Cruisers & Coffee Planning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
Hey guys! So Cruisers and Coffee. Lets pick a recurring date. 3rd Wed of the month? Or??? Would one of you (@lelandEOD or @gregnash or ???) like to coordinate and set things up with a coffee shop?

If we are looking to expand the club membership with this I think we would be better off doing this on a weekend. During the week is usually hard to navigate for many due to work, kids, life in general.

Building off of what Lee had said in the meeting, I think it would be neat to do at either a "local" coffee shop (not Starbucks) in either Carson or South Reno. For those that would be interested do a short run maybe up jumbo and come down the service road that pops out into Gold Hill. Like we were discussing last night, this would be a "stocker friendly" run maybe teach some people the basics of using 4WD in their vehicles and then at the top you have a couple of options for people that may want different types or more challenging rides.

Option 1: Easy route, take service/mining road into Gold Hill and then people can get lunch in VC, peel off and head home to Reno or wherever.
Option 2: Bit more challenging.. people can peel off and head towards the Goni Towers (like our last run) and make the decision to either head home down Goni into Carson or follow the tree line and pop out down near the Aspens and then head into the American Flats area.
Option 3: Bit more challenging... people can peel off and head NORTH towards the main tower (e.g. last jumbo grade run) and then head down the steep hill and pop out at the parking lot in VC. This would be more of a "puker run" for people not that familiar with steep descents but we would likely need a more advance rig or two for trail lead and tail (just in case).

Also, my buddy that recently bought the built WJ said that somewhere in the region of the that north tower there is supposedly Jumbo Falls? @DesertLake Will do you know anything about that?

Why don't one of you guys coordinate and post an event thread with the date, times, location?

Jumbo Falls is about a mile or so from where the "jeep trail" takes it turn SE @gregnash.

1613149982337.png

Saturday morning, I'd say 9ish so people could do it and still have time for other activities like soccer games etc.
Postal Café in Washoe Valley might work, it's mid way between Reno and Carson which is a good compromise, Washoe Camp parking lot next door is empty at that time of day.
Jumbo Grade is close for those who want to extend it to a "Lunch" run to VC or over Goni to Carson.

9am works for me. I've been keeping an eye open for good locations that have ample parking. I'm going to recommend South Reno or Mid town but we can also move it around a bit too until we find a happy medium.
I have never been but Pianissimo Coffee is in a shopping center with a huge parking lot that is not very full most days. I think they sell "special" pastries too!

1613692027506.png

The Human Bean seems to have ample parking too...

1613692150903.png

Human Bean Parking lot is actually not all that big. I have been back there at the Cycle shop and really it is a pretty small area.
I need to talk to my brother because he lives off Double Diamond and I am sure there is something out in that area. I know there is a Starbucks near the RC Willey but would be nice to support a smaller, local place.

Human Bean Parking lot is actually not all that big. I have been back there at the Cycle shop and really it is a pretty small area.
I need to talk to my brother because he lives off Double Diamond and I am sure there is something out in that area. I know there is a Starbucks near the RC Willey but would be nice to support a smaller, local place.

Is Pianissimo Coffee and More out of the question? They have good reviews and that parking lot will be a ghost town early Sat mornings.

The only thing around dd/dr is a Dutch Brothers on Lauren and DR, but there's zero parking options there. There are the Starbucks as you mentioned. The one on Steamboat (R.C. Willey) has TONS of parking.

Regarding the Human Bean near the bike shop: The only thing open before 9 is the fitness place. Everything else is either closed on Sat or doesn't open until 10. We might be able to grab the lot before things get busy.

There's also a Human Bean on Longley and S. McCarran and that parking lot will be pretty empty too that early on a Sat. There's also access to Demonte Ranch offroad area from Longley for that quick run. It connect up with the Petroglyphs trail in VH.

Right next to the Human Bean on Langley/South McCarran is the “Wet Hen” restaurant. Great family owned business with good food for those that want breakfast before/after.
Juicies Hamburgers right next door, open at 11:00.

Is Pianissimo Coffee and More out of the question? They have good reviews and that parking lot will be a ghost town early Sat mornings.

The only thing around dd/dr is a Dutch Brothers on Lauren and DR, but there's zero parking options there. There are the Starbucks as you mentioned. The one on Steamboat (R.C. Willey) has TONS of parking.

Regarding the Human Bean near the bike shop: The only thing open before 9 is the fitness place. Everything else is either closed on Sat or doesn't open until 10. We might be able to grab the lot before things get busy.

There's also a Human Bean on Longley and S. McCarran and that parking lot will be pretty empty too that early on a Sat. There's also access to Demonte Ranch offroad area from Longley for that quick run. It connect up with the Petroglyphs trail in VH.
The *$'s on Steamboat would be a good venue IMHO. Easy on/off from 580. Subway and McD's nearby for those who don't want to pay $5 for a cup of coffee. Plus basically unlimited parking in the RC Willy lot.

The *$'s on Steamboat would be a good venue IMHO. Easy on/off from 580. Subway and McD's nearby for those who don't want to pay $5 for a cup of coffee. Plus basically unlimited parking in the RC Willy lot.
As much as I hate Starbucks, I think you might be right. I'll defer to @lelandEOD, @gregnash, and the rest of you though... I just wanna show up! :)

In college I was on the Cycling Team (wouldn't know it by looking at me now:rofl:) and we always chose locally owned businesses to hold our gatherings.
Even as cheap college students we made an impression on that local business with our wallets. Made it a lot easier when we needed sponsors or donation for our races and events. As the club looks at possibly organizing TLCA event sponsorship will play a big part. If all the Human Bean locations are under one ownership they might be better potential sponsor than a one off local coffeeshop. No personal experience with how Starbucks handles local sponsorships.

With regards to recruiting new members (like myself) good drive by traffic is key. McCarran and Virginia locations likely get the most drive by Traffic.
Human Bean on McCarran/Langley and Pianissimo Coffee (if park up by Napa Sonoma/Chevron) facing Virginia will likely get the most eyeballs out of the locally owned business listed above. Both options have additional local businesses that would be potential sponsors.

I'm the FNG and haven't even paid my dues yet but I don't mind going by Pianissimo Coffee and testing the waters for March 20 gathering. I picked this option because the reviews mentions the owners having regular presence. I've been by the Human Bean several times and usually just young kids working.

In college I was on the Cycling Team (wouldn't know it by looking at me now:rofl:) and we always chose locally owned businesses to hold our gatherings.
Even as cheap college students we made an impression on that local business with our wallets. Made it a lot easier when we needed sponsors or donation for our races and events. As the club looks at possibly organizing TLCA event sponsorship will play a big part. If all the Human Bean locations are under one ownership they might be better potential sponsor than a one off local coffeeshop. No personal experience with how Starbucks handles local sponsorships.

With regards to recruiting new members (like myself) good drive by traffic is key. McCarran and Virginia locations likely get the most drive by Traffic.
Human Bean on McCarran/Langley and Pianissimo Coffee (if park up by Napa Sonoma/Chevron) facing Virginia will likely get the most eyeballs out of the locally owned business listed above. Both options have additional local businesses that would be potential sponsors.

I'm the FNG and haven't even paid my dues yet but I don't mind going by Pianissimo Coffee and testing the waters for March 20 gathering. I picked this option because the reviews mentions the owners having regular presence. I've been by the Human Bean several times and usually just young kids working.
Nope this is valuable information and exactly why I was recommending a smaller, local shop vs. Starbucks. You are going to see more mall crawlers and soccer moms/dads at SB than you would at the local shop. Hell, I go to SB simply because it is within close proximity of my office, otherwise I would rather go to somewhere like Old World Coffee or Carson Coffee or one of the smaller pastry places like LA Bakery if I am just going to hang and grab some joe.

Since I am not familiar with the places you guys are referring to (other than Human Bean) I will defer to those that live in Reno. My brother is in that area, so I can always make an excuse to run by his place (or a shop nearby) to check locations and get a better feel.

Another Option we could do is rotate location just to allow for more participation. Just like those that live out in NE Reno, Sparks, Wingfield Springs, etc. won't want to come down to Carson for a meet, those from places like Tahoe, Gardnerville, Minden, etc. won't necessarily want to go all the way up to Reno.

Memo has answered some questions when I have talked with him in the past and he is kind of where I got the answer. Granted SoCal is a little more open to travel for such events simply because they have great proximity to hwys and most people are used to have to drive 30 minutes to get just about anywhere. I might reach out to Memo and see if he has any pointers on organizing, or any lessons learned.

I say we start at the Human Bean on Longley/South McCarran and reassess in a month or two. We can move the location around in the future but I'd like to spread the word that the club meets at the same place and time consistently to encourage new people to come out or just swing by to see if there are any Toyotas sitting outside.

Last edited:
I say we start at the Human Bean on Longley/South McCarran and reassess in a month or two. We can move the location around in the future but I'd like to spread the word that the club meets at the same place and time consistently to encourage new people to come out or just swing by to see if there are any Toyotas sitting outside.
Let's do it! :)

Probably too short notice to do it tomorrow; you want to pen it in for next Saturday?
I could do tomorrow. Have to be back at house by 11:30 for Electrician but I like in Hidden Valley so only 10min drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom