Cruiser Head (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man id kill for a freaking clock in my 60 haha. I dont want the altimeter thing, just a regular ole clock. Its wild that they didnt come with them

If my GMRS wasnt in my dash cubby/altimeter spot, it would be cool to make a bracket for the 1980s minitruck clock there.

@ChaserFJ60 Have you talked to the materials supplier about the batch size required to have a custom pigment done? For stuff like the dash bezel in particular integral color will ALWAYS be better than a color coating, which can wear off and otherwise fail over time.

Anyone have any more information on what this is in the red box? Is it an illumination for the switches?

hmmmm.png

that's a NON-USA far AWAY Illumination Shade .........
I'm having a hard time finding any listed or for-sale anywhere, I cant really even find pictures. Any idea on the model 60 it came on? Id like to recreate one for my dash when I get the time

New switch design

OEM tall skinny size spec FJ63

Will work with Chaser,s panels adapters

264BFA5E-8D4E-41FD-90CB-A4100A310D41.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Little pet project I had going on was re-configuring my Odometer to match the added miles from my speed-hut gauge. Its required that I have accurate number readings here that are true to the miles put on my truck, Nothing less. As I was disassembling my speedometer I snapped the needle.

My new SLA resin printer came in absolute clutch. I Designed, 3D printed, Installed with a first time fit a replacement needle to go into the original needle base! Im so stoked that this worked haha :steer: Its currently holding in place with a press fit, no glue is required but I'll still end up using some.
YEAHHHBOIII.jpg

The only issue is this Resin is cured in UV light, Just so happens that the sun produces alot of UV light and overexposure will cause the needle to get very very brittle over time. Im hoping a nice coat of red paint will do the trick in protecting it from the elements.

Anyone have tips on repainting the yellow km/h part? what a PITA to do.
I painted the needle red and all the others red aswell. I also adjusted the mileage to be correct,

My current progress..
View attachment 2904772
Looks pretty good to me. I would think that stuff is silkscreened, so you can try making a screen. A stencil and deftly applied One Shot sign painter's paint might work too. I'm not sure how fine your 3D printers can fabricate, but maybe you could make a stencil from that. Or... you could 3D print a piece that can be used as a stamp - like doing a woodcut print. Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Looks pretty good to me. I would think that stuff is silkscreened, so you can try making a screen. A stencil and deftly applied One Shot sign painter's paint might work too. I'm not sure how fine your 3D printers can fabricate, but maybe you could make a stencil from that. Or... you could 3D print a piece that can be used as a stamp - like doing a woodcut print. Lots of ways to skin this cat.
I painted the yellow you see on the dial but cleaned it all off again, Its hard getting a sharp line, All my paint is 15 years old so I might need some new supplys lol.

I've had good luck with StazOn brand ink. It's solvent based so it sticks to plastic and metal really well, it's not messy or runny so it tends to impart crisp lines, and it looks like silkscreened ink. If it were me I'd try to make some kind of "stamp" from art linoleum for printmaking. I used to have a small label releasing cassette tapes and I used StazOn for all the imaging on the cassette shell.

Again, you might be able to 3D print something. Maybe you could take a well-aligned photo of the gauge, convert it to black and white, and use that to start drawing up a printed file. I've also found a couple small stamp shops in town that have CNC machines that will cut a rubber stamp based on a vector or PDF file - and I've always just sent them jpgs converted to black and white. Geez, maybe I should get some made and do refurbs for folks....

@ChaserFJ60 Thinking about it more, it would be good to 3D print an alignment tool if anybody's stamping ink on gauges. Fit the alignment tool over the gauge, slot the stamp in the back, push it down straight onto the gauge face. Done.

I think a stamp would be really difficult, these lines are really thin and paint bleeding/alignment may be an issue. I think a stencil would be more reasonable, Hell, maybe even a decal over the original might work.

That StazOn ink is REALLY controlled, zero bleed. Decals might be the easy way though. I just love the look of nicely done silk screening and that ink just about nails it 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom