Cross bars for RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm building an off road trailer and will add a rooftop tent. I have not settled on a tent yet. Could I still build the cross bars now? If so, how many and what spacing? For design reasons I can't make them adjustable. Also how wide (thick) can each individual bar be, and how much clearance should there be above the hard top of the trailer?

Thank you

i think most people use flat stock instead of round. As for size probably need to check details of possible tents 1st to make sure there is no difference. I have an older mombasa tent and it is mounted to 1" round (yes round) tubing. Looks like we could have went bigger if need be.

I would use either existing Rhino Rack, Thule, Yeti, etc. bars or round tube. Actual flat strap will have no strength over a span that large.

As to spacing, I don't know. The one model of RTT that I'm sort of familiar with has tracks on it's underside so that it can conform to the existing bar spacing. I've no idea if that is how all of them are, or only it.

I'm building an off road trailer and will add a rooftop tent. I have not settled on a tent yet. Could I still build the cross bars now? If so, how many and what spacing? For design reasons I can't make them adjustable. Also how wide (thick) can each individual bar be, and how much clearance should there be above the hard top of the trailer?

Thank you
You need enough clearance between top of trailer and bottome of cross bars to be able to fit a wrench or ratchet to clamp down your tent.
two to four cross bars should be plenty. 1" square or round tube 1/8 wall would suffice if the span is no wider than a typical SUV.
As far as the front to back span goes, the tents do have tracks underneath to accommodate multiple different spans with infinite adjustability. you just dont want them any longer than the length of the tent. check out standard tent sizes to get an idea. should have specs on the tent manufacturers website.

I suggest this setup:

Mount these tracks to the lid: Universal Track / 1800mm(L) - by Front Runner
Get these cross bars: Alu-Cab 1250mm Load Bar Kit

Mount those cross bars to the tracks. FrontRunner has M8 flat nuts which will fit into the tracks perfectly. I have used all of the above products and they are as strong as they come. This is the most flexible, future-proof setup IMO.

Always shocks me to see what "Overland" parts cost. I'd use this instead:
McMaster-Carr
47065t681p1-i02f-digital@1x_636825739170000000.png

$31 for a 6 foot length. You will have to drill and counter-sink the mounting screw holes, but then you get to choose where they are rather than having to conform to where the mfg put the holes. Uses std. 80/20 fasteners like these: McMaster-Carr
47065T215p1-h03a-digitall@1x_636583751635590000.png

Search "80/20" both at McMaster and in general to see what the various connection options are.

Thank you

Turned out simple: 1 1/2" heavy wall aluminum tube. Still putting in the end caps. Super deal at local metal supply, about a buck a foot.

01KXL061606_Ruggedized_Series_Kukenam_4_Expedition_Orange_Roof_Top_Tent_FRONT_1000x.jpg

20190518_160756.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom