Cruise Conrtrol Actuator - anybody opened one up yet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My cruise has been pretty much inop since last summer - it started dropping out on the freeway whenever the engine came under a load (climbing a slight grade), and now it won't even work more than 10 seconds at low speeds on flat ground. The Cruise light stays on when I turn the system on and does not flash or generate a code.

I'm going to start troubleshooting, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone has opened up the actuator to see if it is repairable or is it a 100% throw away unit.... If I can drill out some rivets and clean it out, that would be cool.

Thanks. Oh yeah, I have the FSM and a meter, but any troubleshooting advice would be nice.

John

Did you try cycling it from stop to stop a couple times? That usually works pretty good.

The following thread has some info and the pic is of the inside of the unit installed in my '94. There isn't much if anything that one can service. I cleaned the contacts on mine and it helped but beyond that get out your checkbook.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=16558&highlight=cruise+control

That helps a lot, but in looking at the pic I just don't understand how cycling the actutator manually, as recommended elsewhere, would do anything to "clean" those contacts. It just doesn't make sense. If they were sliding contacts, like on a rheostat, yes.

Is there anything else inside that might be fixable, like the motor itself?

John

Did you try cycling it from stop to stop a couple times? That usually works pretty good.

Yep - several different times. No workee.

John

The motor may be, but as Dan mentioned it is not a field serviceable unit. You'd have to procure another unit and install the used motor. If you determine that the actuator is the problem your best bet is new $$$$ or www.Cruiserparts.net

You might try cleaning the plug connectors. Mercedes had an unusual number of cruise control computers fail, and found that the connectors were slightly corroded, causing the failure. Just a shot in the dark, but what the heck? Good luck. Ned:cheers:

I have a problem with mine in the morning. I turn on the Cruise then set speed and it flashes at me. If I turn the car off and restart it usually clears up and works properly. Sometimes it takes two restarts.

Dave

Mine is working then it cuts out then back on right a way or it cuts out all the way and doesn't work for a day or so.

Mine doesn't work at all. :flipoff2:

Oh wait, that's a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom