea for me here. I bought a 10% underdrive gear set from cruiserteq for my ‘91, and a slee part time kit to pop in at the same time. I’m not mechanically inclined enough to perform the work myself so I had my trusted mechanic do the install. He’s worked on my 80 quite a bit, always with good results. Anyway, while he was in there he popped in a couple new bearings that were showing wear signs, swapped the gears, put in the slee spool in, put it all back together, and it absolutely won’t go into high gear, and it’s difficult to get it into low gear, the gears grind badly. The mechanic isn’t sure what’s wrong, but is taking responsibility to figure it out next week after he gets a few other client’s cars up to speed. Does anyone have any clue what might be the issue here so I can hopefully help my mechanic figure this out and get my pig back on the road? Thanks in advance!

The 1991 FSM is not clear on the orientation of the 2 high/low clutch sleeves that get moved by the dual shift forks for high/low operation. However, later versions of the FSM specify that the beveled edge of each clutch sleeve is supposed to face forward.
I have no idea if that would effect proper operation or engagement. This is just something I noticed when looking through the various FSMs.

The 1991 FSM is not clear on the orientation of the 2 high/low clutch sleeves that get moved by the dual shift forks for high/low operation. However, later versions of the FSM specify that the beveled edge of each clutch sleeve is supposed to face forward.
I have no idea if that would effect proper operation or engagement. This is just something I noticed when looking through the various FSMs.
Thanks man, seems like a potential clue...

Kurt, yes thank you for checking up! The ball detent for the shifter had fallen out of position at some point before everything got buttoned back together, so unfortunately we had to take the t case back apart, but it was immediately obvious what happened. Got back together only to realize we hadn't synched up the CDL switch correctly, so we had to tip the case back out enough to reach the actuator. ANYWAY, fast forward to buttoning it all back up and I'm stoked on the results. I was hoping for a bit more climbing power, but at 6k lbs loaded with a 3fe powerplant on 33s and stock ring/pinion gears, I'm just happy to be able to drive 65 on the flat now, lol.

Kurt, yes thank you for checking up! The ball detent for the shifter had fallen out of position at some point before everything got buttoned back together, so unfortunately we had to take the t case back apart, but it was immediately obvious what happened. Got back together only to realize we hadn't synched up the CDL switch correctly, so we had to tip the case back out enough to reach the actuator. ANYWAY, fast forward to buttoning it all back up and I'm stoked on the results. I was hoping for a bit more climbing power, but at 6k lbs loaded with a 3fe powerplant on 33s and stock ring/pinion gears, I'm just happy to be able to drive 65 on the flat now, lol.

:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom