Cruiser_guys BJ60 revival and trip home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some of you may or may not remember my old man Cruiser_Guy, he passed away back in 2014, long story short I’ve inherited the old 3B 60 series that he poured so much time into. I’m trying to get it started but all that happens is a “click” when I turn the key to the ‘start’ position, And the dash cluster doesn’t activate when the key is turned into the ‘on’ position but the hazards flash on the dash when turned on, and the high beam light on the dash also comes on. All this leads me to think it’s a simple loose wire or bad relay, since there seems to be plenty of juice in the batteries, the fuses are all good and the grounds seem good too, I’ve also checked the ignition switch and that checks out. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight.

Try tapping on the body of the starter with a hammer.

Also measure the voltage across the battery and measure the voltage at the battery wire on the starter to ground. Should be about the same as the battery voltage.

While reading the battery voltage with a volt meter have someone else try to start it and observe what the voltage drops to.

Also even if the bat voltage seems fine you might try jumping it to another running car to see if that makes any difference.

Oh also inspect the fusible link at the battery assuming it’s like a 2f harness.

good to hear you're bringing the rig back to life. I met you all when you stopped by my place in MT on your trip back north from Guatemala.
mid 2000's?? back when your dad was working on the LV.
hopefully you'll be able to make your own memories in the rig.

If you're in vancouver we could meet up, I just bought a 60 with 3b

I’m in Dawson City Yukon right now, but I’m driving it to Vancouver once it starts, I’d definitely be down for a meet up once I’m back

More issues, now it’ll crank all day but won’t fire up, I’ve bled the fuel lines changed the glow plugs but not sure what I’m missing, I’ve taken off the hose on the injector return tube and it’s dry... I assume that’s not good, how can I check the functionality of the fuel pump? Do I need to bleed the injector return tube and what not with the throttle open?

Last edited:
I can't help with your problem, but I suggest you also try posting in the diesel tech/24volts section. Those members know their diesel stuff....

Hmmm, have some one crank while you loosen the injector lines one by one to make sure all air is out. Also pull the filter and chek the fuel in there. I suggest replacing it and then prime the system. I am sure its a fueling issue. Pretty easy to sort out on these old girls.

i swapped the fuel filter and drained the tank, reprimed the lines and loosened an injector tube and I’m not getting any fuel, my next thought is a fuel shut off relay/solenoid, anyone know where I’d find that?

I’m reasonably sure the solenoid is good since it won’t prime when the key is off but will when it’s on which makes me think it’s the pump but that makes no sense since it was parked in perfect condition 3 years ago there’s no reason the pump or any seals should have failed. I’m at a total loss here. I was able to get fuel out of the pump end of the injector return tube, but nothing to the injectors even with one cracked open and priming the system while someone else cranks it. I’m sure it’s something simple. Any ideas would be great

Can you video the injection pump whilst cranking? Assuming you have the inline pump on your 3B the EDIC should pull the Fuel Control Lever towards the firewall.. if its not moving, you'll have no fuel.

I got it running now, there’s bad wiring going to the fuel cut off solenoid so I rigged a manual on/off bypass switch straight to the battery with an in-line fuse and it runs like the day Charles drove it out of the dealer all those years ago
But now I have a clutch issue, it doesn’t seem to be engaging, like it’s locked open, I’ve bled the system and that seems good, when I’m off the clutch I can go into any gear but 5 and when I push the clutch in I can go into 5 and release with nothing happening, 3 and 4 sound like they’re catching something before they slide in, like the clutch is very very lightly engaged but not enough to handle to torque of driving, any ideas on what to try? I was raised on this truck but I would say I haven’t been a cruiser_guy for a while

Blown slave cylinder?

are you saying with the engine running, you can put it in gear whether the clutch pedal is depressed or not?

is the transfer case in "N"?

Anyway to have someone push the clutch in while you confirm slave cylinder is moving enough? Could have blown seals and only moving a little bit.

T-case in neutral would allow you to shift into gear with clutch and let out and not move.

🤦🏻‍♂️ T-Case was in neutral, 4 days to connect 1 corroded wire, bypass another and put the T-case into high 2, but now the old girl is mobile, I’ll post some pictures from the drive and if I have any problems I’ll let ya’all know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom