Crowsnest October 15th-16th (1 Viewer)

What weekend in October would you like to go?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice pictures!

Btw whose BJ70 is that?

Any vehicle carnage?

Bambino840. Pretty sweet rig! His pass side mirror was stolen by a klepto tree.

Carnage on my HJ61 was a broken antennae, bent running boards, bent exhaust, bent rear bumper, broken shear pin, and no rear brake lights anymore! :doh: I'll look into that as soon as I can.

Hopefully John will have a good write up soon.

Cheers.

Part I

Well it was 5:00 pm Friday and I was hurrying out of work to my loaded and ready to hit the road truck. I was meeting Corey (utopoo) and his brother Ryan at Gasoline Alley in Red Deer. Fueled up we hit the road heading south. We stopped in Calgary for a quick bite to eat.

IMAG0170.jpg

Realizing we were the farthest from the destination we kicked it up a notch and hammered our way down the the town of Frank. To find two 60 series and a 42. Dean was already at camp so once everyone was ready to go we headed for camp. Making our way down the trail to the camp spot at the town of Lille.

Surprisingly there were a few that stayed up into the early hours of the morning before hitting the hay. The group awoke to a frosty morning and to a cooking fire to get breakfast cooked up. Once breakfast was finished the diesels sent out a blue haze in the cool morning,

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

We had a little site seeing trip and embarrassingly my truck separated the front drive shaft while climbing the coal pile in 2wd. A quick few minutes with some wrenches and I was ready for the rest of the weekend.

Time to hit the trail. We headed for Grassy Mountain. The first climb was easy and pretty much a road but the scenery was breath taking.

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

We climbed higher and higher till we got to the top with an interesting few attempts at an optional line to get to the top made by Ryan we stopped to enjoy the view.

IMAG0193.jpg

We then pushed on to the other half of the loop. We didn't get far before Corey was under his truck tightening up some loose steering arm studs. He took the razing from some of the other members well and we were off. Heading down an unknown section of trail with just a map printed off of the loop.

IMAG0196.jpg

With a few turn arounds and dead ends and eventually saying goodbye to Charla and Tyler because they had to get back to Calgary we found the trail to complete the loop. We then had to take a few different options and trails to find our way back to the road. We were all relieved to get back to camp have some supper and relax by a nice hot fire.

IMAG0234.jpg

After an entertaining and at times comical fireworks display the stories from the day came out and the excitement for what tomorrow had in store was in the air. Everyone went to sleep earlier after a day of wheeling, getting rested for Sundays trail.

Part II

Well we awoke after an even colder night but there were few complaints as everyone was prepared for the weather. Dean and his son Adam hit the road early to get ahead of the group to drop his trailer and tow rig off in Frank.

We met up at the Fas Gas and hit the highway to the next trail head. And of course we had to turn around once because I took a wrong turn a little too soon. But eventually we got to where we needed to be and we were on the trail at about 11 am. The trail we were on was Daisy Creek. And it had some fun sections for us to enjoy.

IMAG0238.jpg

We came to a couple of challenging sections and got to test out the recovery skills of the group. We managed to all get stuck at least once on the entire trip. We also had to turn around once because I turned off in the wrong direction and hit a dead end.

IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0261.jpg

When we got to the lunch location an old air ventilation shaft we all had a quick break and look around. However I couldn't remember how to keep on the correct trail so we decided to turn around and head back the way we came. And of course we got stuck with the exception of Ryan who some how managed to make it through but suffering some body damage in doing so.

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

Ryan got a little off the line and did a nice three wheel stand for the entertainment of the group. He seemed a little uneasy but with the work of the group no issues arouse. And thanks to Dean spotting him through all was well.

IMAG0286.jpg

We got back to the road gave the trucks a quick check over unlocked the hubs and headed to the gas station to air up and fuel up for the trip home.

IMAG0289.jpg

We decided to meet in Airdre for supper at BP's and Charla rejoined to visit and have some food. We even had some extra's join the group that couldn't make the trip to visit and catch up on with what they missed out on. But with no worries as there will be plenty more trips to come. Hope all who attended enjoyed the trip and hope to see you out on the trails again soon.

:cheers:

Full set of pictures here Crowsnest October 2011

J, thanks for organizing the trip. It was great to meet you all. Would I able to get a full res set of your pictures?

Thanks,
C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom