Cross-country towing experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ramangain

Clarksonian disciple
Threads
Hi folks,

I concluded my trip towing a ~7000lbs enclosed trailer from Orlando to Eugene yesterday. I covered ~3400 miles in four days. This thread can serve as my experience, and others, about how to tackle such an event and successfully finish it.

Tow Vehicle and Prep - 01 LX470
Maintenance for my rig included a full tranny fluid exchange, fresh engine oil and filter, and resetting the AHC pressures to be as low as possible. I put my front AHC pressures at 6.7 by cranking the torsion bars a bit. I have stock rear springs, brakes, engine. Earlier this year I changed out the diff and transfer case fluids and installed a 4 pin to 4 + 7 pin trailer connector.

The trailer is a 23 year old 16x8 enclosed with a flat front (no V-nose) and weighed 2770lbs empty. I added e-Trac on the inside and installed a WiFI backup cam above the rear doors. I pointed it down as much as possible to help with backing up, so I could not see traffic behind me. The trailer is dual axle and I installed new electric brakes and bearing kits a couple of months ago.

I monitored transmission and coolant temps via Torque on my tablet via El Cheapo OBD2 BT reader.

I used a Curt Echo proportional trailer brake controller. This has it's pros and cons, more later. I kept the app open on my phone so I could access the trailer brakes separately when needed. And it was needed!

I installed some Clearview tow mirrors and external TPMS sensors too for safety.

I installed a set of Airlift airbag bladders in my rear springs. These ended up being not necessary due to the hitch I was using. One of my airbag bladders popped while west of Phoenix when it was 121F outside, according to the temp gauge. I had the airbags set at 30PSI at sea level and 90F temperature before I departed.

Note: if you use airbags bladders, check the pressure every time you stop. I didn't do this and it cost me an airbag bladder.

I used a Husky WD/AS hitch system that had 1000lb spring bars. When set up correctly, my ride height was exactly the same as without any hitch or trailer installed with the AHC in N when the trailer was fully loaded and attached.

This hitch was the sole reason I could complete the journey when one of my airbag bladders ruptured. I would have been stuck if I didn't use a proper WD/AS hitch.

Route and Journey

My route was to get on I-75N, hop on I-10W, and then I-5N. I traveled with a medium sized and small dog, and I slept at rest stops. Diet consisted of fast food (mostly), plenty of diet soda for the caffeine, The truck drank 86 or 87 octane like a Russian can drink vodka.

In the middle of nowhere TX I noticed one of my dust caps to a trailer wheel was gone. The spindle nut was working itself loose and had loosened enough that it pushed the dust cap off of the wheel. Bad! It was Saturday so I found a truck/trailer repair place in Stockton, TX. The pulled the trailer wheel and saw the grease seal had blown too. I ran to the parts store and found (probably the only) appropriate seal in town and everything got fixed. I also had them drop the hitch ball height 1" and re-grease the WD/AS bars.

After driving for 5 hours in darkness I pulled over in El Paso and noticed my trailer lights were not working. Somehow, somewhere, my Curt Echo decided to venture out on its own, and magically my trailer plug was not dragging on the road. I don't know if it was stolen at a gas station when I was taking a piss, or it popped off on its own, but it was gone. Either way, it was Saturday night, so I was going to have to continue without trailer brakes until Monday. Onwards.

Sunday my airbag popped west of Phoenix. Luckily, nothing was affected since the WD/AS hitch was doing its job brilliantly.

On Monday morning I went to a Camping World NE of Sacramento to buy a replacement Curt Echo trailer brake controller. I thought about just finishing the journey without a replacement, but I had a gut feeling NorCal and SoOR would require my truck to do some real work. I wasn't wrong. I used the trailer brakes every chance I got going down the mountain passes instead of tearing up the brakes on my rig. Without trailer brakes, it would have been a lot riskier and scarier, and mechanically rough on my rig.

I spent 80% of my time out of OD. I used the tranny temp gauge as my guide as to when I could use OD. Most inclines to get through the mountain passes required 2nd gear, and two of them required 1st.

I wirnessed max tranny temps of 217F and max coolant temps of 223F. These were on the worst inclines between Shasta and Medford.

Going 60-65mph and drafting a semi, I got 8mpg.
Going 70-75 and not drafting anyone, I got 5mpg.

So, is the LX470 a good tow vehicle? Not really. I could have gotten double the MPG with an F-250 + diesel motor and had a much easier time on the inclines in the mountains. Was I comfortable? Absolutely. The ride with the AHC was sublime on the highways.

Last edited:
I used to live in Ashland and I know that pass well going into OR north of Mt Shasta. I never monitored my temps when I was living there though, I wish I had a baseline to compare your numbers to. I’m moving back first chance I get though, beautiful country around Ashland. Sounds like you had a good drive, makes me want to hit the road! Thanks for posting.

You went across the whole country and have no pics to share?

You went across the whole country and have no pics to share?
None. This turned into a mission, rather than an adventure, before I left.

EDIT: The trailer is at least 7000lbs, probably more. Upon closer inspection, one of the axles is bowing a bit; the trailer has (2) 3500lb axles.

If anyone knows of truck scales near the Eugene, OR, area, I can get everything weighed before I unpack. I am curious how close to, or over, the edge things are.

Well, congrats. That is one hell of a trip. I'd call it mission accomplished, pretend you hit the max allowable load exactly, and give that LX a well deserved west coast spa day.

EDIT: The trailer is at least 7000lbs, probably more. Upon closer inspection, one of the axles is bowing a bit; the trailer has (2) 3500lb axles.

If anyone knows of truck scales near the Eugene, OR, area, I can get everything weighed before I unpack. I am curious how close to, or over, the edge things are.

Just weigh yourself, then pick everything up, weigh yourself with the stuff, and then subtract your weight.

Riiiiiight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom