1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cruiser Sightings from the Philippines.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Stone, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Stone

Stone Moderator

Just got back from a very short 8 day trip to the Philippines. Basically wanted to go back and celebrate my Grandmother's 90th birthday with my family there, and it would be my wife's first time visiting the motherland. :D The weather was great considering how hot it could get there...I guess it's the rainy season right now and we got to witness some flash flooding in Manila following some heavy bursts of moonsoon rain.

Managed to talk to Drexx on the cell phone once...unfortunately, he was headed to a famous resort that was well out of my way while I was there, so we didn't get to hook up. Sorry Drexx, it was great to hear your voice, though. My wife and I will definitely be back for a much longer visit in about 1.5 years when she finishes her Masters program.

Well, there were lots of cool Cruisers in the Philippines, many of them diesels. Saw plenty of 80 and 40 series around, but there were very few 70 series. Saw about 5 70 series in total (didn't really have the camera handy to capture many of them), but there was an HZJ78 pickup, an HZJ73, a BJ(or maybe HZJ)70, and a couple of cool looking LJ78 Prados.

Here's a shot of the 70:
    [​IMG]

A couple of nice diesel 80s:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of nice diesel 40s:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a cool armored 40 series diesel:
    [​IMG]

The Philippines is generally fairly poor, so many people drive around these "home-made" Jeep things that look really funny. They're stretched a little and ride kind of low to the ground. Ugly things...but gets them from point a to point b I guess.
    [​IMG]

And something for TB...there were plenty of these LWB Samurais kicking around in Bacolod City, many of them well built up.
    [​IMG]

And a little something for you gun freaks...it's been a while since I've pulled a trigger, but one of my uncles took us to a firing range one day. This is an M16A1 full auto:
    [​IMG]

My grouping:
    [​IMG]

A Victor 9mm semi-auto:
    [​IMG]

It was an awesome trip, and got to see a lot of family that I haven't seen in 18 years. Will definitely be back more often, but I'm glad to be home where 25*C is considered hot and the water is safe to drink from the tap. :D And I'm even more glad to be back behind the wheel of my BJ74. :D

Cheers.

2. Stone

Stone Moderator

Oh yeah...the trucks of choice there were not Land Cruisers. They were overwhelmingly in the favour of Patrols and Pajeros. Cool trucks, but would have been great to see more Cruisers. I think the Patrols outnumbered the Cruisers at least 10 to 1...that I saw anyway.

3. drexx

drexx

21Jul2005 (UTC +8)

Glad you enjoyed your stay here Stoned! :D I just got back last Monday from the province of Antique & Aklan (see my funny pics at http://www.pbase.com/drexx/16jul2005_libertad), which is just a few hundred klicks north of Negros Oriental. I would have toured you around Pampanga where they have more 'Cruisers, from 40-series and later models, but 8 days is just too short a time!

And yup, their are more Nissan Patrol than 'Cruisers because of one thing: cost. As the Aussies say, a Nissan Patrol is a poor man's Land Cruiser <big grin!>

4. Greg_B

Greg_B

Interesting Stone...

Cool pics...thanks.

gb

5. archie

archie

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Here's a few more pics from my personal trip in Feb 2005 (tread hijack :D ). It's from Mt. Pinatubo 10 years after the eruption. I thought I was in cruiser heaven with as many as 30 different 40 series attending and many other 70's and 80's series. My avatar has a shot from that trip also. I wonder if Kalawang's cruiser is any of these?

6. Stone

Stone Moderator

Archie: This trip was way too short. In a couple of years, we will be returning for a much longer visit. Hoping to get out and see more Cruisers then. Nice pic, by the way.

Drexx: Those are some funny pics. You're using your Cruiser as a Pinoy Jeepney. :D You guys were opening something official on that trip (ribbon cutting)? We need to hook up next time. I promise I will spend a lot longer time there.

7. mot

mot

Very cool!

Thanks for the pics, Stone!!

Mot

8. JKS

JKS

I can't get enough pics!
    Thanks!

9. drexx

drexx

25Jul2005 (UTC +8)

Kalawang's Cruiser is a 1991 HDJ-80 ex-JDM, so it's converted to LHD. I'll go take lots of pics of it next time he hangs out again. He had a bad accident a coupla weeks back and broke his right shoulder blade... so I guess that's why he ain't been posting for some time now, and definitely not driving.

10. drexx

drexx

25Jul2005 (UTC +8)

I'll hold you to those words :D You definitely need to come hang out and wheel with us here the next time. You can drive and I'll navigate and take pictures.

The ribbon cutting ceremony is for my mom's new Petron fuel station back home.

11. archie

archie

Got more pics since the topic was about cruiser sightings in the Philippines. Mt pinatubo. I took a ton of pics but these are the more unique cruisers.

12. Gus

Gus SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    The pics are great, thanks for sharing.

13. archie

archie

Here's something for the 70's series fans.