Cruise Moab from AZ - The long way... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheGrrrrr

GOLD Star
Threads
My dad is flying in from Illinois to ride shotgun for Cruise Moab. He has never been to Utah or seen the Grand Canyon, so we are going to do an epic drive to Moab from Scottsdale if anyone is interested in a convoy. We would leave VERY early on Tuesday April 14th and drive to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Probably hang out there for an hour or so, take some picture and then drive to Zion National Park. Spend the night at the Springhill Suites inside Zion and leave early the next morning for Moab, taking Utah’s Scenic Byway 12 and hitting Bryce Canyon National Park, Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument, and Capitol Reef National Park on our way up to I-70 to approach Moab from the north. It will be two long days of pavement but incredible views nearly the whole way.

If anyone wants to convoy, let me know.

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 10.10.23 AM.png

Last edited:
Think seriously about leaving Monday and spend a whole day at the Grand Canyon.

I would love to but unfortunately my dad is flying in Monday afternoon. I'm trying to make the most of the time that we have.

I did that same route from kanab to moab in October, definitely one of the the most scenic routes in the country. Next time I will take a few days, as we passed a lot of nice areas to camp.

My preference would be the North rim and Bryce Canyon, but do what you have time for.

Last edited:
My preference would be the North rim and Bryce Canyon, but do what you have to for.

Hwy 67 will likely be closed and I don't think the North Rim visitor center opens until May sometime.

You will definitely want to stop at Horseshoe Bend outside Page. And Glen Canyon dam.

You could take the 89A instead of 89 from Page to Kanab. A little more scenic, up higher in elevation and in the trees of Kaibab NF. Plus you can see the Vermillion Cliffs and Condor viewing on House Rock Valley Rd.

If you take the 89, there's nice bathrooms and water at the BLM visitor center in Big Water.

You could turn left at Marble Canyon, cruise the Vermilion Cliffs, hit the North Rim, then add a nice long a day on dirt via House Rock and Cottonwood Wash roads, which would plunk you not too far west of Escalante.

Oops - edit - missed the April part: North Rim and Hwy 67 are closed until May 15th.

I'd opt for the North Rim and Vermillion Cliff route myself. Or, do the South Rim as planned, but spend 5 minutes; and use the extra time to come back south via Canyonlands, visiting the overlooks at the top of Islands in the Sky, out of Moab. Much better OMG canyon views than the South Rim, IMO. And then as you are heading south, take the Needles District road for more geology that will ispire awe.

Granted, the Grand Canyon is pretty awesome by itself, but an hour in the park will not get you to anything interesting - a few car pull outs, and you'll be heading the wrong way to get the best views. Canyonlands is less crowded, and the views are quite stunning. Not the mile deep canyon, but from Islands you are quite a ways up, and the Green River vistas will have you coming back for more. And the views toward the Colorado are no slouches, either.

Alternative option:

you didn't say how many days you plan between Grand Canyon and Moab, but there's just no way you'd complete Zion to Maob in a day without MISSING everything because you won't have time to stopto take in all the sights - I'd reduce the driving/day and enjoy more of the scenery and take pics

Canyonlands is indeed amazing, and has the added bonus of offering Shafer Trail as a very scenic dirt trail that's entirely doable with an unmodified rig

and maybe you'd be in less of a hurry by driving more-or-less straight to Moab on Tuesday, enjoy Cruise Moab, and then take the next week for the National Parks on the way back :idea:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom