Crossing the Verde at Childs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Crossed yesterday - crossing wide - current slow - 30"+ deep - some big rocks - semi firm bottom

35 miles of dirt later I see this:hmm:

It has been 20 years since I crossed at Child's and drove to Tangle Creek. After today I can't believe I have waited so long. Saw 1 vehicle in ~35 miles of dirt, 20 - 25 varieties of wild flowers, and some unbelievable terrain and lots of side trails to explore.
Childs crossing.jpg
crossing closed.JPG
100 at Childs.JPG

Looks awesome Phil...super interested in the route you took.
We went out on Sat looking for flowers and ran the Hasayampa box canyon and saw almost no flowers.

Looks awesome Phil...super interested in the route you took.
We went out on Sat looking for flowers and ran the Hasayampa box canyon and saw almost no flowers.

Click the KML file and it will open in Google earth (providing you have it) for my complete route.

Also have the Garmin track

Attachments

• 260ChildsCaveCreek.kml
    46.1 KB · Views: 359
Awesome!! Thanks Phil

I can't believe you took a hundy in 3 feet of water without a snorkel. :flipoff2:

I can't believe you took a hundy in 3 feet of water without a snorkel. :flipoff2:

No kidding, that almost looks like wheelin, good going for the mini van!:cheers:

in my sand rail days we did a four hundred mile loop, we started over four peaks punkin center to young to woods caynon lake . second day breakfast in srawberry , to childs cross the verde into seven springs 400 hun miles of dirt in two days:steer:

looks like the waypoint 23 is a large overlook, is it? then a steep grade after that. Is waypoint 32 where you crossed the water? Is there any way you can send me all the waypoints? instead of me going to each one and writing it down. Is this trail published? I want to do this trail sometime. How long is the trail and how long did it take you? More pictures would be cool.

Isn't that Dugas Ranch road on the west side of the Verde in Childs?

Awesome Phil, I wanna do that too, go up, cross, then take FC road to Strawberry then to Payson. Not a fan of water crossings though......:frown:

The road from 260 to FR708/Childs is very rough at the top. Looks like some ranchers had some big fun:rolleyes: when it was wet. Once you join up with the powerline road it is still rough but without the huge ruts. Lot of big hills and valleys on the entire run. In the first picture I believe we crossed all 3 of the ridges. The second picture shows how little the road is traveled.

Notice high performance solar panel:flipoff2:
FRD9-1.JPG
FRD9-2.JPG

Awesome, another road I want to take someday. :cheers:

At the meet Friday night you mentioned you were leaving directly to go camping. Thanks for the pics. Looks like a great time and nice scenery :cheers:

So is the second pic of one of the tracks you took?? It doesn't look much like a road in the pic. How did you know it was going to go through...

I like your type of off roading Phil... find a road, drive, and explore! Beautiful scenery BTW!

The road from 260 to FR708/Childs is very rough at the top. Looks like some ranchers had some big fun:rolleyes: when it was wet. Once you join up with the powerline road it is still rough but without the huge ruts. Lot of big hills and valleys on the entire run. In the first picture I believe we crossed all 3 of the ridges. The second picture shows how little the road is traveled.

Notice high performance solar panel:flipoff2:

KILLER TRIP! Crossed at Childs...awesome. I thought a 100 would drown in that.

And ya, that FH9 Powerline Road is pretty wicked at the top.

206207220_9hedB-L.jpg

Crossed yesterday - crossing wide - current slow - 30"+ deep - some big rocks - semi firm bottom

35 miles of dirt later I see this:hmm:

It has been 20 years since I crossed at Child's and drove to Tangle Creek. After today I can't believe I have waited so long. Saw 1 vehicle in ~35 miles of dirt, 20 - 25 varieties of wild flowers, and some unbelievable terrain and lots of side trails to explore.

OK, now here's the $100 question......how did you know the water was not too deep to cross? Tell the truth now. :D

OK, now here's the $100 question......how did you know the water was not too deep to cross? Tell the truth now. :D

I walk all water crossing....if I can walk it I can and will drive it. See my post on Sheep Bridge.
When I did FR212 San Francisco river solo I walked over 20 crossing. I enclosed a picture for YOUR viewing pleasure:D
MVC-697S.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom