Cruiser TOWED...in pain, need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bpenn1980

SILVER Star
Threads
First things first, here's a video w/ sound:
-video is one post below.

There's a pic of my pain at the bottom.

Ok, this is what happened. Driving on the freeway, 65-70mph, CEL comes on, exit freeway. Truck appears fine, idle, temp, oil pressure, electric. I decide to pull a code. I PLUGGED IN THE WRONG CONNECTOR. I plugged in E1 to the +B. I got a spark :eek: The CEL doesnt appear anymore, at all, even with the key at ON. I broke my cruiser cause I'm an idiot and cant remember the paperclip trick the correct way. :ban:

I go try to start her up and it sounds exactly like in the video. I check all the fuses in DS cabin and inside engine compartment on DS. All check out. I decide to let it cool for a while. Same thing. I immediately went to spark or fuel right? Thats what it sounds like. Except for me and my faulty paperclip technique I would guess thats where the problem was, now I think the door has been opened to something much more sinister.

Beside the possibility of having frying something electrical (ECU? :frown:) I did pull and clean the throttle body, IAC, MAF and replaced the PCV yesterday. It was running fantastic all day today though, 150 miles or so and some very light off-road driving, so I dont know if they're related or not.

I feel like such an idiot. Today did not turn out to be a good day.

Cruiser towed back home- $200
Cab ride after tow- $20
Obliterated ego from own stupidity- $.02
Shame brought to fj-80 community by being towed on freeway- :bang:
The Cruiser copy.jpg

Last edited:
IIRC, somebody else did that awhile back and burned up something in the fuel system... I don't remember what though....

So, I guess this is a bad time to point out that the paper clip shorting is on a sticker on the bottom of the hood on every LandCruiser, eh? Yep, the diagram was right in front of you while you were working on it.....

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Unless someone here has done the same thing and diagnosed it, you should probably start with checking any fusible links, and then consider bringing it to an automotive electrical shop. At least you can tell them exactly what you did, so there will be little diagnostics needed - they can go right to the affected circuit and start tracing.

DougM

+B at the DLC1 comes from the 15A EFI fuse in the underhood fuse block. It also powers the EFI main relay and several other devices. Hope this helps.

First off, me being a dolt aside, you guys are great.

IIRC, somebody else did that awhile back and burned up something in the fuel system... I don't remember what though....
+B is listed as the EFI Main Relay in my FSM. Thanks, that got me started here

So, I guess this is a bad time to point out that the paper clip shorting is on a sticker on the bottom of the hood on every LandCruiser, eh? Yep, the diagram was right in front of you while you were working on it.....

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Unless someone here has done the same thing and diagnosed it, you should probably start with checking any fusible links, and then consider bringing it to an automotive electrical shop. At least you can tell them exactly what you did, so there will be little diagnostics needed - they can go right to the affected circuit and start tracing.

DougM
haha, serious? wow, I feel foolish. I'm standing there thinking, "ok, its TE1 and then down and diagonal....I think its this one....wait, I probably shouldnt do this unless i'm positive (!POP!) Oh **** that wasnt right"

Yep, had it towed straight to the shop. Will be talking to them in the AM. I will be suggesting EFI Main Relay first along with the fusible links.

+B at the DLC1 comes from the 15A EFI fuse in the underhood fuse block. It also powers the EFI main relay and several other devices. Hope this helps.

It does, thanks. But could I have fried my EFI Main Relay without breaking the 15a EFI Fuse? The fuse was still good when I checked. Also removed it unfortunately, so now the code I originally pulled over for is gone :doh:

Sorry to hear about your situation. Don't beat yourself up too bad over it, mistakes happen.

Also removed it unfortunately, so now the code I originally pulled over for is gone :doh:
I realize hindsight is 20/20 and I am not trying to criticize you but maybe your error will serve to help others.

A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS NOT A CRITICAL WARNING. Note the YELLOW color of the warning light, this indicates a problem but UNLESS the truck is running really badly you MAY continue to drive.

Note that an oil pressure warning is RED, this would indicate a CRITICAL warning and should not be driven while illuminated.

Best of luck with the repairs

Fusible links.

Question for you. I hadnt plugged the +B connector all the way in, it just touched the top. A quick spark jumped at that point. Is it possible that this "small" spark broke one of the fusible links? The wire I was using is very small gauge and I was holding it with my hand. Just trying to think it out.

Its at the shop now...I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a EFI Main Relay, the cheapest fix I've potentially come across.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Don't beat yourself up too bad over it, mistakes happen.

I realize hindsight is 20/20 and I am not trying to criticize you but maybe your error will serve to help others.

A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS NOT A CRITICAL WARNING. Note the YELLOW color of the warning light, this indicates a problem but UNLESS the truck is running really badly you MAY continue to drive.

Note that an oil pressure warning is RED, this would indicate a CRITICAL warning and should not be driven while illuminated.

Best of luck with the repairs

x2

Please, no one else do this. It hasnt been cool and has potential to get much worse.

Anyway, that is good advice. CEL comes on, make sure all your gauges are looking good, then keep going while keeping an eye on things. Would've saved me a $200 tow. Money well spent elsewhere.

Fusible links.

Jon,

I've read a lot of your posts over the last 12 hours, including your website, about the 3FE's problems with the EFI Main Relay and the lack of a CEL with key ON. The lack of a CEL seems to be a huge clue in my case as well.

Is the 3FZE similar in this regard? Just curious if I can use your awesome diagnostic write up from your website to troubleshoot this.
http://gclcny.com/jh/images/Strife/EFIdiag.pdf

I listened to the video and it sounds like an engine that won't start. Am I missing something?

Probably not, but I all of your ears together with the knowledge between them are better than my ears and peanut.

Fuel starved maybe. So far that seems to be the thought since the +B terminal I zapped is the EFI fuse, etc.

I am confused, what the hell is a 3fze??
I am with John, fusible links and possibly the relay after your diagnostic trip.
Dave

Question for you. I hadnt plugged the +B connector all the way in, it just touched the top. A quick spark jumped at that point. Is it possible that this "small" spark broke one of the fusible links? The wire I was using is very small gauge and I was holding it with my hand. Just trying to think it out.

Its at the shop now...I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a EFI Main Relay, the cheapest fix I've potentially come across.

OK, let's remember that electricity moves rather quickly. You shorted +12 directly to ground. It makes no difference if you "just touched" the contact or if you hot glued it. I'm surprised that the EFI main fuse didn't let go, but the weakest link will always go first. Fusible links are subject to vibration and have failed due to age. It's possible that yours was starting to fail, but this is all conjecture and is irrelevant to your situation at hand. Bottom line is you shorted the EFI +12 to ground and either the fusible link or the EFI fuse let go. Either one of these will prevent you from starting. You really need a multi meter and the EWD for your truck and have at the components. Replace what kersploded and go from there.

I am confused, what the hell is a 3fze??
I am with John, fusible links and possibly the relay after your diagnostic trip.
Dave

Am I wrong thinking the 3fze engine is after the 3fe? Maybe I didnt write it out correctly...

- call your insurance company and see if you have towing included in your coverage.
... you can get your $200 back!! It'll make you feel better!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom