Crockpot Update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As some of you know I was having an overheating issue with the Crockpot. I had assumed that the problem was the head gasket but alas it is not! Well, at least I'm pretty sure it's not. Symptoms were overheating at highway speeds, no visible leaks, no milkshake, no visible oil in coolant but coolant turned dark after first overheat and one cylinder down on compression. I spent some time with the rig over the last few days...adjusted the valves, performed a flush and changed the thermostat to OEM. I believe the non-factory thermostat must have been sticking, although it passed the boiling water test. The rig seems to be holding temperature very well now and the latest compression test confirms the valve adjustment brought the bad cylinder back in line with the others. Truck is running pretty good at the moment. Today is the third day I've driven it to work this week and not a single issue. Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I really appreciate y'all!

Awesome news :D Good work troubleshooting Dave! Ended up being a relative cheap fix to what you thought was an expensive problem!

It truly is amazing what a couple little adjustments will do. Most folks avoid adjusting the valves because it is tedious and a little time consuming but it makes such a big difference. Good Job!!!

This reminds me i'm coming up on 15k and need to adjust again..... good on you for finding the problem Dave..... see you sunday

Great, now all you need is a SM465 to go in it :D I'm really ready to make a good deal to move this thing.

:beer: Ramon

You still got that thing? I figured it was gone by now. I wouldn't mind having it but if I were going to the trouble I'd put it behind a stronger engine than what's in the truck now. I need to talk to you some more some time about the Dozer engine. I meant to catch you at LR but you were busy with food. I pulled some bearings and found what might be some possible issues. Not knowing these engines very well I need some honest
opinions. Let's talk.

Happy to chat, but I all I can tell you about the bottom end of that motor is that it has never been opened up before you had it other than for an oil pan gasket. I didn't pall a bearing cap, because I had no reason to.

Truck had ~70k on it when I bought it from the original owner in '95. Since then, it has had normal regular maintenance, good oil and filter changes, and only a slight oil week at the timing cover, side gasket, and rear main. I always kept it topped off, but it didn't use any oil and those leaks never took more than a 1/2 quart between changes - even with extended intervals when it never got close to 3k miles (yearly oil change regardless of miles). Never knocked, always ran strong, especially after the head work. I do not have a heavy foot either.

:beer: R

Thanks Ramon. I pulled a couple of rods and mains just to peek at them. There are a few scuffs and There was less than a thimble full of metal debris in the pan. No copper showing. I'll post some pics of the bearings and journals. They may be fine, I don't know. I guess if there is any question now is the time to get it right while it is on the stand and I don't need to use it. It may be a situation where I could just roll in some fresh bearings and rock on. I asked Onur about bearings and he said they were pricey. Don't recall exactly how much though.

Thanks Ramon. I pulled a couple of rods and mains just to peek at them. There are a few scuffs and There was less than a thimble full of metal debris in the pan. No copper showing. I'll post some pics of the bearings and journals. They may be fine, I don't know. I guess if there is any question now is the time to get it right while it is on the stand and I don't need to use it. It may be a situation where I could just roll in some fresh bearings and rock on. I asked Onur about bearings and he said they were pricey. Don't recall exactly how much though.

The whole motor had less than 100k on it and Ramon took good care of it. It's going to be fine for the next 150k miles man.

Put those caps back on and don't worry about it!

Johnny, if you and Ramon say it's good then I feel much better about re-sealing it and running it as is. I will still post pics for y'all to look at.

Johnny, if you and Ramon say it's good then I feel much better about re-sealing it and running it as is. I will still post pics for y'all to look at.

I took the head off of that motor when Ramon needed it to break in his 2FE block. I remember thinking it was super clean, inside and out. I'd slap it in without hesitating, other than the fact that it sounds like your current motor is running well :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom