Cruiser's trailer wiring harness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the first time today I towed my boat that has trailer brakes. When I went to plug up the boats trailer lights to the harness of the Cruiser I noticed that the trailers harness had one too many male prongs. When I went oil reverse the trailers brakes engaged and made it very hard to back the boat up.
what do I need to do to the Cruisers harness to make it compatible for a trailer with brakes? I really hope I do not have to install one of those ugly trailer brake controllers on the inside of the Cruiser.

There's some basic info on wiring and pin configurations at this site. Based on the description of the 5th pin function, I wonder if your trailer is not wired correctly.

Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

Well the cruiser has a 4 pin whereas the boat trailer has a 5 pin. The boat trailer has hydraulic brakes.

Well the cruiser has a 4 pin whereas the boat trailer has a 5 pin. The boat trailer has hydraulic brakes.
Does the trailer have"hydraulic" brakes or Electric over hydraulic. If it only has hydraulic then there is no wiring to activate the hydraulic brakes, by backing up you actuate the brakes unless you flip over the catch on the sliding trailer coupling.
If it has electric over hydraulic brakes you need some type of controller I expect, and/or wiring change for the different plugs.

Last edited:
You need a 5 pin to match the boat. Splice the 4 wires you have onto the 5 pin, the 5th wire goes to a backup light, which sends current to disable the trailer brakes when in reverse.

Reactions: KDL
Travis is right. I'm at the hitch shop now. All I need is a 5 pin to match the trailer.

The 7pin hookup will give you more flexibility in the future... I just added 7pin and brake controller to mine but I also have several different trailers I pull, boat, utility trailer, car hauler, etc... My luck would be rigging up 5pin only to find I needed 7pin at some point...

The 7pin hookup will give you more flexibility in the future... I just added 7pin and brake controller to mine but I also have several different trailers I pull, boat, utility trailer, car hauler, etc... My luck would be rigging up 5pin only to find I needed 7pin at some point...

Are you referring to the round plug

Yes. Wire in a 7pin round plug on the truck now. Later on you can add the other leads if you want. By adding the 7pin now, and using a converter down to the 5, you're giving yourself the most flexibility with trailers and will not have to worry about stuff not working. You'll just need to have the proper adaptor on hand when you use a different trailer. It's really simple.

It's like bringing your straps, shackles, hi-lift, axe, shovel and tools with you even though you only need the shovel for the weekend camping. Who knows if you may get stuck, or have a tree fall and block your path and you need to move it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom