Creeking sound from suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off I'd like to say that I did the requisite searches and couldn't find an answer to my question. Secondly I'd like to state that I'm a complete mechanical retard so I hope you all will bear with me.
My question is in regards to a pronounced creeking sound coming from what sounds and feels like are coming from the suspension when I'm going over bumps and ruts both on and off road. I recently had installed (all as a result of this sight) a OME medium load suspension (no lift), roof rack, ARB front bumper (no winch), and 38 gallon fuel tank. Do I have to much weight on the 80 for these mods with this suspension? Could my bushings be bad? The creeking sound is driving me absolutely freakin nuts and just started when I did the aforementioned mods. Thanks for any help. Johnny O.

CRUISEHUNTER said:
Do I have to much weight on the 80 for these mods with this suspension?

The 38 gal tank full of fuel pretty much puts you in the 863/864 range for OME rear springs.

CRUISEHUNTER said:
Could my bushings be bad?

You might have some bushings that need to be replaced. The problem is that there are a lot of bushings under the truck. Top & bottom shock bushings, steering, control arms (F&R), body mounts, and on and on.

You need to spend some quality time on your back, under the truck and have someone bounce the truck up and down. You need to isolate the noise if you're going to find the source of the squeaks.

-B-

Last edited:
Wulf thanks for the help. I'm going to climb under the rig tonight and see if I can hear where the noise is coming from. In regards to the rear springs. If I go with 863 or 864 rear springs is it going to lift the rear end of my LC disproportionately to the front end? This may be a mute point since I've ordered Hanna rear bumper with tire carrier and jerri can holder, but I'm curious none the less.

You need to install the springs as a matched set. Christo can give you the best advice on matching the springs to the static weight you are carrying. 863 rears will give you a pronounced stink-bug look if used with the 860 front springs (what you're calling med load, no lift).

If your noises don't reveal themselves when bouncing the truck in the driveway then you can resort to Doug's method. Details are in the archives but basically, you duct tape a garden hose to the suspected area and drive around the neighborhood on a sunny Saturday afternoon when all the neighbors are outside working on the lawn. Shove one end of the hose in your ear, put on your goofiest hat, and confirm what the neighborhood suspected; that you're an obsessed Cruiser nut and your kids are not to be trusted with their kids.

The other, more technologically involved method is to get a pair of cheap FRS radios, preferably one that has an external mic feature. Find one of those cheapy PC mics that came with all the computers about 5 years ago. Duct tape one of the radios under the truck and put the mic next to a suspected component. Tune the other radio to the same channel and repeat the neighborhood driving exercise as above. You can leave off the goofy hat as the neighbors will think you're like them and talking on your cell phone. No worries.

-B-

Last edited:
Tighten shocks bolts. I'll bet they are too loose letting the new shock bushings squeak. There is a thread somewhere here on different ways to hold the shock body while tightening the bolts. I held mine with a pipe wrench. Most likely the front ones. Had the same thing happen to me shortly after installing a new set of springs and shocks.
Cheers,
Sean

Guy's thanks so much for the advice. Got my girlfreind to bounce on the rig last night, but at 5'0" and a 110 lbs I couldn't get her to make much of an impact, although the neighbors did get a kick out of watching a little Phillipino girl bouncing wildly on the Cruiser while her boyfreind was underneath it (lol). Some how I don't think the garden hose and tin hat idea would be to shocking to them where I am cocerned. In any event I'm going to check shock mount nuts and the sway bar bushings. If that doesn't work I'll go to the tape,hose, and hat. Again, thank you. Johnny O

Suspension noise

Mine squeaked and thunked for a year, drove me crazy (Still recovering). I had the wife bounce on the bumper and I pushed and pulled from below. Sounded like the rear shock, but... finally found one of the body mount bushings a little loose. It was the one under the waffel looking step plate on the floor inside the left rear door. Ahh so nice to cruise quietly now.
Rocky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom