Cruiser totaled last Friday - Insurance USAA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
My brother totaled my 2004 fully built cruiser last Friday. He's still recovering in the hospital from issues separate from the accident. Meantime, it's time to deal with insurance company. USAA.

I've read a lot of posts in the 80 series forum and a lot of them here today too. I'm just not sure which way to go.

It is likely that they will total the cruiser. I would LIKE to buy the cruiser back most likely.

Vehicle is 2004, 205K miles. Everything listed here is with receipts from within the last year.

New Paint $5K
ARB Front, ARB Rear, gas carrier, tire carrier $4K
Slee Sliders $1K
Slee and OME lift, torsion bars, UCA's $2100
New carpet $800
New leather seats $1900 + $600 install
Timing belt + All - $1K
Left and Right CV's, bearings, etc. all new OEM $1300
Tires, Wheels X 5 $3K
+ more but you get the point.

I had an offer of $24,500 for it within a week of the crash.

I submitted my receipts for everything. I was told that they won't do $ for $ on the receipts but that they would take it into consideration.

So, what happens next?

If they make a low offer, do I have the option to take seats, carpet, sliders, rear bumper? Anything?

If they make a decent offer but still not covering what I had invested, what's a buy back price look like?

I can find comparable prices, etc. but not that will come to what I have invested.

Last edited:
They will offer something lower than what they are willing to pay. Do NOT accept their first offer, no matter what it is. Cross-shop and provide examples of other clean 04+ models with similar or lower mileage.

For mods, I'm not sure. Varies quite a bit pending your policy.

New paint and leather/carpet is probably just lost. Really hard to get that properly valued.

Good luck. More importantly, I hope the driver is recovering well. Scary stuff.

Good luck. More importantly, I hope the driver is recovering well. Scary stuff.

Yes, my brother is recovering well. Absolutely most important.

that will be totaled for sure, what parts are not damaged that you put on? slider and bumpers look to have some damage
I would think it's totaled.

Good parts:

Wheels & tires (New $3K with receipts) -1 that is shot.
Rear Bumper (just needs wing)
Tire carrier, wheel carrier
Slee Lift, Diff Drop, UCA's.
Carpet

Sorry to hear about your brother, but it's good that he is recovering. Regarding your cruiser... I'm sure they will give you a ridiculously low offer. I had a 4runner get totaled a few years back. Initially I told them I did not need a rental car. However, after 3 weeks of low ball offers I told them I would need a rental until the issue got resolved. Within a week they came back with a much more reasonable offer. Good luck.
Cheers,
Scot

Sorry to hear about your brother, but it's good that he is recovering. Regarding your cruiser... I'm sure they will give you a ridiculously low offer. I had a 4runner get totaled a few years back. Initially I told them I did not need a rental car. However, after 3 weeks of low ball offers I told them I would need a rental until the issue got resolved. Within a week they came back with a much more reasonable offer. Good luck.
Cheers,
Scot
Scott, just curious, what did they start at and end at?

Do they typically make 3 or 5 offers or more?

Is there any point in getting legal representation, or am I really at their whim on the value?

once you get a lawyer into it, they will take 30-40% no matter what. Don't settle until the med bills are done n clear.

either way, I'd buy the cruiser back and make a parts car out of it. usually 15-25% of settled price. Chop it up, keep what you think is good plus spare parts and scrap the rest. Transfer into another cruiser. OEM parts I'd keep would be axles, brake master cylinder, tranny and diffs. Can always build them on the side to avoid downtime.

There was another thread on here not to long ago, it was 10k take it and leave it or 7500 check and truck back w/ salvage title.

Things that make me go hmmm... Hopefully they come back with a respectable offer. I dread this... They told me on Wednesday afternoon that they picked up the vehicle. Well, this evening, it still sits at a friends house. Ugh..

I have had to make a couple of claims with USAA for both auto accident and theft and I must say I was surprised at the recompense I received from them. Receipts made a huge difference , and although they didn't cover everything dollar for dollar (in the case of theft) it was very close. I hope you have the same experience.

start searching for built rigs and document the prices, there was one locally on CL the other day advertised for 25k and it was built well, and it is already gone

Here's another one if it helps. It's been for sale for well over a year, but USAA doesn't have to know that.
Hope you get everything resolved to your satisfaction. Got pics of the damaged truck?

Hope you get everything resolved to your satisfaction. Got pics of the damaged truck?

Yup, just saw it a few posts down.

Just curious, is there any issue with me removing the sliders and rear bumper before they tow it away?

I've talked to USAA about modified parts on my rig. Unless you had additional coverage, they won't cover what you've put into it. I also don't think they will let you take significant parts off it before surrendering it (if it gets totaled and they recompense). They will want something they can auction off.

I think my comprehensive/collision policy covered up to $2,500 in additional modifications, and anything above that I would have to add specific coverage and provide receipts. But everybody's policy terms will be different based on vehicle, driver history, and what you're willing to pay for insurance.

Scott, just curious, what did they start at and end at?

Do they typically make 3 or 5 offers or more?

Is there any point in getting legal representation, or am I really at their whim on the value?

It isn't really apples to apples since the 4runner I had was a 93 with no mods. If I recall they (not USAA) started around $2800 and when we finished I got $4400 out of it and bought it back for $1200. In my case the accident was somebody else fault so I had to work through their insurance company. They also tried to use national sales as a value reference and things changed a little in my favor when I had them find me local comparables.

Just curious, is there any issue with me removing the sliders and rear bumper before they tow it away?

If you don’t, and you don’t buy it back, you’ll never see that stuff again. It’s likely not going to have much of an effect on their payout, which will be based on a nonmodified truck. I’d remove what you can.

That's what I am thinking. Remove bumper and sliders. I wish I could pull the new carpet but don't have the old one. I may still buy it back but not worth taking a chance. If I had a set of old wheels, I would put them on too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom