Crossing my fingers!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.threeelementsdesigns.com
I'm leaving for a trip to visit the family for Christmas with my girlfriend on Tuesday. From Ky to Ct, then Vt, Ny, and back to Ky. Needed new tires and couldn't seem to get the Parnelli Jones' I was looking for, so I bit the bullet and ordered the 35x15.5x15 Baja Claws bias. No power steering, or radio. I guess I'll need some earplugs then. Hopefully the dog will handle the noise alright. I'm praying these aren't as bad as boggers on the road, but couldn't find any comparisons to them in my searches. Unfortunately most people that had strong opinions didn't seem to have owned them, so I figured I could give a review when I return on the 6th. These will have to last until Nitto comes out with the Mud grapplers in a real rim size. Wish me luck, the'll arrive tommorrow.

Why don't you have a cheap pair of radials to throw on for the highway driving? I know, I know. Dumb question!

[quote author=drohweder link=board=1;threadid=8920;start=msg77305#msg77305 date=1071763103]
Why don't you have a cheap pair of radials to throw on for the highway driving? I know, I know. Dumb question!
[/quote]

not that dumb ......

good luck you will need it my 36 claws were way louder and road walked more that my 37 bogger ... i'd go to sams or costco and by the cheapest A/T radials you can find for street tires and pay the big bucks for what you want when the come out

Man I know it isnt really "legal" but I use some of those little jogging headphones with my CD player on the highway, those swampers to like to sing, I think they are singing backup to the valve train noise though ;)

Ear plugs are good too. I like to stop every once in a while to stretch my legs too, take your time, enjoy the trip... know all the guys seeing you on the road wish they were in a CRUISER!

In all seriousness, I would wait for what you want and grab a used set of AT's or something. Or better yet, buy a fj80 for road trips then rock buggy your present crusier!

Poor dog :cheers:

Drew <><

If you have any trouble or need anything give me a holler I am in CT and have a decent shop. Bunch of parts ect ect Oh and i have a set of 235s mounted on 62 rims if you needem for the return trip:) they are in good shape!

Stew

Last edited:
Actually it was a question of economics. Tread life isn't great and those biggies aint cheap! Seems a logical expense upfront that would pay for itself eventually.

Oh and by the way, I am an intern which means 40K a year working 80-100 hrs/week (less than minimal hourly wage) living in California. Not to mention a pregnant wife, cruiser that gulps gas and medical school loans to the tune of 40K a year x 4 years :eek:

Trust me, I'm not farting through silk shorts over here :D Being a doctor does not mean rolling in the cash these days. I've got plenty of friends in finance that have been making good money since we graduated. I have made nothing for the past 4 years, only accruing debt :D When that first doctors paycheck finally comes I will have spent it 100x over already in loan interest!

Sorry, got a bit sidetracked there. Have a great trip Arch!!! :D

:cheers:

You going for a surgical or medical field, Dan? Sounds like you'll have a lot of catching up to do.

I have to agree with the economics of the proper tire for conditions. Having two sets up front just means a lot longer between replacements, and if you use them wrong, you are just throwing away hard earned bucks.

Medicine. Doc and Capt. in the USAF doing my ACGME residency training at Travis AFB in CA. Got a scholarship from the AF so things could have been worse but still isn't pretty!

On the topic. I am convinced that some people like to burn through tires regardless of cost. It is indeed a great feeling getting new meat on your rig. For some its a 18 month necessity and if that turns you on then a 2K trip on swampers may simply be an excuse to get that much closer to new tires:)

have a great trip.

Off topic: Completing your residency is great, but but by the time you are finished you typically end up with enough debt that it is like having a mortgage and no house. Then when you are out in the real world, you get to deal with the fun stuff, like capitation and malpractice insurance that eats into your cash flow. BTW, my in-laws are in CHAMPS and are patients at David Grant, so treat them real nice! :beer:

On Topic: Used sets of radials are pretty cheap, so there is no financial reason not to have a set of street tires as long as you have a place to store them.

Its not as lucrative as it once was. Money isn't the reason I went into medicine and it won't dictate how or where I practice. Might not go back into the "real world" for a bit. Medicine in the military has pros and cons, not experienced enough to know which way I'll go. BTW: I treat all my patients like I would wish to be treated, your family is in good hands, I have not met any real a****** docs here.

On Topic: There in lies the rub. Storage. I'd have a lot of extras if I didn't care to park IN the garage!

Smokes, I didn't mean to get you all riled up. I was just joking about the Doctor's wages. I admire you guys that are in that field. I couldn't deal with it, thats why I'm doing something else. I think the doctor I paid to go in after my kidney stone [you know what he had to go through to get it] earned his money. Well, most of it.. it was pretty expensive :-\

RB:

Not riled at all :D Feel my love for ya brother :-*! Ha! If my skin was that thin I would have thrown in the towel long ago. Just remember that big ass overinflated bill for the stone was largely admin and hospital fees. The docs are seeing less and less and the cost to cover our asses for pointless lawsuits from....you get the idea. Hell, there are union steel workers with 30 years in making more than some doctors. Go figure (no offense to you teamsters out there). You still feelin my love :D

Like I said, it isn't the money for me. But I am passionate about peoples sense of entitlement and bull s*^t class envy. :slap: lest we digress. Back to the topic.

Arch: how bout some pics of those highway radial swampers your getting :D
:cheers:

I just recieved my new MT 35x15x15 claws, and have been driving them for 24 hours. These things are awesome. Oddly, they track far better than my old baja belteds, and are far more aggresive. They balanced right up, very impressively. They make my steering feel very tight compared to before. Exactly the opposite of what I had expected. I must say though, that I'm a little dissapointed in the size of them, compared to the claimed size. That @#$@ drives me crazy. Oh well, too late now. The tires are more like 34.5x14 than what is claimed. Makes me wish I went to the 38's. I leave for my trip in 4 hrs, and will post about how well they do in the long haul. Merry Christmas.

Sheesh this reminds me of my 1400 mile trip to northern MI and back last year. I might've looked cool to everyone else, but boy did I feel the pain for many of those hours.

Cruisers are not built for long-haul highway and they let you know it!

shameless you outta try a pig, i took myself on a real nice trek when i moved to AZ from WA. state by way of alaska !!! mind you it wasnt plush like an 80, but i had a great time and it was pretty comfy.

drohweder i hear ya loud and clear, i went into construction right outta high school cause i like building stuff. just go to work and come home, no acrued debt, no college loans, i dont stand to make the income you potentially can, but i'm happy. good for all of us right, cause society needs us to fill all these positions. social class is a crock, we all scratch each others backs.

[quote author=RHINO link=board=1;threadid=8920;start=msg80499#msg80499 social class is a crock

I agree totally. Should be vehicle class with 'Cruiser people as the "supreme". I have never met people more willing to help another. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom