Cruiser pulls to the right , What can I do????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like it says: I have 4" springs and Hanna CC plates , I have swapped the rear LCA's left to right to no avail . Am I just stuck or is there something I can do?

Thanks,
ken

Mine does the same thing with 2.5 OME and bushings. Haven't been able to correct it. Let know if you figure it out

dragging caliper?
tire diameter is smaller than others.
loose bearing?
Bearing preload washer worn down allowing bearing slack and bearing inner race to cut into the spindle and all the misalignment is causing the axleshaft to go in a unnatural position and is causing wearing and binding the birfield.

I will double check the caliper , I did the bearings not too long ago and installed new "pre load" washers.
I will get the front up and take a closer look.

Thanks,
ken

Tire size, tire pressure, x3 on the caliper.

Worn TRE is possible.

be glad it doesnt pull to the left...

mine does the same thing

Nobody said alignment yet?

x4 on the caliper, my front passenger recently froze up, even though I replaced them about 8 months ago. :bang: Shows that parts can fault real quick. Also, double check your tire pressures.

tire pressure
x3

I was prepared to get an alignment to correct a nagging pull to the right that I endured most of the winter, but the correction was to equalize all the tires; wish I had done that simple check sooner.

Last edited:
well on our 80's the only adjustable alignment is toe, can it be greater on one side than the other. I recently added more toe to compensate for lift because i had the tre's replaced anbout a year ago and they did the alignment also. This may be obvious question to some but im in the dark here trying to find some damn light...thanks

x3

I was prepared to get an alignment to correct a nagging pull to the right that I endured most of the winter, but the correction was to equalize all the tires; wish I had done that simple check sooner.

Yup...sometimes it's just a simple fix (emphasis on "sometimes"). If you haven't already checked tire pressure (the cheapest issue) and alignment, I would certainly start there. :2cents:

IF you can eliminate brake drag from the equation then it only leaves alignment.

It's not uncommon for 80 series front axles to bend. If the truck has been abused it's a likely factor.

The only adjustment is toe as most know, but the other alignment factors can be corrected. The best place to take it is a truck aligning place because they know how to deal with it. They can also straighten the axle if it's bent. But be prepared to part with alot of cash.

IF you can eliminate brake drag from the equation then it only leaves alignment.

Hardly. Worn steering, suspension, or axle parts can all cause a pull.

My money is one a loose wheel bearing even though they were done not that long ago.

How tight across the board does the front end feel? Anything feel just a bit loose or jumpy? Have you done all of the front end checks to determine if you have worn/loose trunion or wheel bearings? These things are free and if you are getting any movement at all it's maintenance time.

wheel bearing....see my thread for what CAN happen if you don't service :)

I gave it a quick once over, and this is what the findings are so far:

Tire pressure with in 1/2 #
TRE's are OEM with 5k on them and solid.
Brakes are free an silent

The wheel bearings are new and they seem solid when given the " grab the tire and try to get movement out of it " test . Im ASSuming like that with most wheel set up's you should be able to detect the play by tire/wheel play?

Im going to swap tires (5k since new) and see what happens.

Thanks,
ken

A bad toe adjustment/TRE won't cause a pull. It will cause tire wear and/or wandering.

If the caliper was dragging that much, you'd probably smell burning brakes.

Bad camber can cause a pull, but the only way for the camber to be out is a bent axle or a bad bearing, either wheel or trunnion. I've never personally seen a bent 80 axle that wasn't in an accident, and the trunnion bearings are pretty hard to screw up the installation of. So if you have new trunnion bearings from your recent axle service, you probably have a loose wheel bearing- and the fact that you recently did the bearings adds more likelyhood of them being loose as they have a tendency to get loose if not set properly.

The easy test is to raise the front axle and wiggle the tire side to side, and up and down. Any play in either direction means you'll be pulling the hub apart. If the play is only evident up and down it's likely you'll be taking the knuckle off as well to replace the trunnion bearings you thought were OK.

-Spike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom