Cruise Control failure not found in diagnostic section of FSM (1996 version) (update from ride home...its intermittent..O F Me!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is what it’s doing:

From ignition ”on” and running, cruise control functions completely normal.

If canceled with the brake pedal RES and SET continue to function as normal.

If canceled by turning the Cruise Control system off with the ON-OFF button the system can be turned back ON and function as normal.

If canceled with the “cancel” motion of the stalk, cruise control is dead. The light on the dash is
“on” but there is zero functionality of the RES and SET. Turning the Cruise Control OFF (no light on dash) and then ON (light on dash) with the button on the stalk doesn’t reactive the RES and SET mode functions.

The ignition must be turned off (no Voltage light) and the vehicle restarted to reset the functions of the stalk. Cruise can then be turned ON and SET and RES work as desired, unless the cancel function on the stalk is used.

I’m still working my way through the Diagnostics - Cruise Control section of the FSM (starting on DI-284), but so far nothing has jumped out at me.

I need to test canceling the cruise by shifting to an other gear (out of D) and see if the RES and SET functions are working as normal.

Anybody else run into this problem?

Last edited:
I tested canceling the cruise by shifting to an other gear (out of D) and the RES and SET functions are working as normal.
Did the test 5 input signal check on page DI-290 in the parking lot at work. Completed steps 1-3 and the cancel switch did not turn the Cruise light on.
On the way home I accidentally "Canceled" cruise with the stalk and lo and behold it works again!
So I completed tests 1- 4 while driving and everything works fine. GRRRRrrrrr

I'm gonna go poke a jumper wire in the diagnostic box and see if a trouble code was stored. In the mean time looks like I need to get a can of De-Ox contact cleaner and start tracking plugs.

Last edited:
Found Error Code 12, Magnetic Actuator Fault.
I'm actually glad I found something. I hate it when failures are intermittent, if something is going to fail, it should have the common courtesy to just die.

Found Error Code 12, Magnetic Actuator Fault.
I'm actually glad I found something. I hate it when failures are intermittent, if something is going to fail, it should have the common courtesy to just die.
Please keep posting updates.
Mine has intermittent RES functionality. Maybe half the time it works, otherwise I have to use SET again. I can't duplicate the issue; it works when it wants to.
A real first world problem.

Mine's been doing that too for a couple years, I thought I was loosing my mind. When I cycle the cruise activation switch it works again.
There are several checks to do, but they can wait till the weekend... when its daylight again. F'ing hate the time change.

I'm also having intermittent cruise control issues since fitting it to my HZJ80 earlier this year. Pulling codes consistently gives me error code 12 when it occurs. It's on my list to investigate when I get the time. For the record, error code 12 actually indicates a problem with the safety clutch that disengages the cruise control, IE, when you tap the brake pedal. Since one time I actually had the cruise error out and "drop out" of cruise while it was in, I do believe that's where the problem is in my case. I found this thread, where someone cracked open the actuator, which was useful to get a feel for what might be involved:
I'm also wondering if it's something as simple as dried out electrolytic capacitors in the ECU. I was going to crack open the cruise control ECU and actuator and start prodding around at some point. It's a fairly simple system, should be easy enough to bench test. The real problem is the intermittent nature of the fault makes it hard to diagnose or fix. If you can't reliably reproduce a problem, it makes it hard to confidently say you've fixed it.

Never imagined using RES before.
Too much at stake.

I don't use RES either, but mainly because I'm a leadfoot, and the cruise control doesn't accelerate fast enough for my liking. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom