Events/Trails Cruise Moab 2021 April 12-17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@sdnative what's your thought on this possible run??? What's your tentative game plan??

@sdnative what's your thought on this possible run??? What's your tentative game plan??

I am not able to check availability on Recreation.gov, all the campsites are grayed out (unavailable), even though the NPS website says Canyonlands is open. Probably an issue with the Recreation.gov website as I have always seen some of the less desirable campsites towards the ends available, even last minute. I tried calling the NPS office but haven't been able to speak with anyone. This close to the CM date I would expect the good sites and everything is the middle of the loop to be gone, maybe some are still available towards the ends. While the White Rim can be done in a day without an overnight permit, it's not enjoyable. If I went I would like to have a reservation in advance. I'll keep trying.

No game plan yet, just itching to get out and back to the area.

OK figured it out with the help of a really nice park ranger.

Looks like only availability is Apr 1-2 and then nothing until early June. So nothing during the CM week.

I am not able to check availability on Recreation.gov, all the campsites are grayed out (unavailable), even though the NPS website says Canyonlands is open. Probably an issue with the Recreation.gov website as I have always seen some of the less desirable campsites towards the ends available, even last minute. I tried calling the NPS office but haven't been able to speak with anyone. This close to the CM date I would expect the good sites and everything is the middle of the loop to be gone, maybe some are still available towards the ends. While the White Rim can be done in a day without an overnight permit, it's not enjoyable. If I went I would like to have a reservation in advance. I'll keep trying.

No game plan yet, just itching to get out and back to the area.
Lurking quietly.
OK figured it out with the help of a really nice park ranger.

Looks like only availability is Apr 1-2 and then nothing until early June. So nothing during the CM week.
Lots of other options depending on need to be close to Moab central

Reactions: KTP
Lots of other options depending on need to be close to Moab central

In general yes. The White Rim road is 100 miles with no entry or exit point other than the ends. You will need to reserve one of the campsites along the road unless you want to drive it straight through (which makes for a very long day).

In general yes. The White Rim road is 100 miles with no entry or exit point other than the ends. You will need to reserve one of the campsites along the road unless you want to drive it straight through (which makes for a very long day).
Isn't there a free first come campground close to the intersection of Long Valley and end of Schafer switchbacks? Probably crazy full?

Isn't there a free first come campground close to the intersection of Long Valley and end of Schafer switchbacks? Probably crazy full?

Not sure.

Sand Flats currently has availability at the group sites or there are numerous other unimproved non-reserved sites to camp.
Kane Creek has a lot of unreserved sites as long a the group is not to large.
I don't think finding camping will be an issue. Worst case scenario, you just go a little further from town.
As long as we are in BLM or NF, it should not be an issue.

So at the moment @chap79 , @KTP and ourselves have camping reservations at Slickrock RV camp. I don't have any info on the primitive camping but is someone wants to share it we can discuss it.

IMHO, it is nice to take a few days to get there and a few days to get home. What days are you actually in MOAB?
Here is a possible itinerary that I will likely take and can meet you in MOAB if you are driving directly there and back.

1st Day: Departure and drive to Toquerville Falls and camp for the night along the river.
2nd Day: Drive thru Zion (stop and check it out, get jersey at Zion cycles – maybe hike Angles Landing) and head to Grand Canyon North Rim and camp for the night. I have an awesome camp site, views are spectacular.
3rd Day: Backtrack to Hwy 89, drive thru Bryce and drive thru Escalante to Moab. This is a must do drive if you have never done this route. MOAB night run is an option 😊 Fins n Things is always good at night.
4th - ???: Spend as many days in MOAB as time allows? There are many cool days runs from any of the local camping areas.
6th Day: Options, bomb it home if out of time, or take the southern route and camp in Monument Valley.
7th Day: Drive home…

Can always be modified due to time constraints, obviously the more time the better…

IMHO, it is nice to take a few days to get there and a few days to get home. What days are you actually in MOAB?
Here is a possible itinerary that I will likely take and can meet you in MOAB if you are driving directly there and back.

1st Day: Departure and drive to Toquerville Falls and camp for the night along the river.
2nd Day: Drive thru Zion (stop and check it out, get jersey at Zion cycles – maybe hike Angles Landing) and head to Grand Canyon North Rim and camp for the night. I have an awesome camp site, views are spectacular.
3rd Day: Backtrack to Hwy 89, drive thru Bryce and drive thru Escalante to Moab. This is a must do drive if you have never done this route. MOAB night run is an option 😊 Fins n Things is always good at night.
4th - ???: Spend as many days in MOAB as time allows? There are many cool days runs from any of the local camping areas.
6th Day: Options, bomb it home if out of time, or take the southern route and camp in Monument Valley.

Can always be modified due to time constraints, obviously the more time the better…
Camping in MV might be iffy as the actual Tribal park is closed, an option would be Valley of the Gods? I concur on Moab not being an end all and there is a chit load to see getting there and back.

I like it! That would be awesome. Watching with interest.

Are you officially signing up for CM or going Wildcat? Hard to swallow the $200 fee without the full experience.

3rd Day - if you want to stay on the dirt and don't need to visit Bryce proper, you could take Cottonwood Canyon Rd from 89 to 12 and stay in Kodachrome Basin SP. Nice campground, nice hot showers.

MOAB - White Rim campsites are booked now, but that may be a possibility if something opens up.

6th Day - camp at Muley Point top of Moki Dugway? Although it's a long drive from here to San Diego in one day.

Not sure how many trails I could do in Moab in the 200, but could stay on the bunny slopes and/or do some hiking in Arches.

Last edited:
Camping in MV might be iffy as the actual Tribal park is closed, an option would be Valley of the Gods? I concur on Moab not being an end all and there is a chit load to see getting there and back.
yes i agree that Valley of the Gods is a great place to camp. i actually consider it to be part of MV, but maybe i don't know my geography very well...

I like it! That would be awesome. Watching with interest.

Are you officially signing up for CM or going Wildcat? Hard to swallow the $200 fee without the full experience.

3rd Day - if you want to stay on the dirt and don't need to visit Bryce proper, you could take Cottonwood Canyon Rd from 89 to 12 and stay in Kodachrome Basin SP. Nice campground, nice hot showers.

MOAB - White Rim campsites are booked now, but that may be a possibility if something opens up.

6th Day - camp at Muley Point top of Moki Dugway? Although it's a long drive from here to San Diego in one day.

Not sure how many trails I could do in Moab in the 200, but could stay on the bunny slopes and/or do some hiking in Arches.
i'm not signing up for CM.
i like the Cottonwood Canyon option. let me check that out on the webs.
i believe primitative camping can be found but a big group does make it more difficult. Sand Flats does have group spots now if we want to pulll the trigger. just need to know exact days which requires firming up the internary and group size. i'm very flexible.
you have plenty of amazing trails you can do in the 200. the last time i was there (2 or 3 years ago) i was with a buddy in a slightly modded 4R and we just did trails that suited his rig.
i will dig out our past trail list and post it up.

I need to check with the family, work, school, etc. Will do that asap.

Depending on where you are starting you can take Skutumpah Rd (BLM 500) from Kanab / Glendale to Cannonville, or Cottonwood Canyon Rd from 89 to Cannonville. IMO Cottonwood Canyon is better if you are just driving, and is beautiful. If poping out the backside of Zion, Skutumpah is closer, but I think it's worth it to head south to Kanab then over on the 89 to Cottonwood.

in your 200, you will able to do, among other trails:
Fins n Things (which is in the Sand Flats Camp area)
Hells Revenge (all of the difficult obstacles have bypasses)
Sevenmile Rim
Arches (enter on the back road - avoid the pavement)
Chicken Corners
Dome Plateau
Elephant Hill
Porcupine Rim
...just to name a few.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom