Cruise Control diagnostics 1994 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The CC was not working when I got my rig, As a disabled veteran, I can use it since every trip to desert stratus with a 120 mile trip on the toll way.

THE SYMPTOMS: pushing the on button the green cruise lamp in the instrument cluster to light on, pushing the set button will give you 5 quick flashes and it will die. The only way to get the cruise lamp on again is shut down and restart the engine.

I ordered a CC unit from a mud member and replaced it but no luck.

So I was looking for a professional to look at it every one refused :(

I read the FMS (Enclosed) the 5 flashes is a CC ECU fatal error and there is a code stored, I pulled the code and got 12.

cc94.jpg

Googled the web and MUD for info found many threads with this in driver seat diagnostics
A. Turn the ignition switch on.
B. Turn the control switch to SET/Coast position, and keep it there.
C.Push the main switch ON.
D.check that the indicator light "CRUISE" lights-up in the
combination meter.
E.Turn the SET/Coast switch off
F.Meet the conditions listed in the table below.
G. Read the diagnostic code on the cruise control indicator light.
.................................................. ................
#1 Turn the control switch to SET/Coast position
there should be two flashes and then a second break and then two
flashes, then break then two flashes etc. If you get the flashes your
SET/Coast circuit is normal.
#2 Turn the control switch to RES/ACC possition.
this time you get a pause and three flashes, repeated again and
again. if you get the three flashes RES/ACC circuit is ok.
#3 Each switch is turned on
a. Control switch to CANCEL.
b. Stop light switch, (step on brake)
c. parking brake switch. ( pull up parking brake)
d.Neutral start switch. ( put in neutral)
if when you test each of the 4 cancel switches you DO NOT get any
flashes then those switchs are normal.
THIS IS YOU, And now you have to leave the driveway.
#4 Two parts for speed sensor
A. Drive at 25mph or below. if there are NO flashes sensor is normal.
b. Drive at 25mph or over. you should get constant steady blinking.
if she blinks sensor is ok.

With one MUD member @CJF trying to help people on many threads manly 1991 this did not work for many people because it is not the correct procedure for FZJ80

cc1.jpg
cc2.jpg

there are some mistakes in the FMS numbring of the test but the instructions are much clearer then the old text on MUD

I have now two problems one is general meny threads on MUD start with I have a problem but OP dosent come back after to tell us if it was fixed or what?

The second is that it passed the test totally OK, so am stuck.

Ordered stop switch and speed sensor

Attachments

• 1 Cruise_Control_System.pdf
    719.7 KB · Views: 242
The CC was not working when I got my rig, As a disabled veteran, I can use it since every trip to desert stratus with a 120 mile trip on the toll way.

THE SYMPTOMS: pushing the on button the green cruise lamp in the instrument cluster to light on, pushing the set button will give you 5 quick flashes and it will die. The only way to get the cruise lamp on again is shut down and restart the engine.

I read the FMS (Enclosed) the 5 flashes is a CC ECU fatal error and there is a code stored, I pulled the code and got 12.

View attachment 2036452

Googled the web and MUD for info found many threads with this in driver seat diagnostics
combination meter.

With one MUD member @CJF trying to help people on many threads manly 1991 this did not work for many people because it is not the correct procedure for FZJ80

View attachment 2036454View attachment 2036453

there are some mistakes in the FMS numbring of the test but the instructions are much clearer then the old text on MUD

I have now two problems one is general meny threads on MUD start with I have a problem but OP dosent come back after to tell us if it was fixed or what?

Well I am failing the 2nd test where it says set the cruise to acc and it should blink 3 times , well it's not , it only Binks 2 times .

So kinda confused what to do

View attachment 2036452

combination meter.

View attachment 2036454View attachment 2036453

Mine sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t. It used to cut out sometimes when I hit a bump. Removing the axles and putting them back seemed to improve things but not sure why. Still a bit flaky. I put it in neutral at the first light, and restart. No clue what’s going on.

I also use CC frequently in my 80 and while you are way way past the diagnostic levels I've had to get into with mine I'll share the main fixes that I've employed which also seem fairly common and possibly helpful if you haven't tried them already:
  • The main issue I've had with mine is an intermittent brake pedal switch. This switch is under the dash, contacts the brake arm and is pretty easy to get to for cleaning and/or adjustment. The problem that I saw was sometimes when I would try to set cruise control I'd just get blinking lights (I didn't count them). In those blinky light situations I would turn cruise control completely off, then bump the brake pedal lightly a few times to help the switch connect. After resetting the brake pedal switch cruise would typically work once turned back on and set. Basically the switch wasn't fully indicating that my foot was off the pedal so CC would not engage and flashed on the dash instead. After living with that for a year I adjusted the switch and I've not had an issue since. This picture is not an 80 but it shows a very similar looking switch to the one I'm talking about: https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/img_1308-jpg.1666249/
  • I also had a problem with the cruise over accelerating on hills and not keeping consistent speed after going over a hill. This was solved by taking the slack out of the CC cable on the throttle body.
  • Additionally, it's mentioned on the forum in multiple places that fully actuating the arm on the CC unit a few times can help it perform better. I pulled the cover off and rotated the cam/arm on the side of the CC unit a handful of times but didn't notice any difference.
Maybe you can look into a few basics like above and fix the problem without working through the diagnostics but I'm guessing this thread may turn into a good overview of troubleshooting the CC on an 80 so I'll be following along :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom