cruiser won't start after sitting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 85 won't start when it's been sitting enough to cool or overnight. At first I thought it was because it was cold out but it's been hitting almost 50 here and still doesn't like to start. It runs pretty well once it's going and warm. I'm thinking of rebuilding the carb to see if that helps. It won't start without starting fluid usually either. I'm on a budget since I'm a college student. Any help would be appreciated.

Take the air cleaner off, and work the carburetor linkage. You should see gas shoot in from the accelerator pump. If you don't, start the engine, let it run a little bit and try it again. If you don't still don't see gas squirting in, then something is wrong with our accelerator pump. If you do the second time, but not the first, then you are losing fluid from your carburetor bowl. Check for leaks around the outside and make sure your carb fan is turing on. Also make sure your EVAP system is working properly.

No offense, but you do know that with a carburetor, you need to pump the accelerator a few times before cold starting?

Take the air cleaner off, and work the carburetor linkage. You should see gas shoot in from the accelerator pump. If you don't, start the engine, let it run a little bit and try it again. If you don't still don't see gas squirting in, then something is wrong with our accelerator pump. If you do the second time, but not the first, then you are losing fluid from your carburetor bowl. Check for leaks around the outside and make sure your carb fan is turing on. Also make sure your EVAP system is working properly.

No offense, but you do know that with a carburetor, you need to pump the accelerator a few times before cold starting?

I'll give this a shot tomorrow. Yeah, I know you have to pump the accelerator a few times, I used to just have to pump it twice, and sometimes hold it down a little and it would fire right up, but it started taking more and more pumps to get it to start.
I just read through testing the EVAP system in my FSM, seems like a rather simple procedure, I'll give that a shot as well.
Carb Fan turns on as well, and I've looked for leaks and haven't spotted anything yet.

Another note, when I sit at idle for a while, after some time the engine seems to miss, and/or bog down here and there. Could these be related?

Howdy! You may need to adjust the choke so it closes off the top of the carb more when it is cold. John

My guess accel. pump,Also check for leaking fittings all the way back to the fuel tank. Mike

I took a quick look today, and before I cranked it the fuel bowl was low, way below the sight glass. Once I cranked on it and checked it was up where it should be, maybe even a little high. Before I cranked it I worked the linkage, and I didn't see any fuel squirting in. This is supposed to be an obvious squirt, right? thats how its been with the other carbs I've seen. After trying to turn it over a bunch I tried again, and still no obvious squirt. I had to get somewhere so I gave it a half second spray of starting fluid and she started right up. Makes me think something might be wrong with the accelerator pump? started to look moist around the rubber boot after trying to start it for a little while.

Bingo!

No obvious squirt and moist around boot.............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom