Critical 3B Weakness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
gallery.2slow.ca
After 598,234, 3B's suffer a catastrophic failure of the power steering idler pulley. First, they wear, then they wear thin, then the edge of the pulley gets a nice razor sharp finish, and finally, at 598,234 kms, the idler pulley catastrophically fails, disintigrating in the process. These engines cannot be trusted. I'm putting in a SBC instead. I've never heard of an idler pulley on a SBC failing before the rest of the engine.

Peter Straub

that's pretty funny. I'm with you--SBC here we come! Always wanted a Chevyota.

B

Eric Winkworth said:
people that put chevy motors into yota should be sued!

Did not TOYOTA use a chevy 6 cylinder block at one time?

Some chevy 350's are great, not to mention the NP205 and MUNCIE 4 speed with the granny low, DANA 60, GM 14 bolt rear end!

I like TLC's a lot, but a chevy 4wd can do just as well as a TLC anytime. BOTH have there place, and why not mix and match?

GB

Gold Boy said:
Some chevy 350's are great, not to mention the NP205 and MUNCIE 4 speed with the granny low, DANA 60, GM 14 bolt rear end!

Whoah, there, Gold Boy. Them there's some serious fight'n words.

I actually was drawn in to the whole 'Strong one-ton iron' philosphy for a peroid of time during which time I was building TippyR, and an NP 203, NP205 and one tone drive shafts found a home in TippyR. In the process, I got an little wake-up about the truth of the matter. I won't waste my time explaining the illness of that way of thinking, but if I were to do it all again, I would use Cruiser parts, which are strong enough for a cruiser, and better engineered.

Peter Straub

Behemoth60 said:
Whoah, there, Gold Boy. Them there's some serious fight'n words.

I actually was drawn in to the whole 'Strong one-ton iron' philosphy for a peroid of time during which time I was building TippyR, and an NP 203, NP205 and one tone drive shafts found a home in TippyR. In the process, I got an little wake-up about the truth of the matter. I won't waste my time explaining the illness of that way of thinking, but if I were to do it all again, I would use Cruiser parts, which are strong enough for a cruiser, and better engineered.

Peter Straub

I agree :bounce: Each has there place :bounce2: I like both :bounce: I have to admit .when I am 50 miles back in there I would rather be in a toyota. :cheers: But for root pulling torque and cheap parts fun ah can't beat a chev :popcorn:

GB

ya and you can pass everything but a gas station with a chevy 350, and besides if it isn't diesel, I just don't care!

My chev 350 is on LPG (the clean fuel) and running less fuel cost then my 13 BT ....

:)

GB

GoldBoy:

The F engine (As used in the FJ40s) is extremely similar to the old Chev 235 (as built from 55+/- to 63 +/-) headers and intake manifolds actually fit. I swapped a Chevy 250 (a latter series engine, same bellhousing as the SBC) into my old FJ40, and referred to it as a "Toy-o-let".

The Japanese are well known for thier way of taking an idea that works and sort of - well - using it to meet thier needs. They save time, effort and money on the R & D costs I guess.
Regards

pretty soon the only thing v8 trucks are going to be good for is a push down a long hill and into a deep lake. How much fuel you pushing into your 13-bt, I get 1000kms to my 90 litre tank, I don't care to figure what that is but its good enough for me! Seems like I fill up alot less then my old 2.9 V6 ford. I wouldn't drive a domestic truck if I won it, unless I couldn't sell it!

Behemoth60 said:
After 598,234, 3B's suffer a catastrophic failure of the power steering idler pulley. First, they wear, then they wear thin, then the edge of the pulley gets a nice razor sharp finish, and finally, at 598,234 kms, the idler pulley catastrophically fails, disintigrating in the process. These engines cannot be trusted. I'm putting in a SBC instead. I've never heard of an idler pulley on a SBC failing before the rest of the engine.

Peter Straub

598,234? Humm, check with the dealer, might still be under warranty... :doh:

Gold Boy said:
I agree :bounce: Each has there place :bounce2: GB
yep, a SBC makes a great boat anchor...or maybe a flower pot...

Take the heads off and it would be a planter for 8 flower pots. Or 7 pots and a place for your beer. :cool:

-Kevin

Jim_Hbar said:
GoldBoy:

The F engine (As used in the FJ40s) is extremely similar to the old Chev 235 (as built from 55+/- to 63 +/-) headers and intake manifolds actually fit. I swapped a Chevy 250 (a latter series engine, same bellhousing as the SBC) into my old FJ40, and referred to it as a "Toy-o-let".

Whats this a Toyota Chev engine... No can't be...

Thanks

GB

sad but true the old F was based on the chevy six...
of course Toyota had to tear it all down and make it better...
;^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom