Cruiser neophyte (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.havasubarney.com
New to the board. Great place yall got here. :)

I think I finally talked my friend into selling me his 91 FJ80 (he's gonna upgrade to a 93+).

It's got 210K (some trail riding miles) and has an ARB locker in the back, ARB bumper, plus some parts have been replaced like dist. and injectors. The motor compression tests out pretty good.
The bad is I heard a pop from the front so the birfields are probably about to go, the interior (cloth) is kinda ratty, and the steering has a good bit of play in it. Basically it needs a bit of work to get back into respectable shape.
We're still decided on price, and he wants to give me a good deal- so I was kinda thinking 3.5 to 4k??
One of the first things I'd like to do is replace the carpet. Anybody know of a good source for that?

Since it has over 200K- I'd like to go ahead and start planning and collecting for a drivetrain overhaul around 250K or so.
While I'm there I'd like to give this thing the 200 or more horsepower it should have. (I tow a 2000# boat on weekends).
I searched the site for a while and couldn't find anything but I'm sure the question has been asked about 10001 times, so sorry for the repetition.
Sounds like getting more out of the 3-FE is expensive.
Swapping in the V6 is even more expensive.
Maybe a Camaro V8?? I dunno. ???
I tend to wrench my own stuff unless $pecial tools/machinery is required.

I'll appreciate any advice.

Looks like a good possibility. If you take your time...

Thanks.

Looks like I'm gonna get it.

The carpet in this thing needs to go. Looks like some experimental cultures are growing under the seat.

I've got some more questions- If I get annoying just lemme know.

The brake pedal seems to require higher than average force for a hard stop and engages kinda low compared the height of the accelarator pedal. Brakes seem to work OK except for being a touch weak. Any ideas?

I'll usually take manual transmission whenever possible. I loved my manual Bronco before it died. Has anyone swapped one in?

Has anyone tried force induction with the 3-FE?

Can the V6 be mated to the existing tranny or do I need a 93-94 tranny to do a swap.

I'd like to stay toyota power if practical. The 350vortec in my work chevy took a dump last night from coolant getting mixed with the oil. Why they have a plastic intake, I dunno. Anyway- looks the the v8 conversion deal takes a lot of effort if it's gonna be reliable.

Kinda want to figure out which way I'm gonna go in the future so I can start hoarding parts now.

Thanks

If power is your game and you don't want a motor swap, then pass on the '91. Look for a fzj80 and install a supercharger.

$4,000 for the truck and another $4,500 for an engine swap plus new carpetting. You're out of your mind! Just go out and buy a 93~97 with lockers and save yourself some heartache and cash. It's almost always cheaper to buy what you want up front than to buy less and make up the difference.

I see your points, but since the work truck died I had to do something now. There was a 93 in my price range but it has just as many miles and it got gone in a hurry. All the others within 300 miles were 12k+.
The other way I'm looking at it is I'm gonna get by until the motor or tranny are about to go. Instead of just rebuilding, I'd like to have something ready to go but why not do something about the power while I'm there.
If the v6 will bolt up, I'll start looking for a good deal on one in the mean time.
Projects are fun right?

Boat project is almost over- need another one.

post-5-1061137596.jpg

90% of people don't like the 3F-E and I don't fully understand why. If one wants a tow rig buy a Dodge w/ Cummins, if you want speed you'd buy a car. It think it's a great engine, but I'm a little biased. You can much more cheaply and easily mount a manual tranny to it for one. Ben Swain (was it he?) I believe turboed a 3F-E with suprising results. The 3F-E just isn't a HP engine, never really will be, but it will run forever; it has it's quirks, but nothing as much so IMHO as the 1FZ-FE. You should after purchase join the 3F-E group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3fe

You won't be able to eek much power out of the 3F-E but a common upgrade is a larger exhaust system. I don't personally know of anyone who has supercharged one, but it would be great mod and would be highly respected should it work as good as it sounds.

Hope to see you on the 3FE board. :beer:

[quote author=Sorry Dog link=board=2;threadid=5621;start=msg44808#msg44808 date=1064510938]
If the v6 will bolt up, I'll start looking for a good deal on one in the mean time.
Projects are fun right?
[/quote]

Don't know for sure, but can't imagine you'd be real happy with a V6 in an 80. Don't know of any that really bolt-up either.

I'd be real interested in knowing about somebody else's turbo 3-FE project- At very least because of curiosity. I would think turbo is better way to go.
(Some folks with Mk1 Mr2's like to run both (twincharge).

BTW- I'm what200 on the 3-FE board. I've had to help my friend out with this truck quite a few times.
sinkingthelandcruiser.jpg

My two cents. Skip the V6 thought. For this size rig, no way. V6 are just not low torque engines unlike I6's.

Yomama

[quote author=Sorry Dog link=board=2;threadid=5621;start=msg44808#msg44808 date=1064510938]
The other way I'm looking at it is I'm gonna get by until the motor or tranny are about to go.
[/quote]

Others would better be able to comment but depending on the current condition of the motor it could be quite a while before that happens. Personally I've thought right along that at some point somebody will make an adapter for the Iforce V8. Especially as the Tundras population ages and wrecks become more prevelant. Now that would be a nice swap. :D

Jeff Jones has already done the legwork on a SBC swap in a fj80. I would just follow his lead and do that swap with stock A440F tranny. It's a good match for the rig, power wise. His swap looked nice, too.

If you end up buying the rig, fix the oil plug in the head pronto. Others with the 3FE can enlighten you.

Well... if someone has a V8 I could borrow for a while :D, I'll get my fab shop man on the horn and get to work.

I'll give it back later... Someday...

Actually, with my lead foot and the normal duration of my project planning, I better start now.

[quote author=Sorry Dog link=board=2;threadid=5621;start=msg44853#msg44853 date=1064517700]
turbo 3-FE project- At very least because of curiosity
[/quote]

I don't know how well the ECU handles boost, but with the two exhaust manifolds that the 3F-E has, it'd be fun to put dual turbos on each, though the air line'd be a :-X to route as the 3F true to form has its exhaust on the same side as the intake. Even with a very small MR2 turbo (should the gate itself not restrict too much exhaust) would be interesting to see how well it performed.

Do it, do it! :D I'm eager to hear. Don't do the V8 route. Stick it factory to every detail.

I was crawling around the engine bay yesterday wondering how it could be done. Your right that the plumbing would be a real bitch. I'd be worried that the factory manifold couldn't take the heat as well as not being far enough off the block to squeeze a turbo in. ...All that room on the left side and Toyota decides to cram everything in on the right... if it's been done, I wonder if they fabbed a manifold.
Staying with the factory ECU would be a struggle. I think an aftermarket (SDS is supposed to be good) coil on plugdeal with pyro's would be money well spent on tuning day. Then we probably need supra injectors, supra fuel pump, etc...
Maybe the V8 option is cheaper.

...anyway- just thinking aloud.

Any ideas on new carpet?

The motor started to run a bit hot in traffic the other day. When I got moving again it cooled back off so it doesn't seem like a h2o pump. Radiator is relatively new. Maybe clutch fan? Has anyone installed an extra electric fan on one side?

Any help yall can give me with this old bird will be appreciated.

Dog,
heres my two cents in the heating issue. first change out the coupling if I recall around 100 bucks and a pretty easy job. next up though I would put the oem belts on if they are not already. I am not an oem elitist( no offense to those who are) but my 92 had am belts and I continually fought with overheat. since I changed the belts have had no such issues.
knocking on wood.
Dave

I'll do the coupling next chance I get, but I got something new to worry about.

Last night I turned it off, and came back out and the motor wouldn't fire off -all I got was a couple of sputters (starter does turns over). I let it cool down - 2 hours later started fine and ran as usual.
This morning did OK - went to lunch - came back out and same thing except after waiting 2 hours it still didn't work. I poured a bit of gas down the intake it ran for few secs.
I guess it could be either one of a bunch of potentially things wrong with the FI or associated wiring or it's the fuel pump.
Is it a difficult job to drop the fuel tank on one of these?

Thanks
Hunter

Standard EFI relay defect showing itself. Go here for the fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom