cruiser left me stranded on the bridge! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today I was cruisin' along contemplating keeping my 62 vs selling it and buying an 80. She was running so well before the unexpected happened.
I went through the right hand side FastTrak lane getting onto the Bay Bridge heading into San Francisco and all of a sudden she just dies. No sputtering, just dies. I suspect electrical issue, so I made a quick decision and pulled off to the right, right at the new bridge entrance, phew.. in a safe spot and NOT on the bridge.

I check the EFI fuse, and yup, blow. I switch it with the spare and she starts back up. I let her run for a bit and everything seemed ok. I put in reversed to get some room for some speed. Made some room, got ready to gun it, and bam... dead again. I then reached for the phone to call AAA. Turns out CalTrans needs to town you to the city first, then you can get towed by AAA.

Long story short, does anyone have a clue whats shorting my EFI system. I got it to run, I darned myself to drive it around the block. I ended up blocking a lot of traffic, backing up down hill against rush hours traffic on a one way street back to my house in San Francisco. Ooops. It didn't fix itself.

-220k miles on orginal everything pretty much, so it could be anything.
-all fusable links all intact from what I can tell.
-HELP!

The EFI fuse also provides power to the fuel pump. Since that is the highest power draw, I would be suspicious of it. Also check the wiring to the fuel pump down below the jack to make sure something isn't shorting out there. It could also be the fuel pump itself.

oh interesting! a few weeks ago I removed the spare wheel after wrestling it out from its rusty carrier. I didn't remove the carrier or chain, they're zip tied to itself. Is i possible that it slapped something under there round the fuel pump?

Thats a great lead, as I was wondering when that was going to go. Thanks!!!

wait, just read your post more closely, you said JACK? like the thing you put under the axel housed inside the truck by the washer fluid for the rear window? If so, I have some spares shoved in there, may it be that?

Thanks for all your input!

Yes, i would double check the fuel pump wire shorting out somewhere. My mini truck had the same thing happen and sure enough, wire was shorting against metal.

thanks so much. I was about to break down and just tow it to a shop because I'm so short on time these days. had to tow it with another cruiser to move parking spots this evening to avoid a ticket for street cleaning. But now I have a week to trouble shoot her. If anyone has any specifics to what to expect and where to look exactly, like which bundle of wires is it that contains the wiring to the fuel pump?

Thanks again!

Update:

Ok, spent 20 mins trouble shooting this evening. I checked the areas we talked about in the rear cargo area. No wires crimped, torn slashed or exposed. I was kinda bummed because I thought my problem may have arrised from that area. I then attempted to put in a 10 amp fuse (thats all I have have left at this point) and went to start it to see if it would blow. It didn't. This happened to me the first day I got towed. After it cut out it worked a few fuses, but blew right away. After the tow and changed the fuse and she started right up. So I started to suspect that it had something with after the engine heating up. I remember when i changed the O2 sensors that the wires that ran to the ECU ran very close to the hot manifolds. Under closer inspection, the forward O2 sensor (the one nearest the engine), the wire casing was beginning to melt and the wires seemed to be missing a little sheathing.
So I think I found my EFI short, the O2 sensor was ground out on the hot manifold ONLY when the exhaust was hot. I think that it was only going to get worse as the casing melted more and less intermittent and just ground all the time. So we'll see I guess when I swap out a 10amp fuse for a 15 amp, get under the truck and insulate the baring wires from each other and the heat and go for a test drive! Stay tuned.

No more EFI fuses yay! But she left my wife stranded with what I suspect is a dead fuel pump. I jumped the relay and it's not starting. Ordered up a Denso from rock auto for $111 shipped!

I was just going to say...

The fuel pump is under its greatest load when climbing or accelerating and most likely to fail if the fuel pump bearings are worn. Is this a in tank fuel pump? if so, have you let the tank go almost dry in more then one occasion? fuel is a natural lubricant and cooling agent. Letting the tank go almost dry shortens the life of the pump. This could be the case in your instance.

yeah, wife likes to live on the edge when it comes to gas and the amount left in the tank. It doesn't help that the gauge doesn't work very well either. I ordered a Denso one up today for 118 shipped with filter kit and all from Rock Auto parts. They're so reasonable when it comes to Aisin/Denso parts.

Did the TB starter fluid spay yesterday to confirm that it was at least a fuel issue. She runs with starting flluid, so it's definitely is a fuel thing. I coming closer to keep her at this point because there aren't going to be too many more things to replace to make her reliable for another 100k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom