cross country 70 series trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In a couple of weeks I will be relocating from Los Angeles to New York and to get there I will be driving my hdj70. Our planned destinations on the way are Flagstaff, Moab, Dallas, and Baton Rouge where we will be able to visit friends and family.

I was hoping the 70 series community here could recommend their favorite campsites and trails a long the way, as well as just cool places to stop. My preference is dispersed camping but every recommendation is welcome.

Ultimately we would like to make a vacation out of this trip, take our time and camp as much as possible.

In your Baton Rouge-to-New York segment, have considered running the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway followed by the Skyline Drive. Very scenic, plus hiking and opportunities to explore on foot. There is designated camping options along the way. It may not be as dispersed as you might be looking for, but it is a nice route to consider.

FYI My wife and I drove the length of the BRP and SD last month. We broke it into multiple days averaging ~130 mile/day. We enjoyed it and covering fewer miles each day for more hiking & such was the only change we will make the next time we go.

Good luck. Enjoy the trip and the quality Cruiser time that you are going to have.

Thanks Larry, that route looks beautiful. Going to factor it in, I think it will be really nice for the tail end of the trip.

Not sure how you feel about Civil War battlefields but Gettysburg, Sharpsburg, Harpers Ferry are fairly close together. Harpers Ferry abounds with kayak rentals and rafting companies. Shenandoah Valley contains several smaller battlefields. Trails in the G Washington and Jefferson National forest are not super challenging but the ones that run north along the VA-WVA border have some nice views. Actual dispersed camping too not lined up wheel to wheel with 57 ft rv’s.

Highly recommend going through the utah National parks on your way north out of Flagstaff towards moab, Bryce, Zion, that road passes by Escalante petrified forest STATE park, much smaller and less crowded that the NP in Arizona is, super cool if you like old rocks, it can be extremely hot in this area like 110+, so be prepared.

There is a cool restaurant in Boulder (Utah) can’t remember the name right now but it’s the only one….has a farm behind it where a lot of the food comes from.

Capitol reef NP is next on your way to Moab, not a whole lot to see from your vehicle here, I drove through and drove out….peach and apple orchards that will let you pick off the trees and pay by the lb are plentiful in this area….fun for kids

Getting close to moab your options are too many to list, you can enter in the back ways into canyonlands and get lost back there, which is fun if your prepared, those ohv Trail books are handy here.

Of course arches NP is a must, but it gets busy with tourists.

Off to the East of moab you can easily climb a 1000’ and get into the cooler forests for camp, got snowed on there in May/June once.

Eastward into Colorado there is a lot of Pueblo / Native American heritage to see, and of course more NP.

Also you can work your way down towards Ouray and enjoy some of the most epic driving in the country, southward towards Telluride, Silverton (ride the train, haven’t done this yet, but the kids would love it).

Plenty of stuff left between SW Colorado and Dallas.

Enjoy! It will be epic!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom