Cruise Control Failing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've recently noticed that the cruise control on my '13 seems to operate poorly on inclines/declines. This last weekend I was driving it through the Colorado Rockies and noticed that it did not maintain 60 mph (Which I had it set at) when I hit hills. It stayed in gear and just dropped speed. On the decline, it coasted past the speed it should have maintained (rather than engaging engine braking). However, on flatter surfaces it does great, though it's not exactly peppy on the acceleration.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going wrong, or is this typical?

Last edited:
Were you in radar mode or conventional CC?

I use mine in conventional mode all the time in Wyoming and Montana and haven't noticed this. What speed does it drop to up the hill and what speed does it go to downhill?

Or maybe you've got a 60 series and don't know it. :)

I know a dumb question but how easy to change modes? Radar to CC

When you first turn on cruise control it is in radar mode.
After turning on cruise control, push the cruise control stalk forward and hold there for about 3 seconds and, voila! Cruise mode is switched out of radar mode and into normal cruise control mode.

HTH

I've recently noticed that the cruise control on my '13 seems to operate poorly on inclines/declines. This last weekend I was driving it through the Colorado Rockies and noticed that it did not maintain 60 mph (Which I had it set at) when I hit hills. It stayed in gear and just dropped speed. On the decline, it coasted past the speed it should have maintained (rather than engaging engine braking). However, on flatter surfaces it does great, though it's not exactly peppy on the acceleration.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going wrong, or is this typical?

I also have a 2013 LC200 and what you are describing sounds pretty typical for Colorado-sized mountains. I drive up and down mountains like this most days and that is why I always use ECT Power mode, Sport mode on the shifter and normal cruise control - not radar cruise control. In most cases, shifts up and down are OK, but on a steeper uphill or downhill when I see the speed changing more than I'd like, I just pop the shifter up or down a gear to control the speed better. The auto transmission always locks up when in 4th gear, so if I am in a "dynamic" uphill and downhill situation, I usually just put the transmission in 4th to maintain a more constant speed and limit transmission slippage.

HTH

My ‘13 LX does the same thing. Therefore I don’t use cruse control through the mountains.

downshifting while going downhill will save your brakes too. It's a fine art, but once mastered, it's a beautiful thing.

Sounds like how my radar cruise works.

I know a dumb question but how easy to change modes? Radar to CC

RTFM.

I'm sorry to be a jerk, but these sorts of questions are easily answered by reading your owner's manual. If you have a hard time finding it in your hard copy owner's manual, you can search the PDF online. All Toyota and Lexus manuals are easily found online using a simple Google search.

It took me less than 2 minutes to find this for the 2014 LX:

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 1.27.57 PM.png

Last edited:
RTFM.

I'm sorry to be a jerk, but these sorts of questions are easily answered by reading your owner's manual. If you have a hard time finding it in your hard copy owner's manual, you can search the PDF online. All Toyota and Lexus manuals are easily found online using a simple Google search.

It took me less than 2 minutes to find this for the 2014 LX:

View attachment 2408580

So... Other than the attitude, how is your answer materially different from the answer I posted yesterday?

RTFT (substituting "Thread" for "Manual")

Just sayin'

So... Other than the attitude, how is your answer materially different from the answer I posted yesterday?

RTFT (substituting "Thread" for "Manual")

You gave him the answer to his question. I gave him the means to answer this and future questions for himself by pointing out that 1) the owner's manual has the necessary information and 2) how to find an electronic copy of the owner's manual.

@M1911 you are a badass and yes to the manual but was near it so asked the question.

Keep cruising on the beach!!!

@gaijin thank you for the answer...and your posts on Mud...reminds of why I still come back to the site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom