Cross post - Stuck in Salt Lake City. Brake issue? GX 460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Azca

If there is a harder way - I will find it...
Threads
Hi Guys,

Wrong forum but I know a lot of folks here in the 80 side also have experience with these.

I am stuck in Salt Lake at Karl Malone Toyota with my 2017 GX. Going from Phoenix to Missoula to pick up my daughter and mover her Back to AZ (sad day in more ways than one for the family) in anycase, got into SLC late last night, parked the rig on a slight incline and set the EM brakes. It was snowing on the way up but precipitation was light. Left the hotel room at 8AM for the remainder of the trip (with a planned trip to the Land Cruiser Museum now canceled, really wanted to meet CDAN) and, when accelerating up the freeway onramp, a fairly rapid knocking started from the rear end. Thought it was a separated tire due to the way it behaved and seemed out of balance. Did not want to stop on the freeway and exited the next offramp (about 3 miles) with speeds varrying between 20 and 40. The rapidity of the noise increased with speed but stopped below 20. It would return more quickly under moderate acceleration.

After stopping at the next ramp, no sign of tire damage. But, the brakes did get warm based upon the odor being offered up from the rear of the vehicle. It was more pronounced on the driver side rear but, that may have been due to wind direction. My initial thought is that the parking brake froze to the drum and separated. Seems like a stretch though.

It is on a rack now, looked at it with the tech and nothing is apparent (tires aren't off yet). The rig has 54K miles on it with new rotors and brakes 20K ago. It does not appear to be the bearings as everything is tight. Also, tech could not duplicate the noise??? Don't want to head up to Missoula and get stuck half way.

Any thoughts from the experts?

Sounds like parking brake or something in the rear brake system. You'll know soon enough. I also have a 19 GX. Curious to know what it is

Tech just spoke with me. Could not find anything but turned rotors and replaced pads. Thought the parking brake cable may have froze. Will know pretty quick as I will be on the road soon.

On the road. 30 miles, no issues. Guess it was a frozen cable after all. Half a day and a couple c notes to find out...

Argh, we just added an 18 GX to the family too, sorry to hear this and a little nervous ! Hope the rest of the trip is mechanically uneventful.

Jason

The two GX I’ve owned including my current 2020 haven’t given me so much as a squeak or a rattle. My first one was a 2016 I put 75k miles on in 3 years in disgusting Michigan and other than basic maintenance it never needed anything at all.

Has to be a one off, don’t fret fellas…

It has been a great vehicle since I owned it. The only other issue is a rattle I have at speed, think the bumper fairing is loose or perhaps the rear lights. Otherwise, a great vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom