Cruiser Needs New Shoes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well the time has finally come. My MTR's are down to minimal usable tread. It only took a little over 4 years and about 50,000 miles. I thought I would get some opinions on some of the new rubber I was considering.

Swamper TSL Radial 36 x 12.5
Swamper Trxus 35 x 12.5
ProComp Xtreme M/T 315/75/16

For the record I did not care for my MTR's. They offered little in the way of traction in anything but the driest conditions. Anything wet, muddy, rooty, or loose and these things would choke. Just wondering if anyone had anything to say about any of these. I know a couple of you have used/currently use the Trxus and like them. I heard it may take a lot to get these balanced. I am intrigued by the TSL radial. Gives me a little larger tire and likely some nice performance. I'm not sure about wear/road manners. I've never personally known anyone that runs these. The ProComp is fairly new and made by Cooper. Supposedly a decent tire, but it resembles my current MTR tread pattern and leaves me wondering how well it will perform offroad. Its probably going to be the most behaved on the road.

Overall, I'd like to get at least 30,000 miles out of the tire. Noise isn't really a concern. I've been ridding on M/T's for the past 7 yrs. I kinda like the hum. Just need them to track straight and wear even. Well thanks for letting me think out loud. Any thoughts are welcomed.

If you thought the MTRs sucked offroad, then you wont be happy with the Trxus or Xtreme MT....go for the TSL. I wouldn't get the radial though, go for the classic bias ply, the added sidewall strength and better offroad manners are worth the loss in street performance, but hell you're getting swampers do you really think they are gonna ride nice?

Of course, tire choice depends on how you drive your truck. I assume if you want 30k out of the tires, this is your dd. Not sure what conditions you are looking at, but assume you are sold on an aggressive mud tire.

I don't have experience with these exact tires, but have experience with most BFG's and had a set of 33x15.50x15 TSL SX's on a 4Runner years ago. Like Alkaline said, if you are thinking swampers, forget about road ride. They can be so far out of round that they cannot be balanced. I had to exchange a swamper because it had horrible vibration on the highway. Of course the swampers have aggressive traction and are tough (especially sidewalls). Swampers are good tires for trucks that are trailered, not dd.

If you didn't like the MTR's why not switch to BFG MT's? The BFG's have a good ride and good traction (better than AT, but not as good as swamper). Plus, they wear well and aren't outrageously priced.

Buddy of mine really like his radial TSLs, but you will not likely get 30k out of them, well bias plys are closer to 20k is what I have seen over the years. Maybe the radial has tougher rubber too/ gets more miles.

Traction wise, we KNOW the TSL pattern is the best offroad, I have run about 5 patterns offroad (MTR, BFG AT & MT, Firestone Dueler and TSL) and TSL is THE offroad tire bar none.

However, the best compromise tire has been the BFG M/Ts. I am running MTRS now because I got a great deal from here on them, but my next set will be the 315s in the NEW BFG KM2 M/T pattern. They have even more sidewall protection (the one downfall of radials) and the new pattern is very similar to Krawlers.

You can look at the MTR vs MT vs TSL and see why one is better offroad. The more VOID there is, the better grip in the loose / muddy Carolina clay. This is because they clean out better... so just a matter of choice.

I actually like the new BFG KM2 design. It was at the top of the list. Unfortunately, as of two weeks ago nobody around here could get a hold of a set in a 16 inch. Maybe things have changed. I'll have to check it out. My last set of BFG M/T's were decent tires. I had no complaints, certainly better than the current MTR's.

The radial TSLs/Trxus/ProComps seemed to be the best options from what I could find available. This is still my DD, hence the radial choices. I was hoping that the radial swampers were going to be a little better behaved and not wear like flesh on the highway, but it sounds like that might not be the case. Good thing I asked :). Well I guess I need to go find me some backordered KM2's to try out. Thanks for the input.

TSL Radials wear pretty well, 30k if you keep air pressure in check at ALL times and rotate often is reasonable, just not a guarentee. I don't like radials because of weak sidewalls and poor ability to conform to rocks, the shape of the carcass also doesn't lend itself to good sidewall traction (many a time do you need to climb out of something with the sidewall lugs). BUT, this is a DD you say so you have to compromise. I don't like the Trxus either, just personal opinion, but I've seen a new set of them slip where worn out TSLs grip on the same exact vehicle....and the BFG MT works too well as a MT (more multi-terrain than mud when compared to Swampers). Another good option is the new radial Pitbull tires, I think it's a 35" Growler that is coming available in radial flavor, should be more than enough bite off road.

Looks like I was wrong, the new tires are polyester. Not too much of a let down though. Less flat spotting, more durable, better lateral stability and straight line tracking. MMMmmmmmmmmm...polyester plys in a 39.5 Pitbull Rocker.

For a true DD all around tire, I vote BFG M/T, or the original Pro Comp M/T[not the "extreme"=misnomer ;)]

I've run the BFG's and liked them.

I have run the Pro Comp M/T for quite some time and have been very pleased. My needs were just as you described. Good M/T's are very quiet, long lasting, and well behaved, if kept inflated and rotated properly.

I've heard trash talked about the Pro Comps, but in my experience, they've been great. I bought them at D.E.O. The guys there sell, install, use, and abuse every make and brand.....And they recommended the Pro Comps to me. They claimed they balanced better, rode smoother, lasted longer, and self cleaned better than the BFG's. I can't disagree.

I have reeaally abused my PC's too. They have seen serious swamper mud and have performed admirably. I have pictures to prove it. Yes, swamper's are better offroad. The trick to the M/T's is that you have to keep the tires SPINNING fast in the nasty stuff! It's not as much of an issue with the swamper's. Most people "pussy-foot" through a mud hole, and then complain that the M/T's won't clean out.

Personally I think the KM2's might be a slightly better rock tire, but I think it's a step back for the mud. I think BFG just needed a change in appearance to make sales. [Because they look like the Krawler's]

JMHO/.02 cents

The Pro Comps....................

a2.jpg

flip3.jpg

flip15.jpg
a2.jpg
flip3.jpg
flip15.jpg

quote "I don't like the Trxus either, just personal opinion, but I've seen a new set of them slip where worn out TSLs grip on the same exact vehicle...."

so this guy was running different tires on the same truck? :)

well ill add that the trxus are leaps and bounds above the MTR's for both road noise and traction off road. Ive had mine in the mud more than rocks but a little of both. They slipped noticeably less on the rocks at kodak and were the key factor in me being the only one to make the muddy shortcut climb to camp up in cullowhee. i love them w/ their drawback being weight to balance, no biggy im going to go half weights and half beads next time around.
The km2's look nice but id agree more of a rock tire. One i might add to your list would be the irok radials w/ the major delima being the 36'' actually measures a 37''. PM me if you want to go w/ the tsl's though as i might have a buddy w/ a set of 4 in raleigh that have never been mounted. Had i know of these at the time i might have jumped on em; but i still like my flares :)

quote "I don't like the Trxus either, just personal opinion, but I've seen a new set of them slip where worn out TSLs grip on the same exact vehicle...."

so this guy was running different tires on the same truck? :)

well ill add that the trxus are leaps and bounds above the MTR's for both road noise and traction off road. Ive had mine in the mud more than rocks but a little of both. They slipped noticeably less on the rocks at kodak and were the key factor in me being the only one to make the muddy shortcut climb to camp up in cullowhee. i love them w/ their drawback being weight to balance, no biggy im going to go half weights and half beads next time around.
The km2's look nice but id agree more of a rock tire. One i might add to your list would be the irok radials w/ the major delima being the 36'' actually measures a 37''. PM me if you want to go w/ the tsl's though as i might have a buddy w/ a set of 4 in raleigh that have never been mounted. Had i know of these at the time i might have jumped on em; but i still like my flares :)

A friend from down home went from the worn out TSL Radials I had (from Dan) to some brand new 35x12.50 Trxus MTs and couldn't crawl the same lines at URE. I got to see both tires in all conditions possible, air pressure always around 20-30. WAY better on-road, and WAY better than MTRs. But I'm used to 38.5 Bias Boggers on my DD, so streetability isn't a huge concern, so I would choose the off-road capability over streetability.

What size TSLs? Radial or Bias? I'm assuming SSR 35x12.50. I might be interested depending on price, got that rock race coming up and need some good 35" rubber.

One i might add to your list would be the irok radials w/ the major delima being the 36'' actually measures a 37''.

This is something I haven't thought about. I did some searching on the main board and it seems there are a good many people running the radial Irok on DD's without any major issues. They don't seem to be as subject to the out of round/major weight problems of which some of the other radial swampers suffer. It may just be fools gold :). You are right that the bias ply Iroks run closer to a 37 but the radial I think runs a true 36, at least according to the Interco website.

Well based on current recommendations still thinking about BFG M/T, Trxus and now the radial IroK. Thanks for the replies and alternate ideas. I won't flog this any more, just sleep on it and make a decision. Hopefully not a bad one to the tune of $250/tire :D.

I can see 20 of em where I order parts from in stock. Price would be comparable to 4wpw

(for the 315/75/16 KM2s)

But there maybe better deals out there / I setup a vendor account where I can get various parts like that. Essentially you can get at 4wpw and a few other items.

We used it to buy a bunch of stuff for my dads 46 Willys restoration.

Anyway, thought I would throw it out there if interested, not something I am pushing much since there is not much $ in it.

Sam

doh, your right, the 36'' irok radial is an actual 36'' tire. Makes me consider them even more for the next time around.

The tsl radials i mentioned were 36 x12.5's for 900 never been mounted, he might do better now. Basically they were 100 cheaper than his invoice at the time.

Trapper, have you pm'd Luke0 from raleigh. He ran the iroks and then went back because of ride. You might ask him some ?'s.

Trapper, have you pm'd Luke0 from raleigh. He ran the iroks and then went back because of ride. You might ask him some ?'s.

This makes me feel better about my final decision. I went with a set of BFG KM2's after doing a lot of back and forth with the pros and cons. Ultimately this is still my daily driver (wife, two-year-old and twins on the way :)) and based on all of the great feedback/advice the swampers weren't going to be worth the trade-off in my case.

Well I can still run a set of big, nasty, bias ply swampers on the 40 that I own in my mind :D.

I almost forgot. The tires are expected to arrive tomorrow. Of course, I will post some pics when I get them mounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom