Events/Trails Cruisers & Coffee - May 1, 2021 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
May Social - Cruisers & Coffee
What
: Casual gathering of Cruiserheads and maybe a light run through Demonte Ranch Highlands.
When: Saturday May 1, 2021 @ 9AM
Where: Peet's Coffee (Inside Raley's), 3701 S Carson St, Carson City, NV 89701
Bring: Land Cruisers! Chairs, dress warm, lunch, trails coms and recovery gear if you plan to do the run after coffee.
Communications: HAM - 146.460 (146.050 backup channel)
Trail: Kings Canyon

Trail Details
Trail Scale for King's Canyon
1617944087347.png

1617944144021.png

Details:
This is a public event hosted by Battle Born Cruisers so non-Toyota based vehicles may show up. All are welcome! Trail run is TBD. We will do at least the first portion of King's Canyon up to Hwy 50 summit. We may continue on to Kingsbury Trail if conditions permit. I need to scout an alternate trailhead before posting additional details, but here's the tracks from the last club run up the trail (the magenta route is what I need to scout).

1617943964528.png

Looking forward to seeing folks on Sat. Who's planning on coming?

I am doing some scouting this afternoon to make sure the connecting trail to King's Canyon is open and passable.

Your going to run into some snow fields especially in the pines🌲 on that big U turn and then some at the top. Maybe they are thin enough to just wheel over. If you get stuck call me. From the maintenance yard(if the gate is open) it could be sketchy. It gets pretty high through there. Not much visible from the road but there is a lot of shady areas the probably haven't melted off yet.❄️☃️⛄

Your going to run into some snow fields especially in the pines🌲 on that big U turn and then some at the top. Maybe they are thin enough to just wheel over. If you get stuck call me. From the maintenance yard(if the gate is open) it could be sketchy. It gets pretty high through there. Not much visible from the road but there is a lot of shady areas the probably haven't melted off yet.❄️☃️⛄

You won't be joining us? :(

I'm thinking we will likely end the trip at Hwy 50 this time around. Do you think King's Canyon is going to be snowy too? Maybe we will do something to the east in the lowlands instead.

No I think kings canyon could be doable. The easy way to find out is go in from the hwy 50(summit) side. The area that can hold you up is about a mile in just past the parking lot we stopped at. The rest is southern exposure except in the trees just around the corner from the "obstacle".

So mtbing friend tried riding to Spooner from Kings Canyon trailhead and said he got up just above 7k' when he hit snow that wasn't passible. Not really sure what exact point this was but he had to turn around. Thing is that there are a couple real tight areas in there and then some creek/watershed crossings higher up that may or may not pose and issue. I have ridden that way in a longer ride last year in the fall (ended up being 33 miles all together) so just be wary as you get higher because things will get more difficult to turn around should you hit issues.

After I am done doing some transport of stuff tonight, I will take a run up 50 to where you pop out near Spooner lake to give a sitrep.

We will hit 7K feet on this run. I guess I'll cruise up 50 tomorrow and hit the trail from the top and see how things look. If it isn't passable, then we could do some more exploring where we went last time unless someone has another suggestion for South Carson?

We will hit 7K feet on this run. I guess I'll cruise up 50 tomorrow and hit the trail from the top and see how things look. If it isn't passable, then we could do some more exploring where we went last time unless someone has another suggestion for South Carson?
@Tony_Farson did you do a sitrep?
I got caught up moving stuff and figuring things out at the new place. Went for a ride prior to by the time I was done with everything I was tried, sweaty and nasty and hangry. So I never headed up that direction.

If you didn't I can make a quick run up that way after work.

I was planning on heading up there today, but I don't think work is going to allow it. I did review via satellite and there are plenty of spots for turning around along the route. So I think we will be alright, but if you don't mind doing a quick recon, that would be great. I was going to enter it from the Hwy 50 side at 39.10533, -119.89434 and If the area up to 39.118785, -119.883414 is clear, then we should be good to go for the rest of the trail.

I was planning on heading up there today, but I don't think work is going to allow it. I did review via satellite and there are plenty of spots for turning around along the route. So I think we will be alright, but if you don't mind doing a quick recon, that would be great. I was going to enter it from the Hwy 50 side at 39.10533, -119.89434 and If the area up to 39.118785, -119.883414 is clear, then we should be good to go for the rest of the trail.
Got it.. I will take a look see.

Just ran the entire thing. You guys are good to go. One semi technical spot about halfway up but otherwise no snow on the trail.

Just ran the entire thing. You guys are good to go. One semi technical spot about halfway up but otherwise no snow on the trail.
Thanks! You coming tomorrow?

Great day, thanks for all who came out!

Nice! Looks like you guys went through the north side of Voltaire canyon and then dropped through the meadows behind C-Hill. How was the steep section at the meadow before climbing up to the Kings Canyon fireroad?

Nice! Looks like you guys went through the north side of Voltaire canyon and then dropped through the meadows behind C-Hill. How was the steep section at the meadow before climbing up to the Kings Canyon fireroad?
We took the paved road up to the two houses we talked about. There was a nice descent on the backside once the pavement ended. I do wanna try the front side of that hill one of these days.

There is a paved road that goes back to them! Ah ok, I never knew if there was, figured but just never went searching for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom