Cruise Control intermittent HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So you know I've got this new-to-me JDM HDJ-81. Its cruise control (known as "A/D" on the dash) works very intermittently. I prefer to use cruise control whenever the road permits. I've checked all fuses under hood and in cab. Today I tried to engage cruise numerous times, I'd almost completely given up on it, and then after about the tenth try it surprisingly worked and continued to until I shut it down. I later went out in it again and the cruise control wouldn't work. What gives?
More info: When I depress the end of the set lever on the column the dash illuminates "A/D", so that's not the problem. It just won't (often) engage/take throttle control when I pull down to set speed. When it does engage it cancels as normal by pulling back on the lever, or accelerating when I push upward, etc.

Could be the stalk itself is a bit gunked up, or could be something as simple as the speed sensor/signal. The FSM should have a test procedure for your year-module and help with diagnostics.

Pull the plastic cover off the unit under the hood along the driver's side (RHD) fender, and give it a good working over to make sure there's no buildup of gunk on the cables or linkages.

Mine works fine, but won't always "resume" and needs to have the target set again after pulling the lever to cancel, or hitting the brake to cancel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom