1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cruiser Pats in Chicago? For 2F

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Gr8Pmkn, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Gr8Pmkn

Gr8Pmkn

I was wondering if anyone in the Chicago area has had any luck getting parts for their older Cruiser locally either at a parts store or dealer and if so where? I am in need of a gasket/seal kit for the transmission & transfer case on my '76 FJ40. I know I can order them online, but was hoping to tear into it this weekend before I put the tub back on the frame and I didn't plan ahead.

Thanks in advance

2. Pete

Pete

I'm not exactly in the Chicago area, about 150 miles south in Champaign-Urbana, but I've had pretty good luck with NAPA here. I don't know if they have what you're looking for but I've gotten brake and clutch cylinders and a water pump (all Aisin factory rebuilds, Toy OEM), normal tune-up stuff like distributor cap and rotor, fuel and air filters, etc. They don't usually have this in stock but get it overnight or at least in a couple of days. I used to get parts from a local independant auto parts supplier in a day or two. Even the chain parts places (CarQuest, AutoZone, Parts America, etc) should be able to order what you need but I prefer dealing with the local motorheads at NAPA or the independants rather than someone who had a two week training course which is what I find at the chains. You might also try your local Toy dealer. You'd be surprised what they can get.

BTW, a few years ago I saw more FJ80 and 100s in Highland Park that I've seen anywhere!

Pete

3. Ming89FJ62

Ming89FJ62 I smell bacon GOLD Star SILVER Star

If there's a great parts respository in Chicago I've yet to find it. I rely on Cruiser Dan at American Toyota in ABQ for a lot of my "new" and OEM requirements as well as SOR, man-a-fre and some others. cruiserparts.net and classiccruisers.com are my sources for used parts as well as trading (cruiser karma) with others on the board. I've tried dealers in both Schaumburg and Crystal Lake and neither stock much for the older trucks - even the regional warehouse in Aurora isn't much help it seems that most of my dealer purchases are shiped in from Kalifornia.

I can't sing enough praise for using Cruiser Dan - he's one of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to parts for Cruisers and can come up w/ some replacments that cross series occasionally.

Good luck w/ finding the parts and getting the cruiser back on the road.

Harry

4. Gr8Pmkn

Gr8Pmkn

Thanks, that is what I was afraid of with regard to locally. I don't even think the parts guy at Northbrook Toyota knew what a FJ40 was. I'll just tear into the engine for now and order from one of the vendors you mentioned. I've never dealt with Cruizer Dan but will give him a go. Thanks again.

5. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:

This will be a dealer or Land Cruiser specific shop only piece...

Good luck!

-Steve

6. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    good luck finding a dealer that knows what an older land cruiser is ( the one in st. chuck didn't know when i was out there) . and if they have one, bow down and worship them. you can buy gasket material, and make your own gaskets, but then you've got the issue of seals which even a good shop probably won't stock

7. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    MN is a long drive for gaskets and seals.... ;)

:beer:

8. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    roadtrips can be fun though :D i often would take off with my best friend to run to lynchburg, tn, get some jack daniel's raisin icecream and head back to chitown.

9. Gr8Pmkn

Gr8Pmkn

You are right it is still the same in spite of the cost of petrol, the carpool lane at my son's elementary school looks like a Toyota / Lexus Cruiser dealership. Now the 80's are scarce, and the selection consists mostly of 100's & Lexi - LX's & GX's. You'd be amazed, on the rare occasion you can even see one without Armor All'd tires and maybe even rain spots. My wife's '99 stands out a little with 285 Revo Dueller ATs. I've been trying for a couple of years to get her to allow me to put on some ARB or similar bumpers and maybe a "slight" lift. She says I have my 40 & the LuxoCruiser is hers.:doh:

Lee

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">